Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

"Leading" Clutch Shoes Direction

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 11:55 PM
carldav

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Leading" Clutch Shoes Direction

Good Day

I just tried to ran the savage with the clutch shoes installed the opposite direction and I'm starting to appreciate it. Even if I'm using a 1.1mm clutch springs,the shoes really engages aggressively even if you blip the trigger! It also wheelies the same as the stock direction.

Can someone tell me the pros and cons of this kind set-up? I usally bash on paved surface/grass and occasionally race in our local off-road track. Will this have an ill-effect on my clutch shoes and engine?

Thanks!
Carl
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26822.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	750587   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84274.jpg
Views:	672
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	750588  
Old 08-27-2007, 12:04 AM
SAVAGEJIM

Default RE: "Leading" Clutch Shoes Direction

No, no ill effects should occur. Just run them normally and you will not have any problems, bashing or racing. Let me check the positioning of your shoes though.

Edit: Never mind, your shoes are positioned correctly. [8D]
Old 08-27-2007, 08:01 AM
go-to
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: carldav

Good Day

I just tried to ran the savage with the clutch shoes installed the opposite direction and I'm starting to appreciate it. Even if I'm using a 1.1mm clutch springs,the shoes really engages aggressively even if you blip the trigger! It also wheelies the same as the stock direction.

Can someone tell me the pros and cons of this kind set-up? I usally bash on paved surface/grass and occasionally race in our local off-road track. Will this have an ill-effect on my clutch shoes and engine?

Thanks!
Carl

And this is what I don't like about aluminum clutch shoes and 1.0mm springs. It engages too harshly for me...and all it does is want to flip over backwards. I'd prefer a stock setup honestly for that reason alone.

Having the shoes backwards won't have any ill effects as SavageJim said.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:47 AM
BigGrump

Except that you might see lower clutch bell temps because of less slipping. I run my shoes backwards on the savage all the time and have always had good results.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:52 AM
go-to

I was just thinking...why even bother putting the clutch shoes in *backwards*? What's the reasoning behind that? Just asking...
Old 08-27-2007, 12:01 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Its a matter of physics and geometry. By pitting in the shoes backwards, due to the location of the center of mass of the shoe being cnanged in relation to the hinge pin of the flywheel, this will cause the shoes to open sooner.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:57 PM
lauderboy

what a good idea!!!!!!!!!!!!! i will try this on the weekend
Old 08-27-2007, 02:20 PM
go-to

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

Its a matter of physics and geometry. By pitting in the shoes backwards, due to the location of the center of mass of the shoe being changed in relation to the hinge pin of the flywheel, this will cause the shoes to open sooner.
I just talked to a Physicist here at work because what you said didn't sound right from what I remember of my Physics classes...so we had a talk about it.

He said from a pure Physics standpoint, the mass of the clutch shoes doesn't change nor does the pivot point so center of mass and such will also not change (the shoes don't know the direction has changed). Also the surface area of the shoe contacting the bell is also the same. Now my only thought is something along the lines of aerodynamics of the shoe, but there's no way for me to find out. Well I *could* but that would mean bringing my truck to work and building a rig to measure it all. That ain't gonna happen!

All that aside...you guys actually notice that the shoes engage sooner when oriented backwards? That'd be interesting to know for sure.

I'm definately going to add the set screws to my aluminum clutch shoes to lower the engagement RPM. As it is now they come on way too high and hard. With an Axial .28 it just makes for a hard to drive truck that only wants to wheelie and flip over.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:02 PM
carldav

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

No, no ill effects should occur. Just run them normally and you will not have any problems, bashing or racing. Let me check the positioning of your shoes though.

Edit: Never mind, your shoes are positioned correctly. [8D]

Thanks Savagejim I love running the Savage with this kind of set-up.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:44 AM
BigGrump

It is a matter of friction and leverage. As the clutch shoes start to engage the clutch bell, friction forces them back and the leverage helps push them into the bell. Motorcycle brakes used to be of the drum and shoe type. Normally they would have l large shoe in leading edge position to do most of the stoppilng going forward and a smaller trailing edge shoe to do most of the stopping when rolling backward. High performance motorcycles of the time would have two leading edge shoes in one brake drum for better stopping power when going forward. Staying stopped on a hill required more brake pressure to keep it from rolling backward because both brakes were leading edge.

Anyway, you get a more agressive engagment with leading edge clutch shoes and a little softer engagment with them in normally. With the Big Block high torque engines of the 28's and 30's, a more agressive engagment results in less slipping time and less heat.

Dennis