Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage X fuel and break-in question

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage X fuel and break-in question

Should I use 20% or 25% for my savage X?

this a good way to break-in the Savage X? http://www.johnnycoolguy.com/JCGR/ma..._break-in.html

Old 12-27-2006, 01:02 PM

Default RE: Savage X fuel

does your LHS carry both?
Old 12-27-2006, 01:22 PM

my local hobby shop is 4 hours away Not sure did not call them. Why?
Old 12-27-2006, 01:36 PM

are u planning on getting your fuel from your LHS? thats preyy far just to get fuel, and i asked this because if they do't have 20 htne get 25, i would use 20. and i also accually use 20%
Old 12-27-2006, 02:13 PM

ok Thanks. I like your pic
Old 12-27-2006, 02:26 PM

yup, cool huh. also it's the truth........lol
Old 12-27-2006, 03:29 PM

Also this a good way to break in the Savage X? http://www.johnnycoolguy.com/JCGR/ma..._break-in.html

Old 12-27-2006, 03:34 PM

I would also like to know, as I will be using exactly the same method for the break-in of my Savage X SS.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:17 PM

ORIGINAL: Stein

Also this a good way to break in the Savage X? http://www.johnnycoolguy.com/JCGR/ma..._break-in.html

This is the heat-cycling method...supposed to give you a lot better performance in the long-run.
However, my advice is this...if you're new into Nitro or just starting out with your Savage X, I would just follow the break-in procedure as stated in the manual...however if you've broken in a few engines before and have some experience with nitro, I would recommend the heat-cycling method as mentioned in your link.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:21 PM

Default RE: Savage X fuel and break-in question

^^^ agreed.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:52 PM

We're going to break in an X RTR tonight with the heat-cycle method.... I'll let you know how it goes...

[8D]
Old 12-28-2006, 01:10 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

I used the heat cycle method to break in my 4.6 SS and after well over 7 plus gallons still running strong.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:37 AM

So... we did the heat-cycle method tonight on the X RTR with 20% Byron Race Blend... and a Real McCoy MC-59 hot glow plug (3 deg Celcius... which is about 37 deg fahrenheit... so it was a cold evening). No probs... kept the temp around 150-175 as much as possible. Leaned it out from the factory super rich break-in setting... but was still running a bit rich. No... we did not cover the head with a sock or anything, but we managed to keep the temp high enough.

Did four 3 minute runs cooling it off at BDC each time... then three 5 minute runs cooling it off at BDC each time. Wow... what a difference. By the second 5 minute cycle that thing was really loosening up. Easier to start.... not so pinched on top, but still nice and tight. I'll be doing this method for sure on my next engine (this was a friend's X).... as I did the method in the manual for mine.

I think we'll be having a good bash session this coming weekend and see if we can't break his nice new truck!!

[8D]
Old 12-28-2006, 08:10 AM

TheOtherSide How many tanks did you go through by doing it this way?
Old 12-28-2006, 11:39 AM

ORIGINAL: Stein

TheOtherSide How many tanks did you go through by doing it this way?
Approx 2.... we kept topping off the tank for each run so there would be no chance of running out and going lean.

Make sure you pull the glow plug after each run and make sure the piston is at the bottom of travel (BDC - bottom dead center).

I say do it.... unless as said before you may not have any nitro experience.... then I'd do the HPI method layed out in the manual.

Let me know how it all goes for you!
Old 12-30-2006, 04:22 PM

How much throttle do you give it breaking it in like this. Just half and putt around or?

Thanks,
Old 12-30-2006, 05:07 PM

Just vary the throttle... a few wide opens for a little bit...mostly 50-70% or so... worked great for us. I suppose you can do some low rpm too...

Old 01-07-2007, 07:55 PM

Did some break in on mine and my friends Savage X today. His would stay around 200-210 F but mine would get up to about 210-230 doing it the same way as his? We ran 5 times for about 3 min each time. He went through almost a tank and I went through a little over a half tank. I know it sounds like mine was too lean but it was blowing smoke like his was? Very strange. Getting it in the 220-230 at the end of the 3 min run will that hurt it? It got dark so we had to stop. Next time we will run it for 3-4 min at a time for total of 20-25 min letting it cool down between runs. If you did the heat cycle break-in what temps did you get?

Thanks,
Old 01-07-2007, 08:11 PM

Last night i broke in my Savage X and i followed the manual. It ended up rattling out a screw from the rotostarter thing. So i tore my rear end apart and got it back together. anyways im struggling with getting it started and running again. I ran a full tank of fuel threw and let it cool. its also pretty cold here where i live, around 30 degrees. i pulled my plug out and checked it out and is it supposed to glow red when you have your plug heater thing on it? mine wasn't glowing. im kind of frustrated if anyone could help me out i would be very appreciative!
Old 01-07-2007, 08:20 PM

Sounds like your glow plug is dead or your battery on your glow igniter is dead. Yes the glow plug should be bright orange-red. If it does not glow it will not start. Charge your glow igniter and then try the plug again if it does not glow its dead. Once you get a plug that glows then if you still cant get it to start let us know.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:39 PM

alright thats what i figured, thanks for your help!!! ill have to wait til after work tomorrow to get another plug. ill post after i try to run it again.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:35 PM

okay so new glow plug installed. had it running for a minute and drove it outside and it stalled. i dont get what i am doing wrong. once it stalled i cant get it running again. PLEASE HELP
Old 01-09-2007, 08:52 AM

Make sure your glow plug is ok again and that your glow igniter is charged. Sounds like they are because it started. Set your high speed and low speed back to factory setting. The screw head should be even with the thing it screws into. Look at your manual to see what I mean or look here http://www.savage-central.com/ftopic6471.html

Take out your glow plug. Put you finger over the exhaust on the muffler and turn the motor over with the rotostart. Keep doing it until you have fuel coming out the hole. Put the plug back in and make sure your throttle trim is open some. Try to start it. If it starts keep the throttle trim up some to warm it up with the wheels off the ground. just warm it up for a min or so. Try to drive it now if it is too lean or rich adjust as needed. Try this if it does not work let me know what happened we can go from there.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:28 PM

I found it helps if you very very slowly increase the throttle, for about 10 secs or so, just to get it warmed up. Even now in cold winter when the temp is around 5C, I have to increase the throttle slowly. I have about 4 gallons on the F4.1. If I go straight to no more that 1/4 throttle it will stall. After it has warmed up, I can get to full throttle, although itinially it bogs, but after that fine. No problems.

EDIT : If any of you want tuning tips then I have uploaded the HPI DVD that comes with cars here in the UK. It is very helpful in tuning, especially if it is your first nitro. The old school break in method is there too.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:00 PM

thank you for your help. i successfully ran 2 tanks of fuel threw it tonight. im debating when i should tune it, after i buy the temp gun thing or do it and try and go by the smoke out of the muffler technique.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.