Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

after run oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 04:18 PM
blevinsbulldog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default after run oil

do i crank the engine w/ or w/out the glow plug in or both after i put the after run oil in ?
Old 02-01-2008, 04:23 PM
KILL--ROY

Default RE: after run oil

ORIGINAL: blevinsbulldog

do i crank the engine w/ or w/out the glow plug in or both after i put the after run oil in ?
I turn my over without the plug in, so there is no compression, but I know guys who do it the other way.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:37 PM
hmott3

I turn mine over without the plug and by hand.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:19 PM
blevinsbulldog

thanks guys ! [sm=biggrin.gif]
Old 02-09-2008, 04:41 PM
jere

another way is to get fuel that you don't use after run oil in. i use side winder 20% fuel and it says right on the jug not to use any oils.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:52 PM
go-to
My Feedback: (2)

If you're doing this after running it...obviously take the glow plug out so you can position the piston at BDC after lubing and spinning it over.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:38 PM
blevinsbulldog

ORIGINAL: go-to

If you're doing this after running it...obviously take the glow plug out so you can position the piston at BDC after lubing and spinning it over.
piston at BDC ?? what does this mean ?
Old 02-10-2008, 03:49 PM
Soothsayerman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoLFuoL09ko

Even though its for a different car, this is what you want to do for after run procedure.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:26 PM
kelly_and_brian

Hmmm ... in that video they use WD-40. I usually use Hobbico after run oil. Is there any advantage either way?
Old 02-10-2008, 05:04 PM
Soothsayerman

ORIGINAL: kelly_and_brian

Hmmm ... in that video they use WD-40. I usually use Hobbico after run oil. Is there any advantage either way?
Nope. They both do the same thing. They lube the engine and displace the methanol thats in the nitro fuel getting it out of the engine. Methanol is hygroscopic and bonds with water molecules. So if you leave it in your engine, it attracts moisture like a magnet.

Another lube that is extremely good for use as an after run oil and for treating your air filters is Marvel Mystery Oil that you can get at any autoparts store. Basically it is a high quality machine oil that is better and cheaper than the hobbico stuff.[8D]
Old 02-10-2008, 06:04 PM
blevinsbulldog

piston at BDC ?? what does this mean ?
Old 02-10-2008, 06:13 PM
zud00

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BDC=Bottom Dead Center. In other words-all the way down.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:40 PM
go-to

ORIGINAL: Soothsayerman
Nope. They both do the same thing. They lube the engine and displace the methanol thats in the nitro fuel getting it out of the engine. Methanol is hygroscopic and bonds with water molecules. So if you leave it in your engine, it attracts moisture like a magnet.

Another lube that is extremely good for use as an after run oil and for treating your air filters is Marvel Mystery Oil that you can get at any autoparts store. Basically it is a high quality machine oil that is better and cheaper than the hobbico stuff.[8D]
Incorrect...WD-40 and after run oil do *not* work the same. WD stands for water displacement and after run oil absorbs. It IS better to use afterun oil, although WD-40 will work OK in a pinch.

I make my own. Cost just pennies compared to what is sold to the market. Phew...
Old 02-10-2008, 11:33 PM
Soothsayerman

Incorrect...WD-40 and after run oil do *not* work the same. WD stands for water displacement and after run oil absorbs. It IS better to use afterun oil, although WD-40 will work OK in a pinch.

I make my own. Cost just pennies compared to what is sold to the market. Phew...
No they don't work the same but the end result is close to the same thing. Marvel is probably the best of all. Traxxas recommends WD-40 per their video and website. It does have mineral oil in it so it does lube.

As with almost anything in this hobby, there are multiple options available thankfully.

What do you make yer stuff out of?
Old 02-10-2008, 11:36 PM
go-to

Equal parts Marvel and Dextron ATF tranny fluid.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:00 AM
calvino

No they don't work the same but the end result is close to the same thing. Marvel is probably the best of all. Traxxas recommends WD-40 per their video and website. It does have mineral oil in it so it does lube.

As with almost anything in this hobby, there are multiple options available thankfully.

in a pinch, use any oil around, but spend a few $$$ to get some TRUE ARO!!!!! hey, mucho cheaper than rustin out a nice engine..... ya, just an opinion[8D]
Old 02-11-2008, 02:53 AM
blevinsbulldog

will Marvel Mystery Oil be as good as aro ? is it ok to wash the filter out in soapy water instead of using nitro ? ive always done my lawnmower filters the same way the video says to do the traxuss filter .