Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

no rear wheel drive

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 11:57 AM
madmax93

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no rear wheel drive

I have a savage 4.1 and I loss rear wheel drive, it still has front wheel drive. I took out the diff and turned it and it sounded and worked ok. I also checked the pin that hold the shaft on, which is fine. I'm thinking it might be the transmission. Is it possible
that the truck could lose only rear wheel drive if somthing is wrong with the tranny.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:12 PM
burnchassis3

Default RE: no rear wheel drive

1st off ,yes its possible. To check this lift your truck up ,and spin the spur gear so that the wheels turn...hold the back wheels and see if you can still turn the spur gear.
As you turn the spur ..look at the the drive line starting at the trans..see if the cup is spinning,then dogbone,then diff cup,diff,wheels etc.
or hold your spur ,and try to roll the truck backwards on the rear wheels see if you can tell where the problem is.
CS
Old 01-21-2008, 04:22 AM
savaged_dude

Are you sure that grub screw is there? In the the rear hub. It may still have the head there but the tail that locks it was sheared off.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:37 AM
megamaxx

could have rounded a wheel hex/rim
Old 01-21-2008, 08:01 AM
mazdab2600

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the tranny in a savage has a solid output shaft.if any gear inside was bad you'd have no drive to front or rear.
most common problems for no drive to front or rear.
1 grub screw missing/broken
2 stripped/chipped teeth on diff crown or pinion.
3 worn support bearings on pinion or diff support
4 improper shimming of the diff
5 missing/broken wheel hex pins
6 stripped rim hex
Old 01-21-2008, 02:42 PM
-SomeGuy-

There are 2 grub screws that you need to look for that would cause this problem. One on the tranny and the other on the diff.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:32 PM
rican25

what about the drive shaft screw? just a shaft on one end and the other end has the threads topped off with an allen head set screw. could be what you guys are talking about, not sure.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:59 PM
madmax93

I removed both grub screws and they were in tact. When i start the truck up the large bevel gear on the diff rotates and the drive shaft does too with the wheels off the ground, but when I put the rear wheels on the ground the large gear does not turn but it looks like the drive shaft is turning. Could it be that the diff needs to be shimed as mazdab has said, and how do you shim the diff ? I'm stumped on this one. I think I might get a new diff off of e-bay and try that.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:22 PM
mazdab2600

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i think your refering to the spur gear now. the large one on the tranny?

if it spins freely then your too lose on the nut/spring. tight till the spring compress's then back off 1/4 turn.

if its the diff gear(crown 43t & pinion 13t) start checking for a bad bearing allowing the diff to shift away from the pinion.

may want to check the pinion bearings as well.had one go bad as well and took abit to figure it out.
plus a few extra broken parts.