Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Axial .32 vs OS .30

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 03:44 PM
MisterBiggz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axial .32 vs OS .30

Hello. This is my first post here. My lil bro's giving me his axial .32, and OS just sent me a brand new OS .30 for warranty. Which one should I keep? I"ve never seen an OS .30 run at its full potential because mine was defective. I've seen my lil bro's axial in his axial. Which one do you guys think I should keep? One reason I want to keep my OS is the excellent customer support I've seen from them in the past week. I know I would get more for the OS if I sell it, but I really want the better motor for my Savage. Thanks and any input would be extremely appreciated.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:53 PM
Vigilante212

Default RE: Axial .32 vs OS .30

Here is what I say if the os is an os VG sell it I heard the abl sleeves only last a gallon or two. If its an os tz or vg-r keep it its standard abc contruction.

Old 06-14-2007, 03:58 PM
MisterBiggz

Yeah, it is indeed a vg series motor. That's what might of happened with the first one. It would run extremely rich, but once i turn that needle slightly, the temps would shoot up into the three hundreds. Thanks for your input Vigilante. I should have done more research before I jumped the gun and bought that motor.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:19 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Never had one, and never will, based on all the negative things I've heard about it. Doesn't last long, overpriced, underpowered(compared to a bunch of 28's out there, etc..), etc.... I'd ditch it and get the money out of it while you can..
Old 06-14-2007, 04:36 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep^^^^^^^^^^^^ 100%[8D]
Old 06-14-2007, 09:26 PM
MisterBiggz

Thanks for your input guys, I've already got it posted on ebay. Axial .32 it is then.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:17 AM
mordraid

I think i maybe a lucky guy. My OS 30Vg is a force to be feared. Runs great over 1 gallon now and still have a great compression. Powerwise the OS will outrun the axial anyday. I have friends over here with LRP, axial .28 and .32 and they all admit that my OS deliver more power.

The nickel sleeve that you guys talkedd about isn't really what's in the OS. Instead on one thick coat of nickel they use two thinner coats of nickasil. Wich is a blend of nickel and silicium. Just like the high end motocross parts are made of.

Anyhow, it's easy to jump on conclusion on what you've heard and read about.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:30 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have to admit, on the German forums here guys are pretty big on the OS 30 - even in truggies.. Just in the US forums - especially among racers it seems - do you hear so much negative stuff... Not always so easy to go only on what you hear in forums - requires a lot of reading between the lines, but if that's all you've got to go on...
Old 06-15-2007, 11:47 AM
itsnotskidding

i had the o.s30vg max and loved it at 1st, then after a gallon 1/2 it seemed to lose its punch, ( not dead but not as good).. and then it just got weaker!!... was very gutted,

and i use my savage everyday so it was not due to sitting around for a long time with out starting!..lol
Old 06-15-2007, 09:57 PM
MisterBiggz

I originally had the OS in my hellfire. Once it started to fail, I purchased the LRP Spec3 .28 and found a huge power difference. The LRP is still in my hellfire and I planned to put the OS in my "not built yet" savage x ss. I don't really know which route to take, but I'm sure selling the OS would be best for me financially since my lil bro's givin' me that axial .32. The shop mechanic at my lhs said he loved the OS .30, but he modded the crap out of it. Thanks again guys and love the forum.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:00 PM
savage - LTD

UPDATE-

today I decided to run my savage and see if I cant get the moter up to temps-

It was hot outside like 90 degrees-

I tweaked the HSN and LSN - its running much better- temps of 205 full tank- 220 almost empty tank-

its still a bit rich in the low end it think because its still a dog off the line-

I was able to do a few wheelies only after half tank of fuel got burned-

at this point the engine has like 3/4 of a gallon threw it- todays temps of like 205 to 220 are the higest I have ever gotten-

before today the higest temps I ever got was like 140 - 180

partly because the engine was so rich From the factory and I was a fraid to lean it out so very much

so everything is going well- I just hope that running all those tanks at low temps like 140- 180 did not destroy my engine- it still starts fine and seems to have compression-

so why is everyone on this fourm always trashing the OS 30??

people say it will only last 2 gallons or it is just crap- I bash not race and I dont want the hassle of tunning a crazy racing engine like a STS-

I would like to hear from owners of the OS 30 who are happy-

Happy fathers day everyone-