Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

Question about HPI Aluminum Clutch shoe set

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Question about HPI Aluminum Clutch shoe set

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 02:13 AM
phoenix_stu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about HPI Aluminum Clutch shoe set

Sorry if this sounds stupid.

The set comes with two sets of springs, Silver and Gold. It says use the silver on s-25 engines and gold on the 4.6 engin. No mention of the 4.1 I have. Would it be safe to say that I can use the gold springs on my 4.1?
Since I am new to this and I am still learning the engines. I am assuming the S in the s-25 means small block. Am I correct? If I am correct, then since the 4.1 is a big block I should use the gold springs. Right?

Input please.

Thanks
Old 04-17-2007, 03:15 AM
l3asher

Default RE: Question about HPI Aluminum Clutch shoe set

The "S" does not mean small block. The "S" means Savage. I'm not sure which is which for the springs but you can use either one on the 4.1. The stiffer the spring the more the engine revs up before engaging the CB and a harder take odd per say.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:44 AM
phoenix_stu

ORIGINAL: l3asher

The "S" does not mean small block. The "S" means Savage. I'm not sure which is which for the springs but you can use either one on the 4.1. The stiffer the spring the more the engine revs up before engaging the CB and a harder take odd per say.
So which one would be better. Would it be better to have it rev higher before the CB kicks in. Wouldn't that cause undue wear? I do understand when you say a harder take off but if it has to rev higher to engage the CB would that par say decrease response time when you pull the throttle?
Old 04-17-2007, 06:41 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look closely at the springs, measure them with calipers if you can (diameter of spring wire), the thicker the spring, the later the engagement. A late engagement engages the clutch later in the powerband of the engine, giving you a faster take off, racers would do this. It doesn't necessarily cause undue wear unless you WOT it straight from the off, you can still build the revs slowly until it begins to bite and THEN give it some. Experiment...find what you prefer...
Old 04-17-2007, 07:44 AM
munro300

Use the gold they are thicker and made for the 4.6 but Im sure they would work great on the 4.1, you will be amazed by the improvement in the take off of your savage.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:28 AM
BigGrump

I have found having the engine able to rev higher before taking off is an advantage because you can blip the throttle a little without the truck jumping around all the time, also the idle can be a bit higher without the clutch shoes dragging when you are stopped. I have not noticed any wear caused by late engagment. I do notice clutch wear from full throttle starts, is there any other kind?????? LOL...

Dennis
Old 04-17-2007, 10:44 AM
Brandon00RT

Are aluminum clutch shoes the way to go? I was told they heat up the CB where it gets TOO hot
Old 04-17-2007, 10:52 AM
phoenix_stu

ORIGINAL: BigGrump

I have found having the engine able to rev higher before taking off is an advantage because you can blip the throttle a little without the truck jumping around all the time, also the idle can be a bit higher without the clutch shoes dragging when you are stopped. I have not noticed any wear caused by late engagment. I do notice clutch wear from full throttle starts, is there any other kind?????? LOL...

Dennis

Well we will see. I just threw em' on, along with a new Steel spur set and Racing CB. My dual brakes will arrive tomorrow and I will throw them on and then we will see what she's got.

And for the full throttle starts. Yup, no other way to go.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:53 AM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: phoenix_stu

The set comes with two sets of springs, Silver and Gold. It says use the silver on s-25 engines and gold on the 4.6 engin. No mention of the 4.1 I have. Would it be safe to say that I can use the gold springs on my 4.1?
Since I am new to this and I am still learning the engines. I am assuming the S in the s-25 means small block. Am I correct? If I am correct, then since the 4.1 is a big block I should use the gold springs. Right?

Input please.

Thanks
HPI says the golds are for a .28/4.6 engine and the silvers are for a .25/4.1. Use the silver springs with your .25/4.1. I'd stick with these guidelines for optimal performance. FYI-I'm using the gold springs and allen screws with my Axial .28 and this thing hits hard with that combo.

edit-Oh yeah, the included allen screws that thread into the shoes are only used with the gold springs/4.6 and up setups.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:54 AM
The_DDub

Isn't the 4.1 a .25cu engine?
Old 04-17-2007, 11:59 AM
black mamba

Yep. And a .28 is a 4.6 and a .32 is a 5.2.[8D]
Old 04-17-2007, 12:38 PM
phoenix_stu

ORIGINAL: gravediggerracing

ORIGINAL: phoenix_stu

Input please.

Thanks
HPI says the golds are for a .28/4.6 engine and the silvers are for a .25/4.1. Use the silver springs with your .25/4.1. I'd stick with these guidelines for optimal performance. FYI-I'm using the gold springs and allen screws with my Axial .28 and this thing hits hard with that combo.

edit-Oh yeah, the included allen screws that thread into the shoes are only used with the gold springs/4.6 and up setups.
Well I hope I didn't screw up. I used the set screws AND the gold springs. NG???
I still have to take it apart again tomorrow to add the dual disk breaks. Should I change the springs?
Also, How do I get the driveshaft off to get to the break assembly?
Sorry if the last thing is a topic jump. If someone wants to PM me with the info and stick to the subject thats cool.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:39 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The dual disc brake set comes with instructions, follow them, I did, it wasn't hard...I kinda groaned when I realised I'd have to remove one entire side of the truck, but it really wasn't that tough.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:57 PM
rcnitrohead

Remove the hex screws from the clutch. I used to run my S-25 with both setpus which means the silver and gold screws. With the silver the truck easily started moving on idle, its great for rock crawling but not for regualr driving. The gold springs are the way to go, my lhs guy told me the allen screws would put be too much for the S-25. Now I have upgraded to an STS .30 so I will be running gold springs with all screws on it. I cant wait till I start her up![>:]
Old 04-17-2007, 07:11 PM
carldav

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

Remove the hex screws from the clutch. I used to run my S-25 with both setpus which means the silver and gold screws. With the silver the truck easily started moving on idle, its great for rock crawling but not for regualr driving. The gold springs are the way to go, my lhs guy told me the allen screws would put be too much for the S-25. Now I have upgraded to an STS .30 so I will be running gold springs with all screws on it. I cant wait till I start her up![>:]
Good Day

I also happen to have a Savage X SS with a 4.6 engine. I also installed the Aluminum clutch shoes. I'm just curious of the screws being used for the clutch. What are the use of those screws? Are they used for weight or something?

Also, will it wear my racing CB?

Thanks!
Old 04-17-2007, 07:49 PM
munro300

Gravedigger, how long have you had the hpi aluminum shoes on for? I was just wondering what kind of life I am gonna get out of em, everyone says they are crap but im impressed by the performance on my axial .28 they are awesome compared to the stock X shoes.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:26 PM
rcnitrohead

Im 90% sure they are used as counterweights to provide later engagement. Correct me if I'm wrong guys[8D]
Old 04-17-2007, 10:53 PM
silvergagt04

The allen set screws are used for weight. They make the engagement EARLIER, not later. I have the HPI aluminum shoes and I am using the silver springs with the set screws on my .25. I like them, and sofar have not noticed any fast wear, but I only have about 3 tanks or so on them so I cant really say.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:41 AM
black mamba

Here's a link that can answer some questions about shoes and weight. http://kimedennis.tripod.com/
Old 04-18-2007, 09:43 AM
black mamba

ORIGINAL: munro300

Gravedigger, how long have you had the hpi aluminum shoes on for? I was just wondering what kind of life I am gonna get out of em, everyone says they are crap but im impressed by the performance on my axial .28 they are awesome compared to the stock X shoes.
They've been on my truck for a few months now, but I've only got about a month of use on them. I haven't pulled the CB off to look at them so I have no clue as to how they are wearing.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:55 AM
black mamba

The allen set screws are used for weight. They make the engagement EARLIER, not later. I have the HPI aluminum shoes and I am using the silver springs with the set screws on my .25.
Yes, the screws are there to add or remove weight to the shoes. A heavier shoe engages sooner, whereas a heavier spring engages later. A lighter shoe engages later, whereas a lighter spring engages earlier. Mix and match amongst them to get the optimal bite for your engine's powerband. [8D]
Old 04-18-2007, 09:43 PM
Stablock

ORIGINAL: l3asher

The "S" doesn't mean Savage. It means Star.

http://www.hpiracing.com/instructions/index.htm#Nitro Star Engines
Old 04-18-2007, 09:59 PM
rcnitrohead

Thanks for correcting me My lhs guy is a bum