Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

starting pin / pressure spring install

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 09:23 PM
mazdab2600

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: starting pin / pressure spring install

ORIGINAL: newpat

that's what i thought, otherwise it's nearly impossible to get it straight down the hole... mhm, maybe i've got some pieces of the old spring left in the hole, or otherwise i dont know why it wont go down just like yours...
at least now i know what it should look like before i put the backplate back on!

thanks a lot for the pic!!

it should fit lose and be able to push down inside the hole.the spring just pushes the pin back out to the starter plate to engage the groove/cutout in the plate.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:28 PM
newpat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your pic put me on the right track... the previous spring is stuck at the bottom of the pin hole... i've seen it but havent got it out yet... now i'm sure of what my problem was!!!

good job mazdab, thanks a lot !!!
Old 04-29-2008, 09:31 PM
mazdab2600

ORIGINAL: newpat

your pic put me on the right track... the previous spring is stuck at the bottom of the pin hole... i've seen it but havent got it out yet... now i'm sure of what my problem was!!!

good job mazdab, thanks a lot !!!
paperclip or a sewing needle bent at the tip might remove the old spring.
good luck.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:50 PM
newpat

paperclip worked! got it out, new one back in, worked like a charm! (all that done on the kitchen table )
now i have to figure out the proper way to install the OWB but i'm sure it's easy!

thanks a lot to all of you guys, that saved me another headache tonight!!!
Old 04-29-2008, 11:49 PM
newpat

ok, i'm pissed off now [:@]
the starting pin now fits fine where it should. but when i put the first backplate back on (the one the starting shaft goes through) and tightened it down, then the starting shaft is real hard to move. if i install the rotostart backplate it gets even worse... when turning the engine with the flywheel, i can also feel some resistance that i never felt before i removed all that... (i'm not talking about the point where the piston reaches the Top Dead Center / Point)
when i take it apart again, the pin is still sitting nicely, so that's not the issue (anymore)... should i install a O-ring (#6899) behind the plate of the starting shaft? there is a bevel cut in the backplate but the o-ring doesnt really sit there nice...
what else could be wrong? i'm not even talking about the OWB yet! when i took it apart the screws holding the backplate were stupidly tight + red-lock'ed so i assume it should be real tight, right?
sorry for keeping asking questions but i just cant figure it out!
thanks guys!
Old 04-30-2008, 01:27 AM
carldav

ORIGINAL: mazdab2600

here's pic of the f4.1(.25) same basic's as the f4.6(.28).
the pin just sitting on the spring should look the same as the pic.
Hi Mazdab2600,

just curious, the conrod appears to be quite worn out already. Are you still running that engine?

Hi Pat,

I think mazdab2600 can help you with your concern.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:15 AM
mazdab2600

no this was my engine from the first x.
its dead.its 2 engine in one.
cracked block/worn sleeve.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:27 PM
newpat

i got it!
most of you guys probably dont care, but i'm just thinking that if someone else has the same problem one day they might like to see the answer here!
anyway, after cleaning all the parts (backplate, OWB, starting shaft...) the starting shaft still wouldnt move... well the solution was right here... i wanted to be cheap and test out my old OWB that i thought wasnt worn out but just oily / dirty before putting on the new one... it seems that my OWB was so dead that it was preventing the starting shaft to move at all! i put the new one in, and everything spins as it should!
i havent tried to start the engine yet as the backplate is cracked now, but at least the starting shaft spins... so i dont see no reason why the engine wouldnt start now...

i just need a new backplate [] another $25 for the metal one... expensive toy this is...

thanks again for your help and patience guys!! [&:]
Old 04-30-2008, 10:31 PM
cheiro

Newpat,

In future you don't need to buy the starting springs. Just use the spring in the ciggarette lighter cut it in half and you have two.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:00 PM
newpat

mhm, good to know Cheiro! especially because i have a company truck so it wont cost me !!! (if my boss is looking at that, i'm just kidding) [&:]
hopefully i wont have to open that too often now, and now i also have an idea of what to expect so i wont hopefully make the same mistakes...

thanks[&:]