Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

The XL gets a new skin!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 05:35 PM
BudBud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The XL gets a new skin!

I kind of butchered the grill openings, good thing it is a basher body! I am hoping to get enough air flow through the grill and below the body to keep the engine cool. I may have to vent it some more.

I like the way the antenna just barely makes it through the back window! It will be hard to kink, I hope the reception is not handicapped too much.

I know the stickers are in the wrong place, I had to cover a scratch I made in the paint. [8D]

In 2003 I bought a new Dodge Quadcab, shortly after that I lost a $12,000 a year part time job and three years later, I gave up on the big payments and sold the truck. I could have kept it, but I like to play too much. I wanted to do a Quad cab, but they are too short for the XL chassis. The Mega Cab is the next closest thing I could find. Bud

Old 07-30-2008, 06:16 PM
MikeVi

Default RE: The XL gets a new skin!

That looks awesome. I have an 07 Silverado. Going to buy the body for it and paint it white also to match my truck. Also, Axial makes rim that are the exact same as mine. Its going to be insane.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:46 PM
SAVAGEBANE

nice one . once you get that all dirty its gonna look good ..dirt on white paint.
i would make a joke out of it and photoshop the xl into the 1:1 dodge pic side by side some kingd of way just to be silly about it.
nice truck though
Old 07-30-2008, 10:01 PM
sb13
My Feedback: (52)

Sweet BB!!
Old 07-30-2008, 10:06 PM
BudBud

I took it out this evening and did a few lid skids, thankfully none on pavement. I edited a video, mostly wheelies and tire buring antics. I will post a link when YouTube decides to accept it. It has been loading for 30 minutes, maybe more. I may have to start over..... It looks cool standing on its tail in green grass.... [8D] Bud
Old 07-30-2008, 11:09 PM
BudBud

The video has finally completed! [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVCLxpFJmTs]A little fun with the 5.9![/link] Bud
Old 07-31-2008, 01:42 AM
Wisconsin Nitro

i dunno... it just doesen't look like it belongs on there
Old 07-31-2008, 04:12 AM
BudBud

The fender openings are too short for the chassis, but what else is a guy to do? It is one of the longest bodies available, until the aftermarket catches up.... Bud
Old 07-31-2008, 07:42 AM
Midget

Awesome video,
I love it at :7:47, how you wheelie - Drops to the ground, Than pull it back up again.
Nice work on the Shell aswell.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:03 AM
BudBud

Thanks, I find it much harder to tune with the body on. The temperatures rise faster and it makes it lean on the low end. I was making minute adjustments all the way through the video. It seems like it runs out of fuel on the top side. If you make it lean enough to get some top end, then it acts like it is starving as it climbs on up. If I add fuel to help support the high end, then it goes flat in the middle. I think it is suffering the same low fuel pressure problem the Piccos do on the Hpi polished pipe. It seems like there is no magical top end setting. I have five different pipes and five different headers to experiment with. I am betting I will find something to make it work. It is no dog, but it is not really as strong as I think it should be. I have Axial 32 engines that will outrun this one. Bud
Old 07-31-2008, 09:28 AM
Revomad1

I'm using the CEN GST 7.7 pipe AND header now. I had to modify the header to work in the savage, but it has larger diameter tubing and flows way better than the stock Savage X header. It allows the RPM's to climb a lot quicker. I think you should buy a CEN pipe and header cheap on Ebay and give it a shot. It gives the 5.9 more power throughout the RPM range without having to lean the engine out like you need to do with the HPI polished. Just make sure you take the baffle out of the CEN pipe so you get the most out of it. I need to make another video now that I'm well into my 2nd gallon of fuel with the 5.9. It's really starting to free up on the top end. I have an Innovative RC chassis set, 40 series Mulcher tires and an XL 3 speed transmission on the way also.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:46 AM
SportsFans

Looks good BB! I have a 06 Duramax, but can't find a 06 lid. Will have to get the 07 or 08 lid.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:11 AM
BigGrump

If I add fuel to help support the high end, then it goes flat in the middle.

I have experienced this with several engines. My solutions have always had to do with a comprimise I had to make with myself. Sometimes it required a gear change that would let it pull quicker through the midrange. Sometimes I simply had to accept the engine and truck combination was not ment for top rpm use. Sometimes I get mad and get another engine. Usually I finally grab another truck and engine combination and go do something else with it. Carb changes also make a difference for me.

But basically, since I am generally stuck with the sport type engines, I seem to fall back to the SH based engines as the best comprimise for me. But, the black magic required from these nitro engines and changing personal expectations, can really get you pulling your hair out.

Dennis
Old 07-31-2008, 11:41 AM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[8D]Now we know what bodies will fit the XL. Nice work.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:47 AM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tuning a nitro engine is always a compromise. Just shoot for a middle ground where the truck performs well and call it good. You can only do so much with a very basic nitro carburetor and the twitchy nature of a nitro engine.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:45 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: SportsFans

Looks good BB! I have a 06 Duramax, but can't find a 06 lid. Will have to get the 07 or 08 lid.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEPD0&P=7

Not an HD, but close 'nuff for government work

Extended cab 1500
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFHM4&P=7
Old 07-31-2008, 10:31 PM
SportsFans

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: SportsFans

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEPD0&P=7

Not an HD, but close 'nuff for government work

Extended cab 1500
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFHM4&P=7
hehe thanks ThunderbirdJunkie, I have the first one unpainted for about a year now I think it's an 03. I just don't like the dimensions of it, it's kinda wide and stubby but yet it's a true 1/8 scale. I think I'll go with the unpainted XL lid.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...3&I=LXUWK8&P=K

thx
Old 08-02-2008, 05:52 PM
savycharlie

Nice! My dad has a 2004 dodge cummins. He loves it.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:00 AM
BudBud

I won another set of XL chassis plates last night, so I will be adding the stretch to a fourth truck. I bought this body yesterday, I think maybe a pearly white GraveDigger Bidy with red fenders might be next. Bud