Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

Need help ASAP, about to buy Savage X in about 20 minutes!!

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Need help ASAP, about to buy Savage X in about 20 minutes!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 01:51 AM
rezac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help ASAP, about to buy Savage X in about 20 minutes!!

I am about to order the new Savage X and I was wondering what I needed to buy with it to make it ready to rock right when I get it? I am going to get it from towerhobbies and get the combo with $20 gift card. It comes with all the batteries needed, a 6 cell 7.2v 1500mAh NiCd and the 6-7 cell charger and the glo started std w/o meter. Obviously I need fuel, is there anything else?
Old 12-10-2007, 02:21 AM
rezac

Default RE: Need help ASAP, about to buy Savage X in about 20 minutes!!

I just bought it, what is a good first upgrade?
Old 12-10-2007, 02:39 AM
savaged_dude

A choice of.............. Hump pack, Ofna linkage mod, Just have a stock of GP's and things of the obviusly
spare parts.

The linkage mod is a great first upgrade for me. Before you go doing performance upgrade I would learn the truck inside and out! Learn the signs for trucks tuning needs. Remember to maintenance is a big factor in this hobby.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:13 AM
rezac

Can you send me a link for the Ofna linkage upgrade? Which Hump backs are the best ones to buy? I am brand new to teh rc world.. Oh yea, what are "GP's" ?
Old 12-10-2007, 03:48 AM
Docroonie

Glow Plugs........

I recommend the O.S. A5
Old 12-10-2007, 09:44 AM
go-to
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: rezac

Can you send me a link for the Ofna linkage upgrade? Which Hump backs are the best ones to buy? I am brand new to teh rc world.. Oh yea, what are "GP's" ?
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_59...tm.htm#5965354

You'll need a few things to get running, but you don't really need upgrades at this point. This truck will be plenty enough for you to handle I promise.

6cell stick pack battery for the RotoStart, glow ignitor, glow plugs, temperature meter for breaking in and tuning, fuel, hump pack as mentioned (I have a Venom 1200mAh pack but there are many others to choice from).

SPL-3300-C6 from http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/?si...&pgid=specials It's the 2nd to last pack listed. That is one of the best battery packs I've ever owned. That thing will last for *days* in the Rotostart.

O'Donnel TGX1 temperature meter. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXLXW8&P=ML

Old 12-10-2007, 06:56 PM
megamaxx

imho,there is no need to do the ofna linkage mod right of the bat,the stock linkage works fine.just get that bad boy broke in and start kicking up some dirt for god sakes!!!!
Old 12-10-2007, 08:17 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: megamaxx

imho,there is no need to do the ofna linkage mod right of the bat,the stock linkage works fine.just get that bad boy broke in and start kicking up some dirt for god sakes!!!!
change the stock clutch shoes to aluminum w/1.0 springs. you'll be happy you did.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:27 AM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

What's the big difference between the stock and the alu clutch?
Old 12-11-2007, 09:35 AM
go-to

ORIGINAL: Rudeboy

What's the big difference between the stock and the alu clutch?
My Axial .28 trashed the stock carbon clutch shoes. Aluminum will bite better and last much longer.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:20 PM
whipnet

If this is a X 4.6 RTR, there is really nothing you need to upgrade, these come with many upgrades over the earlier savages, so don't worry about the clutch or diffs at this point, they are already upgraded. My philosophy on that is, wait until it breaks..

You might have noticed that the brakes SUCK! All you need to do at this point is replace the spring with a piece of fuel tubing and the brakes will be a lot better. The hump pack will help your brakes and then of course the OFNA linkage mod (it not only helps, it looks great too), but at this point just fuel tubing will do wonders.

Also, use some blue loctite (242) on the TVP (twin vertical plates) screws in the far front and back, (right behind the shocks) they tend to loosen and come out.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:32 PM
Elvisguy
Banned

ya the linkage brake is a must and also get a skid plate u dont want to damage ur brakes if u hit something
Old 12-11-2007, 03:35 PM
go-to

ORIGINAL: whipnet

If this is a X 4.6 RTR, there is really nothing you need to upgrade, these come with many upgrades over the earlier savages, so don't worry about the clutch or diffs at this point, they are already upgraded. My philosophy on that is, wait until it breaks..

You might have noticed that the brakes SUCK!
That's not a good philosophy to have...

The clutch isn't upgraded on the X 4.6 but the diff's and brakes are.

My stock throttle/brake linkage has always been less than adequate, and the dual stainless brakes are still going strong with no issues.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:44 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

so don't worry about the clutch or diffs at this point,
Correct@diffs, WRONG@clutch. it's the same POS they've been using since the Sav 21, only three of the carbon shoes instead of the two on the Sav21/early 25.
Aluminum clutch shoes are a MUST for spur gear longevity. the stock carbon shoes slip and heat up the clutchbell, and strip it out. that's why the Sav 25/3.5 got the three-shoe clutch in the FIRST place, the problem is just exacerbated by higher horsepower engines, like the F4.6, K4.6, and anything aftermarket.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:45 AM
Rudeboy

I see...

But I don't understand what everybody's problem is with the brake/throttle linkage... I mean, it works like a charm, provided you don't use the return spring on the carb and you adjust everything properly. The spring on the brake linkage makes for a nice smooth engagement IMO, instead of all or nothing.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:22 AM
go-to

I see...

But I don't understand what everybody's problem is with the brake/throttle linkage... I mean, it works like a charm, provided you don't use the return spring on the carb and you adjust everything properly. The spring on the brake linkage makes for a nice smooth engagement IMO, instead of all or nothing.
Then you are a very fortunate person indeed. I've had (3) Savages in a row (all different models) that had serious linkage problems. They all boiled down to the servo horn design. Mine rarely returned to a set center, and my last truck couldn't open the carb. fully because that servo horn *spring* thing (the c-shaped metal ring between the servo horns) would flex open and not hold. The throttle return spring was too strong and exposed a weakness in the servo horn. Removing the throttle return spring is not a wise thing to doo.

The linkage mod eliminates all that and allows for FAR more adjustability.

It's a mod you'll want to look into if/when you have problems.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:46 AM
whipnet

ORIGINAL: go-to

You might have noticed that the brakes SUCK!
That's not a good philosophy to have...

The clutch isn't upgraded on the X 4.6 but the diff's and brakes are.

My stock throttle/brake linkage has always been less than adequate, and the dual stainless brakes are still going strong with no issues.
OK, Maybe I was wrong on the clutches (I saw upgraded drive train and assumed it included clutches... their words "heavy duty triple shoe clutch - The adjustable slipper clutch features a slipper pad made from a more durable material, so there's less maintenance and more driving!" ) but why is my philosophy wrong?

Why replace something that works fine? I have beat my clutches on rough terrain and GRASS for 5 gallons.. where's the problem? Why replace until they are bad?

Old 12-12-2007, 11:34 AM
Rudeboy

ORIGINAL: go-to

The throttle return spring was too strong and exposed a weakness in the servo horn. Removing the throttle return spring is not a wise thing to doo.

You're talking about a runaway truck, I suppose? Well I can see what you're getting at. But in all fairness, in my opinion, if you maintain your truck to decent level a throttle linkage failing/coming loose is something that has a very, very slim chance of happening.
And in any case, you don't need a big ass spring like the one that comes with the kit just for closing a throttle. I could do that with a rubber band if I really needed to.

But you're right, the return spring messes up the entire thing. It's kinda strange they put something like that on the market. They must know it doesn't work at all. It's almost like they designed the linkage, and then came to the conclusion they probably needed a safety function on there, and then just threw in that spring without looking back.

By the way, the radios they sell with the RTR trucks, do they have end point and center adjustments? I can see people having a hard time with that linkage if that's not the case.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:05 PM
go-to

but why is my philosophy wrong?

Why replace something that works fine? I have beat my clutches on rough terrain and GRASS for 5 gallons.. where's the problem? Why replace until they are bad?
I said it was not a good philosophy...not wrong. Something that is *known* to cause problems should be addressed right away. Now that doesn't happen on 100% of the trucks so take it as you wish.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:11 PM
go-to

You're talking about a runaway truck, I suppose? Well I can see what you're getting at. But in all fairness, in my opinion, if you maintain your truck to decent level a throttle linkage failing/coming loose is something that has a very, very slim chance of happening.
And in any case, you don't need a big ass spring like the one that comes with the kit just for closing a throttle. I could do that with a rubber band if I really needed to.

But you're right, the return spring messes up the entire thing. It's kinda strange they put something like that on the market. They must know it doesn't work at all. It's almost like they designed the linkage, and then came to the conclusion they probably needed a safety function on there, and then just threw in that spring without looking back.

By the way, the radios they sell with the RTR trucks, do they have end point and center adjustments? I can see people having a hard time with that linkage if that's not the case.
One of the things I recently found was a silicone band highly resistant to the *elements* of nitro R/C as a replacement for the throttle return spring. I'm gonna try it and see. The problem is it can be very dangerous to go without, but also you need a return that's strong enough to overcome your linkage and servo setup. If something pops loose, then you only need a very mild return to get the carb. closed.

Planning for the worst is my philosophy. While that may cost more initially...it will ALWAYS cost less in the long-run. I really don't like the way the return spring attaches...so I'm trying that band idea.

My (3) stock radio's had minimal adjustments. No end-point...just trim and servo reverse. Which is why I upgraded radio's and linkage.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:26 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

OK, Maybe I was wrong on the clutches (I saw upgraded drive train and assumed it included clutches... their words "heavy duty triple shoe clutch - The adjustable slipper clutch features a slipper pad made from a more durable material, so there's less maintenance and more driving!" ) but why is my philosophy wrong?

How many spur gears have you eaten up? ignore the question if you have an X SS. their idea of "heavy duty clutch" is WAY different than mine...

if you've eaten even ONE spur with it properly meshed, your clutch shoes are crap, and that's why they got torn up. upgrade to aluminum shoes and you'll soil yourself at how much power you've lost through that slipping clutch.

I've got about 18 gallons through both my X 4.1s (neither is stock)...and never had a problem with my aluminum clutch shoes[&:]
Old 12-16-2007, 04:20 PM
rezac

Well, my order didn't go through, I was short by $20 in my account lol.. But good things happened, I traded my Movado watch adn $150 for a modified T-Maxx and then yesterday I traded one of my computers for a used Savage X SS.. I broke the gas tank today.. I am not sure if I should do the same upgrades to that as what people are saying I should do if I would have gotten the X RTR.. I bought an aluminum tank guard today adn I am ordering a new gas tank today.. Will the Axial .32 be a stronger and better motor then the 4.6 or not?
Old 12-16-2007, 04:21 PM
rezac

I meant to say would the .32 be stronger/better/longer lasting then the 4.6/.28 or not?