Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

disappearing dogbones

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 12:08 AM
-SomeGuy-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default disappearing dogbones

Ok so i've been meaning to post this for a while now but always forget by the time i get here[&:].

Theres this one place where i go to do some light bashing just because its a 5 min walk from home where there are 5 or 6 volley ball courts set up (sand and all). Thing is about this spot is it seems to have some weird dogbone "bermuda triangle" thing going on.

Earlier this past summer i had lost a front center DB while bashing and didnt think much about it because they were getting old and i just thought it snapped and fell out. I was also considering that maybe some screws had fallen out and the truck flexed in a way that it just popped out but on further inspection i found that everything was in place and solid. The next time i go to this spot the exact same thing happens, drive cups still in place, no missing screws, nothing wrong that i could see.

Summer passes, cant go to the spot because its reserved for volley ball players practicing for competition. Used the truck at other spots and no DB problems.

Now the cold weather is here and no one is using the VB playground anymore so its my turn, havent been there in months. Started riding around in the grassy area, everything is fine, then i decide to go in the sand. As soon as my truck hits the sand i notice my truck is in front wheel drive only. So i go to inspect and find that my rear left DB is gone and NOTHING is broken. My friend gives me a spare he had in his tool box and i pop it in, get the truck going, doing a few high speed passes and go back in the sand. After maybe 5 minutes in the sand i notice my truck is in front wheel drive AGAIN. So i go to take a look again and this time its the rear center DB thats gone. At this point im getting a little pissed and really confused. Keep in mind that NOTHING ever broke on the truck and nothing else disappeared. Another weird thing is that i never found any of these 4 dogbones so i dont know if they broke or not.

I have taken much time inspecting the truck and honestly im stumped, cant figure how or why this is happening. And now i need your help because this is really getting on my nerves, well not being able to figure it out is anyways.

So please shoot me any thoughts, theories, ideas, speculations, ANYTHING. And if you need pics of any part of the truck just let me know what and ill get them up ASAP as i still have it apart now.

The only thing i could come up with as an explanation is the wear on the drive cups not being even on both sides but that wouldnt explain the rear left DB coming out, apart from that i am completely stumped...

SomeGuy
Old 12-04-2006, 09:49 AM
Surfrider

Default RE: disappearing dogbones

Hah! "The Bermuda Triangle of dogbones"...lol. Classic!

I really have no idea though. When you said that the rear center dogbone was missing, I was going to ask and make sure you werent putting the shorter front dogbone in the rear by accident. But I have no idea how you could have lost one of the axled dogbones. It does seem a bit strange. I have bent one of my rear dogbones to the point it wouldnt clear the lower control arm, but it still wasnt enough to dislodge from the cups.

The only time I have seen a dogbone come out of the cup is when a friend had broken one of his plastic axle carriers. When he would make a full lock turn and the truck would lean on that front axle, the dogbone would come out of its cup, but never fully fell out.

Sorry I cant help much, and good luck!
Old 12-04-2006, 01:26 PM
-SomeGuy-

Thanks for the input Surfrider, i dont think it has anything to do with the plastic axle carriers though. And no it wasnt a front center DB i put in the back or else i wouldnt have been able to ride because it would have fallen out right away.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:37 PM
TM323

is it just your truck or does your budy who gave you a bone have the same problem regardless of the answer till you get figured out stay away, stay away from the cursed bermuda triangle of dogbones!!! mainly because you are gonna mame some guy who goes for a spike and lands on one of those bones!

or just take you a metal detector when you go out
Old 12-04-2006, 04:37 PM
DavidKirkbride

lol im useless as i dont even own a savage but the triangle stuff cracked me up :P legendary
Old 12-04-2006, 04:45 PM
-SomeGuy-

ORIGINAL: TM323

is it just your truck or does your budy who gave you a bone have the same problem regardless of the answer till you get figured out stay away, stay away from the cursed bermuda triangle of dogbones!!! mainly because you are gonna mame some guy who goes for a spike and lands on one of those bones!

or just take you a metal detector when you go out
Hey i never thought of that duh, someone could really get hurt on one of those dogbones (if its broken). I do see people doing the metal detector thing now and then, maybe they have my DBs lol. And no my friends never had a problem at this spot (we were 4 last time) but they seem to be scared of going in the sand in general. I know its not to good for the truck but its fun.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:31 PM
Surfrider

Dont let the sand scare you in general. I bash mine out at the sand dunes here in the middle east (currently). You just have to give a little extra TLC after each run. It may be a bit harsher on things like the aluminum clutch shoes and things, but just give everything a good cleaning when finished and it should be fine.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:02 PM
Heshup

Ok I know what is happing with you dogbones.

Have you thought to look for any dogs in the park. Dog - Dogbones.

Couldn't help myself. Now I will craw back in my hole.

Stone
Old 12-04-2006, 09:27 PM
brownstone101

lol

i though i was bad this guys worse than me[8D] just playin
Old 12-04-2006, 10:35 PM
-SomeGuy-

ORIGINAL: Heshup

Ok I know what is happing with you dogbones.

Have you thought to look for any dogs in the park. Dog - Dogbones.

Couldn't help myself. Now I will craw back in my hole.

Stone
lol! Thats not bad considering one of the reasons my truck is still apart is that at one point i must have done a wheelie on some dog crap because the inside of the rear skid plate and rear body mount was splattered with it [sm=52_52.gif][:'(][:@][sm=angry_smile.gif]. My friends all thought it was real funny, throwing jokes like "man your truck is really *****ty" and "you cant drive for *****" and stuff like that. That on top of the dogbones made my day an uber scheiss .
Old 12-05-2006, 12:03 AM
paintstikker

Hmm, Ive driven mine in a nice steamy pile of goose crap...

I like that "dogbone bermuda triangle." I have a metal detector, so I can find my lost parts. But yeah, you dont want somebody to land on one sticking out of the sand.[:@]

Ive neve driven in sand, where I live, there is only clay, lava rock, cliffs, and hard dirt (or sause that sucks you in during winter, anything and everything gets stuck regardless of what it is.[:'(] There is some sandlike dirt, but its still dirt. Never had trouble with dogbones anyway, so I cant help.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:13 PM
tommythecat
My Feedback: (2)

It's the Dogbone Gnomes. Contrary to popular belief, the Dogbone Gnomes are in no way affiliated with the underpants gnomes that were featured on Southpark.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:05 PM
-SomeGuy-

ORIGINAL: tommythecat

It's the Dogbone Gnomes. Contrary to popular belief, the Dogbone Gnomes are in no way affiliated with the underpants gnomes that were featured on Southpark.
Those damn dogbone gnomes [sm=angry.gif]. Wait till i find them. Maybe it was the crab people.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:30 PM
dude7422

ok i use to have same problem with rc10 use small o rings in the female part of dog bone to stop this try it ok 2 or 3 o rings each side of db
Old 12-05-2006, 05:40 PM
-SomeGuy-

ORIGINAL: dude7422

ok i use to have same problem with rc10 use small o rings in the female part of dog bone to stop this try it ok 2 or 3 o rings each side of db
Ok i'll try it but how it this going to prevent my DBs from vanishing off my truck? Im thinking of just getting CVDs all around like in my racer.

Old 12-05-2006, 06:40 PM
brownstone101

then all of a sudden you will just have a very expensive spinning nub under your truck when the drive shaft part disappears [8D]

o just watched the 9/11 south park....

i would have to say....... your missing dogbones has to do with the 9/11attack!

you lost 3 dogbones 3 in the fact that 9/11 has 3 numbers 3 numbers=9/11= 9+1+1=11 MUHAHAHAHAHAH
[8D]
Old 12-06-2006, 01:30 AM
-SomeGuy-

ORIGINAL: brownstone101

then all of a sudden you will just have a very expensive spinning nub under your truck when the drive shaft part disappears [8D]

o just watched the 9/11 south park....

i would have to say....... your missing dogbones has to do with the 9/11attack!

you lost 3 dogbones 3 in the fact that 9/11 has 3 numbers 3 numbers=9/11= 9+1+1=11 MUHAHAHAHAHAH
[8D]
Sorry i dont get it. What episode # is that one, i'll have to check it out. I like the one "2 days before the day after tomorrow" OMG thats today!! lol.

But seriously guys does nobody have any idea why my DB are disappearing?
Old 12-06-2006, 02:15 AM
paintstikker

Hmmm, never saw that episode of South Park.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:55 AM
Surfrider

ORIGINAL: someguywitasavage
...But seriously guys does nobody have any idea why my DB are disappearing?
I honestly think your "Bermuda Triangle of Dogbones" theory is the best explanation I can think of! [X(]
Old 12-06-2006, 11:24 PM
brownstone101

[link=http://here it is 9/11 south park]http://www.thepoliticalpitbull.com/2006/10/video_south_park_slams_911_tru_1.php[/link]

i was makeign fun of cartmen doign all the math but watch it all its funny
Old 12-06-2006, 11:37 PM
spiftacu1ar

ya, i agree the bermuda triangle of dogbones does seem to be the most logical reason (yes i said logical). It is funny too. But then again maybe the sand is actually alive, but can only do stuff while it is being thrown up in the air by something like... well your savage. anywho, that was enough randomness for the day.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:47 PM
-SomeGuy-

I went back to the spot today but i decided to take my other truck with cvds this time. Well guess what... Yes it happened again, i just dont get it but i have a new theory. In the beginning of summer i had gotten into an argument with the guy who manages the vb fields, he came at me with insults and threats saying that this kind of hobby was for people who had a suburban mentality and he was going to call the cops on me. Thing is i had already asked a police officer if there was any reason why i couldnt use my truck in this area and he told me that there was nothing illegal about it and as long as i was careful of others around me it was fine since its a public park. So i told them to go ahead and call the cops which they did after about ten minutes of arguing about it. He probably thought it would scare me away but i told him that i would wait for the cops with him and so i waited and waited. I could just imagine how the call went: "911 whats your emergency? vb guy: Yeah theres this guy who is playing with a remote controlled truck and its making allot of noise and we cant concentrate on the ball. 911: uuuhh.... ok so whats the emergency? is someone hurt? vb guy: Well no but hes bothering us. 911: ok sir i'll see if i can get someone to pass by." Needless to say they never came but probably had a good laugh about it.

Thing is that if they would have asked nicely and taken the time to explain that these were athletes in training and not just a bunch of people playing vb we would have gladly left without any argument but being told that the noise of my truck is like ***** in his ears and that i didnt have the right to be there really insulted me. More the fact that he acted like it was HIS land and not a public park that my tax dollars also pay for. Apparently he even hired security guards after wards (or so my friend told me) but i never went back while they were there, not yet anyways. What could those guards do? tell me to go away? If they even thought of touching me or my truck it would be me calling the cops on them and with a good reason. (sorry but i needed to rant about that because it still burns whenever i think about it [:@])

So now im thinking that maybe the vb guy hired a voodoo priest or something like that to put an anti rc curse on the fields. I just cant think of any other logical reason why this would happen over and over.

One thing is for sure, next summer im going to gather ALL the people i know who have a nitro rc, whatever it might be, and were going to get there nice and early and just bash all day right next to them. If they think 2 trucks are noisy wait till its like 10 or 15 [>:]. I know it sucks for the athletes but until i get either an apology from the vb guy or at least a friendly request to go somewhere else... ITS ON!!! lol.

Maybe i should hire my own voodoo priest to put some anti vb manager curse on the area [sm=lol.gif].

BTW i didnt lose the db this time because its a cvd but it popped out of the drive cup on the tranny without breaking anything [sm=confused.gif].
Old 12-14-2006, 05:55 PM
spiftacu1ar

That may be more *logical* but, the bermuda triangle of dogbones definately seems better and funnier.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:59 PM
-SomeGuy-

At this point either one is a plausible explanation but well never know i guess. But yeah the triangle theory is funnier.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:19 PM
dracy69
My Feedback: (1)

i think the upper hinge pin slid out, let the suspension come apart, the dogbone was ejected. then everything magically slid back together.............all i can think of.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.