Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Dual disc brakes DO NOT LAST!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 02:15 PM
CrewCabbinJer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual disc brakes DO NOT LAST!!!!

On my savage LE I have already replaced the dual discs twice, the first time the pads didnt last long and I had to replace them. I got the truck used so it wasnt a big deal, I was expecting that I would need to fix a few things. After I got the new brakes on they lasted about 6-7 tanks. Then the little fiber protion of the pad ripped out of the metal backers. The adhesive on the pad stuck well to the metal plates, I just dont know why I go through brakes so fast. I know Im hard on my truck but they should last longer then that. Anyone else have a similar problem?
Old 07-28-2006, 02:37 PM
benzzyo5

Default RE: Dual disc brakes DO NOT LAST!!!!

try not to fully apply the brakes all the time. ease on them or just let off the gas. i have the itegy brake kit and it's great, just don't use the brakes as muck let off the gas and if u need to use the brakes ease on them
Old 07-28-2006, 03:36 PM
savagely_maxx

yeah i know how u feel crew, mine didn't last 2 days[:@] and i pressed brakes like twice. it got me bumd and angry but i must have put something wrong.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:47 PM
SmoothInc

My first set lasted quite awhile so i decided to replace them again and the second set did exactly what yours did where the pad ripped off the plate. The next set of brakes im lookin at getting is going to be crazynutracing dual disc setup.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:32 PM
CrewCabbinJer

I know I put it back together correctly, I cant believe that these brakes dont last longer. I thought about cutting some brake material off of my old brake pads from my dirt bike and using some epoxy or JB weld to hold the pad on there. I bet that would do quite well as long as the pad doesnt come off. Do you have a link for those better brake pads?
Old 07-28-2006, 04:41 PM
SmoothInc

its a whole new brake kit and here it is http://www.crazynutracing.com/produc...89820532744034

You can also get them from sickhobbies i think.

I have heard that crazynutracing takes awhile to ship them to you i have no experience with that so i dont know if thats true or not.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:55 PM
Chronic

I don't think it would fix whatever is causing them to die that fast, but try dressing the discs and pads with some fine sandpaper. I get great life out of my brake pads. The discs were slightly grooved and rough from the factory, so I ground them flat and slightly polished them with the fine sandpaper. I also lightly sand the discs and pads(very lightly) whenever I clean the truck. This restores the flat surface and it also cleans any small particles that might be embedded in them.

Make sure there is absolutely no brake drag and try to keep them clean.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:10 PM
leslie_p

Hi all,

I recently upgraded my Savage X with the dual SS brakes. I'm new to MT's, I fly planks and helis. It seemed to me that stuck on brake pads were pretty lame. Being skeptical, I applied the pads and put the two pads/calipers in a vice over night to assure they 'set'. Might be over kill, but they're working real well. Keep in mind I'm a newb so I'm I'm not pushing the envelope, although with my new three speed tranny, I find I use the brakes more.....smirk

Cheers,
Leslie
Old 07-28-2006, 08:26 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: SmoothInc

its a whole new brake kit and here it is http://www.crazynutracing.com/produc...89820532744034

You can also get them from sickhobbies i think.
These are sweet looking brakes! I wonder how long they will last?

Anyway, the stock dual disk brakes from HPI are quite disposable. They require replacement often. Its now to the point where I now just buy gasket material, cut out new pads the same shape as the stock pads, and super glue them to the metal.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:51 PM
Yamaha9

I feel ya i bought a new savage le and keep it in the best condition , and the brakes maybe lasted me 10 tanks at the most and i still havnt fixed em since 3 months ago just havnt had too much time, i dont know what to do ive tried everything.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:09 PM
SmoothInc

well that set i showed doesnt have any pads on it to fall off like hpis dual disc. they only have a plate against each disc which i think would be better.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:49 PM
12Stones

How tight do you guys have the two screws that hold the brakes onto the gear box if you have them two tight then they will have drag and can glaze the pad, the brakes wont work that good.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:28 AM
suicidemachine

I've had my CNR's since last year and forgot all about them, never a problem. $25 well spent.

Old 07-29-2006, 08:50 AM
Revo Eater

Try the stock single disc. I got 5 gallons out of mine before they needed replaced. They will flip the truck over in grass.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:19 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: suicidemachine

I've had my CNR's since last year and forgot all about them, never a problem. $25 well spent.

Thats a crazy sick Savage setup! Wow! Nice truck dude!
Old 07-29-2006, 12:34 PM
Gravrober

Im just finishing the ninth gallon on the same dual brakes that came with my SS, they still work great.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:43 PM
Gravrober

ORIGINAL: 12Stones

How tight do you guys have the two screws that hold the brakes onto the gear box if you have them two tight then they will have drag and can glaze the pad, the brakes wont work that good.
I put forma gasket on the threads then tighten til just before they drag, then let it dry overnight. it holds them perfect and come apart like a breeze when servicing.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:17 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

I am wondering if when they make a batch of pads each time they use a different material? My double disc set up came with my 4.6SS and I have gone throw a set of alloy shoes and still running the same brakes. I have well over 3 gallons on it and the pads still look fine.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:42 PM
SmoothInc

oh yeah my first set worked great went for at least four or five gallons then they finally stopped working. thats why i decided to try them again thats when i got a ripped pad after a few tanks and they seemed like they didnt grap as well as the first set did even when they were new.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:54 PM
CrewCabbinJer

Well I did some thinking and I had an extra set of metal discs and the little metal pads with no composite pad on them. Nevertheless, I shimmed the screws so it would take the slack from having no pads in there up. And no its running metal on metal, Im sure what will happen is the discs will get so hot they will warp. But so far I have had about 5 tanks through it and it stops great, I havent even had to adjust them yet. Time will tell to see how many more tanks I can get through it before the discs warp. Ill let you guys know what the ultimate demise will be to these brakes as a result on running metal on metal. The brakes were actually started to get very very grabby. Far too much, I was afraid it would brake the front diff, it was doing constant front flips. So I ended up spraying a small amount of good ole wd40 on the discs and that let them slip a little bit for the next few tanks. Well see how it goes, Im almost tempted to run the stock composite discs, even though they dont stop as well Im sure they last much longer.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:14 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Yep. Me too. My dual disks just failed on me again; this is the fifth time I have to service my dual disc brakes. I'm gonna order a set of the carbon fiber dual disc brake setup recommended by SmoothInc. I hope this will solve this problem.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:56 PM
SmoothInc

savagejim you will have to let me know how the crazynutracing set works out for you.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:39 PM
savagejb

Before ordering from these guys, you might want to check the reviews section. Seems they have a real issue sending things out. Also, if they're leaving all these negative reviews on their own web site, you have to wonder if anyone is even monitoring the site...
Old 07-31-2006, 02:46 PM
SmoothInc

if your really concerned about someone sending them out to you i do believe they were on sickhobbies website also.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:42 PM
Dave33
My Feedback: (2)

Anyone thinking of ordering brakes from Crazynut better read this.
http://www.savage-central.com/module...wtopic&t=58136

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.