Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

Review in Progress: Hot Bodies Lightning GT10

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Review in Progress: Hot Bodies Lightning GT10

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 04:42 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Review in Progress: Hot Bodies Lightning GT10

That truck looks like fun to me.. Unfortunately, it's just WAY stupidly overpriced here in Germany(but then so is everything - but seriously, it's about the price of an MTA4 S28..)

I have a question though: what is this truck's target niche? What's it intended to compete with - the MT2, Jato, Tower Terror, et al???
Old 12-18-2006, 04:54 AM
SpikeX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, it is WAY overpriced in Germany. The official list price for the GT10 is 439.90 EUROS, the equivalent of $575! A Savage X RTR, for example, costs 499.90 EUROS ($655), and a Wheely King costs 229.90 EUROS ($300)!

This hobby is extremely expensive in Europe (apart from the UK, where there is a big difference. When I first joined this forum, and saw everyone with 7+ trucks and changing engines every few months, I thought everyone had to be millionaires! For me, I can only get an new engine for my Birthday, and even an unassembled 3-speed ($130) requires a lot of saving up. But then again, if I could get everything when I wanted, this hobby would become boring!
Old 12-18-2006, 05:02 AM
HerrSavage

I will say this though Spike: keep an eye out for things on e-bay - especially blatantly overpriced things like this. The bigger 1/8 Lightning GT has a normal price of €599 - which is just stupid - but there simply aren't enough people who will spend that much, so sometimes shops will just auction them off. I got my LGT for €370 shipped in an e-bay auction.

I think eventually the real price for this truck will settle down to around €375 or so, which I still wouldn't spend - but if I saw one go for €275 or so I might bite..

Another really fun truck in this segment looks to be the Tower Terror - or the Jamara Track Sau as it's known here in Germany. From Tower it costs like $300(€250 or so..), while the Trach Sau here costs a good €400..

Main difference performance-wise I guess is that with the Tower Terror/Track Sau you can do wheelies all day long. This LGT10 won't do the wheelies, but I'll bet it's a lot tougher. Overall I'm a very big fan of Hot Bodies products - good quality stuff..
Old 12-18-2006, 08:54 AM
Misbehavin

That truck looks like fun to me.. Unfortunately, it's just WAY stupidly overpriced here in Germany(but then so is everything - but seriously, it's about the price of an MTA4 S28..)

I have a question though: what is this truck's target niche? What's it intended to compete with - the MT2, Jato, Tower Terror, et al???
I can't speak for German pricing, but the $430 U.S. price is easily within the ballpark for a RTR 4WD truck.

Yes, it is WAY overpriced in Germany. The official list price for the GT10 is 439.90 EUROS, the equivalent of $575! A Savage X RTR, for example, costs 499.90 EUROS ($655), and a Wheely King costs 229.90 EUROS ($300)!
I'm not sure how that qualifies it as overpriced. Obviously it will be priced higher than a Wheelie King. It's also priced lower than the Savage. So it falls within the range I'd expect, and in fact there's a bigger price gap between the Savage X and the GT10 over there than there is here. So that tends to go against what you're trying to emphasize.

Bear in mind that the U.S. equivilent prices over there are higher than what I'd see here in the states, but there's substantial costs associated with getting the trucks to another country. Some of the costs are taxes and tariffs, other costs are related to transportation and shipping. Either way, these get reflected in the price. Manufacturers aren't going to eat those costs, as they can't operate very long in the red!

As far as targeted competition goes, the Lightning GT10 doesn't really have any specific competition. There's really no other 1/10 scale truggy-like platform out there at the moment. However, it would loosely compete against other 4WD stadium trucks although that really isn't an apples to apples comparision. The GT10 offers much more agile package than any 4WD stadium truck I'm familar with.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:52 AM
R_man_5k
My Feedback: (14)

very well writen. Thanks for taking your time to do the review.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:07 PM
HerrSavage

For the manufacturer, yes, costs are costs. But it works both ways. At €430 they won't be selling many over here..

And as I've said before, I'm a big Hot Bodies fan.. - because of their quality. Shame it can't work out in this case..
Old 12-18-2006, 09:45 PM
Misbehavin

At €430 they won't be selling many over here..
That may be and, if they have the room, the price will adjust itself as the market dictates.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:06 PM
USERNAMEHERE

Hi. I cant seem to get the video link for the "Hot Bodies Lightning GT10" review to work. Can anybody eltse get it to work?
Old 12-28-2006, 08:23 AM
HerrSavage

Anybody even heard of anybody who's got this truck??
Old 12-28-2006, 02:54 PM
R_man_5k
My Feedback: (14)

not yet. I would love one... but I am still recovering from christmas. more than likely my next truck will be the Jammin CRT .5 and then next on the list would be the HB L GT10
Old 04-04-2007, 07:25 AM
Kaveman

Hey,
Great review and video!! Just ordered mine yesterday. Interested in what would be a good tire/rim combination for this truck on the track? The stock rims and tires seem to be an odd size or at least not common from what I can tell.... Really like the Dirt Bonz on my Savage X but I'm guessing they'd be too big and the 2.2 size Dirt Bonz would be too small?

Thanx,
Kaveman
Old 05-17-2007, 08:54 PM
performula

I had to have one. Ordered it two days ago. The price was just too hard to ignore.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:30 AM
HerrSavage

I would think Dirt Bonz on some light dish truggy rims would be just fine....
Old 06-03-2007, 02:51 AM
xxx4 and 2 more

I just orderd one of these too. The price drop made it a really aractive little truck. Hell... I was cheaper than an mini LST and a heck of alot more truck.

As far as tires go I was thinking about trying out a set of the Maxx size Komodo Dragon tires. Just not sure what kind of wheel hex this little truck has? Is it 12mm, 14mm 17mm???? Anyone know the axle diameter?
Old 06-03-2007, 02:57 AM
HerrSavage

Jeeze.. Are they STILL going for 200 bucks?? Post some pics and vids..
Old 06-03-2007, 05:31 AM
Kaveman

The axles are 5x40mm and it comes with 14mm hex wheels.

I also noticed that there is a GT10 Sport coming out in late July although Hot Bodies doesn't have it on their website yet so there's not much information available as of right now.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:32 AM
HerrSavage

What's that going to be??