Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Pull cord came out!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 04:28 AM
simonkitch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pull cord came out!

Hi
Whats the procedure for replacing the pull cord on the savage 21? Mine just pulled out!

Simon
Old 09-13-2007, 04:55 AM
500 lb. koolaid man

Default RE: Pull cord came out!

1st of all, are there screws on the back to where it can be taken apart? Remove it from the engine first. Then take off the screws to open it up if they exist. If they don't, you need a new pull start and be sure to take your one way bearing out of this one, re grease it, and put it in the new pull start. If it does have screws, take the backplate off. If you have enough line still, as in most of it wound up in the starter rather than in your hand with the pull part, you can tr-tie the pull part(the part you pull on, the T shaped thing). You need your spring to still do something though, so (I forgot how to do this, it's been a while since I've had pull start) make sure the spring pulls the pull part back in all the way.

Good luck.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:56 AM
DaveG55

The best procedure is to go to the LHS and buy a new ps. They are not expensive. Then you can repair the sprung one at your leisure and have a spare handy for when the new one breaks.
Lots of people won't use anything but a ps, personally, I hate them.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:05 PM
carldav

Good Day

You may want to check this link. This has worked for me

http://www.rc411.com/pages/howto.php?howto=29&page=2

thanks
Old 09-13-2007, 07:42 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

I have fixed a few of mine before. Is a pain but it can be done.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:03 PM
carldav

ORIGINAL: 46u

I have fixed a few of mine before. Is a pain but it can be done.

I agree, especially the spring coil that pops off! It is very challenging to re-coil the spring but worth the effort instead of buying a new replacement. The guide from XRC Magazine was helpful I even have the copy issue of that RC Tip.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:38 AM
Knightfall

I broke mine too, but my friend and I fixed it in about 20 minutes. He had a roll of string handy. You can also use string from a yo-yo or something of the like.

Off the .21 engine, there's 3 screws. Remove those. Flip the pull start unit over and look for a hole with a small screw in it. Remove that, and then use a knife to remove the inner panel away, exposing the piece that the string is wrapped around. Careful of the spring that sits behind it. Mine didn't fly out, but you never know.

Get an idea from the broken string how long the new string should be, then restring the unit and be sure you're winding it in the right direction.

For the handle, there's a bar that the string is tied around. I stuck a small bolt up the shaft of it, and used a hammer to tap it out of there.

Once you're that far along, the rest should be straight forward. I'm not the best at typing out tutorials, but I hope this helps.