Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Diff question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 09:29 PM
xXxCellARatOr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diff question.

Hi, does anyone know if i can get the 6x19x0.2mm washers from inside the diff separately? Or is there anything i can replace them with? I just took the diff apart today and the center washer was actually made up of 2 rings, an inner and an outter one. I guess it got cut in two by the spider gear. So now i need to replace it, but dont want to get the whole housing that comes with the washers for $12.

Im talking about the large washers in the following link: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...6827&search=Go

thanks.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:48 PM
SavageX78

Default RE: Diff question.

Check a hardware store. Just make sure the ones you get are steel cause thats what the original ones are made of.

Im sure a hardware store would have them cheap.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:49 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

yeah hardware stores have a ton of stuff i gotta go there more than tower, infact i should've, ahh well i did buy some stuff

rclugnut10
Old 06-20-2008, 09:53 PM
xXxCellARatOr

i c, yeah thats what i was thinking. only thing is most of the time hardware stores dont have these specific sizes that our RCs use. Like for example the diff bearings have a specific size that u cant find ANYWHERE. i called so many bearing retailers and they were all stunned when i told them the specifications.

But anyways, thanks, ill take a look and see what they have. Hopefully ill find something.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:55 PM
SavageX78

ORIGINAL: xXxCellARatOr

i c, yeah thats what i was thinking. only thing is most of the time hardware stores dont have these specific sizes that our RCs use. Like for example the diff bearings have a specific size that u cant find ANYWHERE. i called so many bearing retailers and they were all stunned when i told them the specifications.

But anyways, thanks, ill take a look and see what they have. Hopefully ill find something.

Ya its a hit or miss. You may get lucky and find them at a hardware store. Good luck and if I find anything ill let ya know.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:32 PM
Parputt537

I'll shoot mazdab2600 a PM. He found some Ofna washers (pack of 8-10) for pretty cheap that are the correct size. I just so happen to need some of these too so it will help us both out. I will give him the link to this thread so he can reply directly to it with the part # we need.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:40 PM
xXxCellARatOr

ok, thats great to hear. i found this thread on savage-central: http://www.savage-central.com/module...hlight=#645614

Looks like mazdab2600 knows of a Kyosho kit since thats what he linked to on there. If thats the only thing he knows of, ill have to take a look at some hardware stores first since that kit is arround $8 and only includes 4 of the required washers. But ill wait for a response and see if he knows of anything else.

P.S. The more i search, the more i realize that a lot of ppl are in need of these parts. Its such a surprise that they arent sold separately by HPI.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:43 PM
Parputt537

I'm pretty sure those are the ones he talked about. Kyosho, Ofna, bah that was a long time ago
Old 06-20-2008, 10:54 PM
xXxCellARatOr

yeah i c. in that case ill have to see if i cant find anything at the hardware store. cause if i can find anything, they would probably be something like a cpl of cents a piece.and if i can find anything like 6x...x0.2mm im good. doesnt have to be 19mm outer diameter. Just inner diameter and thickness has to be right. the main purpose of that washer is to make a proper seal with the o-ring to prevent the fluid from leaking out. But of course u cant run without it since it would throw off the mesh of the spider gears, and cause the diff to leak.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:29 PM
mazdab2600

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

kyosho bs053 is the kit.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:02 AM
xXxCellARatOr

wow, i checked Homedepot and homehardware and all i could find were more than 1mm washers and nowhere near the right diameters. And i also called about 8 hobby stores and none of em had the shims nor the Kyosho kit.

So mazdab2600, where did u get the Kit from?
Old 06-21-2008, 01:42 PM
DrtBikDave

I go to a fastener supply store. I am sure they have them everywhere just search using [link]http://www.yellowbook.com/[/link], the one by me that I like most is King Bolt. It seems they have almost everything.
Old 06-21-2008, 02:56 PM
mazdab2600

wow, i checked Homedepot and homehardware and all i could find were more than 1mm washers and nowhere near the right diameters. And i also called about 8 hobby stores and none of em had the shims nor the Kyosho kit.

So mazdab2600, where did u get the Kit from?
ebay
Old 06-21-2008, 03:20 PM
Parputt537

http://www.nitrohouse.com/parts,_mp777_sp-2.htm

11th item down on the list.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:59 PM
xXxCellARatOr

thanks for the links. i just noticed however, the shims in that package are 5x20mm. The ones the savage uses are 6x19mm. How would the kyosho ones fit? am i looking at the wrong one?
Old 06-21-2008, 06:24 PM
Parputt537

The set I linked to do not show the sizes of the shims/washers included. However, if mazda bought and used them I trust they are right.
Old 06-21-2008, 06:27 PM
xXxCellARatOr

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/3871
Old 06-21-2008, 10:43 PM
mazdab2600

thanks for the links. i just noticed however, the shims in that package are 5x20mm. The ones the savage uses are 6x19mm. How would the kyosho ones fit? am i looking at the wrong one?
never checked the large shims.
only used the smaller ones for shimming the diff bearings and spiders.
if you can get a 6mm drill bit or file it out to fit the drives cup shaft.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:56 AM
Parputt537

Well color me red. I thought you had used the large ones for inside the diff cups. I'm crawling back in my corner now.

However, I think I will order a set of these and just drill them out. The larger OD will not hurt a thing and it seems impossible to find the correct size anywhere without buying a complete diff cup set from HPI.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:50 AM
xXxCellARatOr

yeah, for me the smaller inner diameter is no biggy since i have a dremel with a cone shaped stone, so i can actually make an absolute perfect fit which will give me a better seal if anything. But ide be carefully with the drill. From personal experience, whenever i tried to enlarge a hole it always ended up shifting from the center. And it might also be really hard to hold the desk, the drill will probably grab it really hard. good luck.

and i said it too. its a shocker that these shims arent sold separately since it seems that they are a part that wears out all the time and quite quickly for that matter. After just 2 gallons of use when i took the diff apart, the shims had already bent and had grooves in them. One of my shims now was sliced in 2, lol.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:21 PM
mazdab2600

sorry for the miscommunication/misleading.

i also don't use diff oil. i pack mine with wheelbearing grease.
[sm=red_smile.gif]