Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Visible signs of worn out clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 07:42 AM
JQuest64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Visible signs of worn out clutch?

Hey all, I have my sons Savage apart for what we believe may be worn out clutch shoes. Yesterday while driving the rig started revving but barely moving. We inspected the driveline for binding and everything appears smooth. No brake rub, no dogbones binding. The truck rolls smoothly.

So I pulled the mill and remove the clutch bell to inpsect the shoes.
They look pretty good (truck only has about a half gallon through it).
I did however notice when sliding the bell over the shoes there appears to be about a 1/16th of an inch of space between the shoes and bell. Are these worn out, or is that normal?

The other thing I did notice was that the CB bearings appear to have over heated. The outer casings have what appears to be brown heat marks. Could these have gone south and when they heat up they are swelling and binding? They appear to spin freely right now but could that change under heated conditions?

Any help is appreciated, and if it is the shoes, what are the best ones to replace them with in your opinion? Thanks
Old 07-08-2007, 08:41 AM
HPISAVAGEMAN

Default RE: Visible signs of worn out clutch?

The clutch sounds fine to me but I had the same problem when I was starting off - The main reason for it revving and not moving is that the nut on the outside of the spur gear is not tight enough. I suggest you tighten the nut as far as you can and leave it there. Maybe invest in some nova aluminium shoes before dropping the mill back in because the plastic are notorious for melting.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:10 AM
JQuest64

Thanks for the pointers. The spur was just put in a week ago but I will be sure and check the pad and how tight it is.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:56 PM
evil_jeanyus

removing and replacing spurs can wear out the nylock on the nut that holds it. if the problem comes back after tightening, replace that nut. also, i prefer to tighten the spur all the way and back it off 1/4 turn, but whichever way you like