Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Gear mesh question

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 09:31 PM
naynay12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear mesh question

I have robinson savage x ss steel clutchbell and spur, and the settings is a bit looose,it is about 1.5mm of play.What are the conequences of loose gears even if they are metal,they cant chip cna they?
Old 06-27-2008, 09:58 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Gear mesh question

yups i've read of that happening, just slip a pice of paper between the too, push together and tighten it up good, there will be a bit of play because 32 pitch gears a cool like that, but if you do the paper trick you'll be fine

and i tell this to all xss owners, check the cleance between you steel disk brakes and your CB move you breaks around and keep testing this a lost 2 CBs and spur to this problem i had to grind them down,

rclugnut10
Old 06-27-2008, 09:58 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They will, doesnt matter what happens they will destroy themsevles... May I ask why you would want to take the chance? Just mesh for a little less than 1mm of play and it will be fine.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:07 PM
justlift

to lose is like to tight the paper trick work the best for getting the mesh right or wight finger nail polish or paint you wont the mesh of the gears to be tight asposable wear you do not get binding to lose and you well bust the tooth of to tight it well wear like crazy.

take the paint and put it on some teeth then spin the gear and see how fare it wiped it off you wont to get it just as dept wear it do's not bind.
or the paper trick is wear you can roll a pis of paper threw with out cutting the paper with the gears

good luck
Old 06-28-2008, 06:28 AM
naynay12

Ok so there is a possibility of chipping a teeth,there is about 1.5mm of play,there is suppose to be under 1mm with steel gears,0.5 with platic i think...will it do anything to my preformance thoygh having the gears to loose or to tight?
Old 06-28-2008, 07:28 AM
rican25

i set the mesh mainly by feel now, Ive done this enough times to know what it should feel like when its right, but..... I still ask someone else to check it when I'm done!! nothings worse than getting the motor back in after changing CB, clutches, collet whatever and only getting a few laps in before you get the high pitched zinnngggg!!! that makes you want to scream because you already know what went wrong. LOL
Old 06-28-2008, 12:12 PM
pythonfan
My Feedback: (1)

i do it by feel now, and you can to the paper trick to that helps. but make sure you don't here this!

[:@][:@] http://s241.photobucket.com/albums/f...t=M4V00441.flv [:@][:@]
Old 06-28-2008, 01:45 PM
BudBud

I heard that last week, my Picco finished off another 46T RR gear. I only ran them on that truck (Truckzilla chassis) to get the higher gear ratio. I modified the chassis plates so I can got back to plastic when I burn up my last two RR gears. I am not sure what gets to them, first I will notice a couple of broken or partially broken teeth, then within the next gallon, I get that awful "nobody home" sound. It is not damaging the clutch bells at all. Anyway, I will soon convert that truck back to plastic.

That clutch was from my other Picco Savage, the one that had the runaway and found a chainlink fence to climb after rolling on its own for about a quarter of a mile. The antenna wire got pulled off about 2 inches from the rx and it had a mind of its own from there. After watching it run across the park twice and two city streets, it found the fence. I knew it sat there and smoked for the few seconds before climbing the fence and flipping over on its lid. Yesterday I replaced the rx and took it out to run, when I opened the 28 up for the wheelie show, I got a puff of smoke from the center of the truck and not much drive. It cooked the clutch bearings and shoes, the bell was hot enough to melt its way into the spur when I killed it. The bearings were still intact, but they were gritty feeling.

I should have checked the clutch the first time. It just goes to show you how fast they can fry things at the crazy rpm they turn. The puff of smoke was actually my clutch shoes giving it up, black clutch debris everywhere from escaping the vented bell. I am just glad the heat did not get the seals on my front bearing. I have seen that a couple of times with closed bells. It sure turned those clutch bearings a pretty shade of blue.... BB
Old 06-28-2008, 02:01 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whatever method you use, make sure there is between .75 to 1.0mm of clearance.