Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 01:41 PM
wnacrsh
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes

Hello, I had recently picked up a Savage LE and I was checking everything over and have noticed that the brake does not return fully to the "nuetral" position. It reyurns about 75% . And the end result is dragging unless you physically slide it back the remainder of the way. The servo is returning 100% it is just the linkage. Is there a way to rig a spring up or????
Old 05-01-2007, 04:26 PM
Vigilante212

Default RE: Brakes

You can add a lock coller to it to retrun it all the way, but I wouldnt worry too much about it .
Old 05-01-2007, 05:08 PM
wnacrsh

Well,
I have to do something because it is dragging everytime that brakes are used. And it is going to cause damage. So I do need a fix.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:19 PM
fxrs

I have an LE and the linkage does not return fully. Just the nature
of the beast.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz76795.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	676097  
Old 05-02-2007, 10:48 AM
wnacrsh

I will be adding a lock collar and spring. The dragging will cause premature wear on the drivetrain and brake system. So it is a needed repair.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:42 PM
go-to
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: wnacrsh

I will be adding a lock collar and spring. The dragging will cause premature wear on the drivetrain and brake system. So it is a needed repair.
Good man...stick to your guns instead of just *leaving it be* and letting things get worn out and tore up.

There is an OFNA throttle/brake linkage upgrade that is well worth the money. I'm waiting on the parts now and will do a write-up here when I am done. Pictures and all. You can find bits and pieces of information scattered all over, but there isn't a good write-up done yet that I have found and can read in one spot.

The cam-style servo horn assembly works, but I wouldn't say it works well. Mine doesn't *center* worth a darn and is fairly inconsistent.

Search around for the OFNA throttle brake mod and get an idea for what is going on.

The lock collar is a great fix as well...you can add springs or fuel tubing in there for added control, but you're still using that stock servo horn which is mostly the source of the centering issues.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:33 PM
wnacrsh

Yes ..It is cheaper to fix the problem then to replace all the worn out parts and burnt up trannies after letting it go.. So I am fixing it now !!!! It would be like driving around town in your car with the e-brake partially engaged... Nobody can convince me that that is okay to do... So letting the dragging brake go on my Savage cannot be good for the drivetrain on it either.

I had searched all over trying to find a solution. The Ofna mod if I was to get one off the auction site is pretty pricey. So I instead found a site that had some plans using a combination of a Traxxas linkage set and an Ofna set. And you come out 15.00 ahead...heck that's almost a gallon of fuel...or whatever I can find at the hobby shop.... Yes information on this subject is scattered over a half dozen websites.... I'll check out your write up when your done...good luck...
Old 05-02-2007, 02:36 PM
wnacrsh

Oh yeah I am replacing the Servo Horn and servo. I am eliminating the brake issue all together.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:20 PM
go-to

Oh yeah I am replacing the Servo Horn and servo. I am eliminating the brake issue all together.
I have an extra Spektrum Z590 metal-gear servo if you are interested. For sale cheap. Makes a good throttle/brake servo.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:42 PM
go-to

My bad...didn't mean to post a for sale ad here. []
Old 05-02-2007, 07:12 PM
phoenix_stu

ORIGINAL: go-to

Good man...stick to your guns instead of just *leaving it be* and letting things get worn out and tore up.

There is an OFNA throttle/brake linkage upgrade that is well worth the money. I'm waiting on the parts now and will do a write-up here when I am done. Pictures and all. You can find bits and pieces of information scattered all over, but there isn't a good write-up done yet that I have found and can read in one spot.

Here is the information that I found:
http://www.savage-central.com/module...asc&highlight=

I didn't have access to any OFNA parts here in Japan so I just got a basic slider kit and some collars and did the best I could do to make it look and act the same as the technique as described in the link I provided above. AND all-n-all it only cost me 5 bucks.

Here is what min turned out like:

I will probably mod it a little more when I make another order to Tower but for now it really seems to work fine.

I hope this helps.

Phoenix_stu
Old 05-02-2007, 07:58 PM
proudamerican

Anyone got part numbers of the OFNA mod.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:10 PM
phoenix_stu

ORIGINAL: proudamerican

Anyone got part numbers of the OFNA mod.
threaded rods:

http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk...xd.asp?id=1554

spring steel links:

http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk...xd.asp?id=1540

sliders:

http://www.lstshop.co.uk/catalog/pro...oducts_id=1016

can't find a link for the 2mm ball joints but they are made by Fastrax

Clevexes

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...is&FVPROFIL=++

OFNA throttle linkage set

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=&G=&U=Y&P=SM

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=&G=&U=Y&P=SM

Hope this helps
Old 05-02-2007, 08:53 PM
go-to

ORIGINAL: phoenix_stu

I didn't have access to any OFNA parts here in Japan so I just got a basic slider kit and some collars and did the best I could do to make it look and act the same as the technique as described in the link I provided above. AND all-n-all it only cost me 5 bucks.

I will probably mod it a little more when I make another order to Tower but for now it really seems to work fine.

I hope this helps.

Phoenix_stu
That's what I am looking into doing, but yours still retains the stock servo horn and cam-style setup...that's what I am most interested in replacing.

Nice setup BTW...you got that from Savage Central?
Old 05-02-2007, 09:02 PM
phoenix_stu

ORIGINAL: go-to

ORIGINAL: phoenix_stu

I hope this helps.

Phoenix_stu
That's what I am looking into doing, but yours still retains the stock servo horn and cam-style setup...that's what I am most interested in replacing.

Nice setup BTW...you got that from Savage Central?
No, actually, I picked it up at my LHS. I am living in Japan so some parts are hard to find without ordering them. Shipping is expensive to here.
I actually plan to change everything over the next time I have a chance to order from the states. But for now that is the set up that I made.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:41 PM
wnacrsh

Phoenix,

That looks very good. It is similar to what I am putting together. Yes alot of the info I gathered was from Savage central also.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:30 PM
phoenix_stu

Phoenix,

That looks very good. It is similar to what I am putting together. Yes alot of the info I gathered was from Savage central also.

I have to say that the information that I got off of Savage central on this topic has proven very useful. Even though it is not EXACTLY like they described, compared to stock, it has DEFINATELY improved the responsiveness of everything. I am happy that I put it together. I will probable soon add some ball and ball cups on the end of that soon, just for a little more security and to take up the additional slack where the actual bends are.

I will say that by bending the brake arm a little really improved my brakes. Almost too much responce. But it is a very easy adjust the way I have it set.

Thanks for the comment.