Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

3 speed problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 07:08 PM
petes66

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 speed problems

Hey guys this 3 speed is really starting to piss me off. Its only hitting 2 gears. When I adjust the setting it seems to work fine clock wise it shifts later and counter clock wise it shifts sooner. Am I not hitting 1 st gear, and it don't seem to be that fast and I have put the hight speed gear in it also. Any help would be great, I am getting tired of ripping the tranny out.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:16 PM
SportsFans

Default RE: 3 speed problems

Do you have the new tranny case? You only have to take the top off with the new tranny case. I would set everything back to factory. What is your gear setup? Also what tires and rims are you running?
Old 05-19-2008, 07:16 PM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is "hitting" twice, then everything is fine. It only shifts twice....from 1st to 2nd and then 2nd to 3rd. You would have to have a 4spd trans to shift 3 times, which is what I think you expect your 3spd to do.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:17 PM
SportsFans

Ahh!
Old 05-19-2008, 07:27 PM
petes66

ORIGINAL: gravediggerracing

If it is "hitting" twice, then everything is fine. It only shifts twice....from 1st to 2nd and then 2nd to 3rd. You would have to have a 4spd trans to shift 3 times, which is what I think you expect your 3spd to do.
its only shifting once.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:31 PM
petes66

ORIGINAL: SportsFans

Do you have the new tranny case? You only have to take the top off with the new tranny case. I would set everything back to factory. What is your gear setup? Also what tires and rims are you running?

its the old style case, i am running a 4.1 with 15t 49t gearing and & 7in tires. i now forgot the factory setting, anyone have them?
Old 05-19-2008, 07:33 PM
black mamba

Ok then. Make sure your slipper isn't too loose and then make sure your tune isn't too rich-both conditions will prevent shifting. If that is all good, then your shift points are out of whack.....and unfortunately, experimentation is the only way to get them right. That is the #1 reason I don't suggest messing with the trans shift points. My 3spd is still at the factory settings because I prefer not to chase trans shift points all day long. Have fun.[8D]
Old 05-19-2008, 07:56 PM
SportsFans

ORIGINAL: petes66

its the old style case, i am running a 4.1 with 15t 49t gearing and & 7in tires. i now forgot the factory setting, anyone have them?
I believe mmduc has the factorysetting right in this post: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_71...tm.htm#7186559 Oh hehe you started that thread[sm=49_49.gif]
Old 05-19-2008, 08:21 PM
petes66

ORIGINAL: petes66

I believe mmduc has the factorysetting right in this post: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_71...tm.htm#7186559 Oh hehe you started that thread[sm=49_49.gif]
theres the thread i was looking for, thanks.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:45 PM
Parputt537

Pete, I know this is going to sound silly, but make sure you have the 3rd gear clutch holder on the right way. I just built my three speed this weekend and had the 3rd gear holder on backwards. Took me a full day of pulling it down and putting it back together before I finally noticed my mistake.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:37 PM
petes66

ORIGINAL: Parputt537

Pete, I know this is going to sound silly, but make sure you have the 3rd gear clutch holder on the right way. I just built my three speed this weekend and had the 3rd gear holder on backwards. Took me a full day of pulling it down and putting it back together before I finally noticed my mistake.

that is installed right i think, but when you adjust the shift change from hole in the tranny, you are changing the shift from 2nd to 3rd? if this is the case the 3rd gear is fine because when i adjust it from there it makes a difference in the shift change. so i am missing 1st or 2nd.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:43 PM
SportsFans

then it sounds like it's starting in 2nd, and as you know to adjust the shift from 1st to 2nd you have to open up the case. I would start by turning that adjustment clockwise 3/4 of a turn,and if that doesn't do it then do it again until it stays in 1st to your liking then shift to 2nd.
Old 05-24-2008, 02:52 PM
Parputt537

You ever get this sorted? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:23 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

er...you can't start in 2nd, as it takes rotation to go up in gears (dogs fly out), BUT you can shift from 1st to 3rd due to adjustment. Also, if 1-2 is adjusted to shift early, it's hard to hear the shift. Biggest reason I know of for non-shifts is engine tune. And I guess the slipper needs to be tight, but I havn't had that happen to me (slipper problems causing non-shifting).
Old 05-24-2008, 05:07 PM
black mamba

If the slipper is too loose, like way too loose, it will not let the trans shift because the tranny input shaft rpms won't be high enough. I had that happen a few times so now my slipper nut is Loctited on full tight-it's never coming loose again unless I put a wrench on it.
Old 05-24-2008, 05:39 PM
SportsFans

ORIGINAL: Argess

er...you can't start in 2nd, as it takes rotation to go up in gears (dogs fly out), BUT you can shift from 1st to 3rd due to adjustment. Also, if 1-2 is adjusted to shift early, it's hard to hear the shift. Biggest reason I know of for non-shifts is engine tune. And I guess the slipper needs to be tight, but I havn't had that happen to me (slipper problems causing non-shifting).
er...if there is no tension on those dogs or the adjustment screw is backed out to far. Which means the spring under the adjustment screw has no load on it or very little, and that spring puts tension on the dog. So no tension on the dog and any slight rotation will make the dog fly out put you in 2nd right off. You need to put some tension on that dog by turning clock-wise as mention. The slipper, but it is shifting from 2nd to 3rd? Also sometimes if those adjustment screws are tighten to much for a longtime it will trash the spring and you will have shifting problems, and then you have to replace the spring.
Old 05-24-2008, 05:57 PM
black mamba

When my slipper would loosen up, it would never get out of first.
Old 05-24-2008, 06:06 PM
Vigilante212

Lift it up and give it gas slowly you might be shifting so fast that you cant tell. You can feel it shift easier then you can hear it.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:07 AM
d-rebel

I'm having the same issue with my xl. it hits 3rd nice, but I can't tell if it's going 1st-3rd or 2nd-3rd. is 1st real low gearing? or could it be mistaken for 2nd, it seems to be going about 30-40 kph when shifting into 3rd. Is 1st that fast? or would I know if it was 1st? sorry for metric but I'm going by feel here
Old 03-11-2010, 09:07 PM
madmike10
My Feedback: (4)

thanks them settings rocked i was about to my whits end with this 3 speed tranny i tryed the settings you all gave and works great im a happy camper agine
Old 03-12-2010, 12:25 AM
sharkattack99

3 speeds only shift twice, your always in first to start out then you shift to second then third. you can't shift in to first thats why its first gear,