Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Picco 27 issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 02:30 PM
trayman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picco 27 issue

Hey guys I'm BACK! It's been 2 years since I've ran my savage. I'm having a problem I have a savage 25 with a picco 27 in it .. The older one with the green head on it. Well when I put it away I put afterrun oil in it. I went to run it today and it started right up and ran for maybe 10 seconds shut off and nothing! The backplate is just spinning not turning the motor over. So I pulled the glow plug and the piston isn't moving and I can't spin the flywheel? The wheel that connects on the gear on the motor if that makes sense. I'm wondering if I pull the motor and try putting a pilers on there and free up that piston. Probably spray some wd 40 in there when i do it. Is my motor shot? Or do you think I can free it up? I really don't want to buy a motor so if it's shot I will probably just sell everything I have.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:03 PM
dadirtsavage

Default RE: Picco 27 issue

ORIGINAL: trayman

Hey guys I'm BACK! It's been 2 years since I've ran my savage. I'm having a problem I have a savage 25 with a picco 27 in it .. The older one with the green head on it. Well when I put it away I put afterrun oil in it. I went to run it today and it started right up and ran for maybe 10 seconds shut off and nothing! The backplate is just spinning not turning the motor over. So I pulled the glow plug and the piston isn't moving and I can't spin the flywheel? The wheel that connects on the gear on the motor if that makes sense. I'm wondering if I pull the motor and try putting a pilers on there and free up that piston. Probably spray some wd 40 in there when i do it. Is my motor shot? Or do you think I can free it up? I really don't want to buy a motor so if it's shot I will probably just sell everything I have.
It sounds like you stripped the gear that turns the motor over. maybe get a new pullstart or if ur using roto start get a new rotorstart setup.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:07 PM
trayman

I didn't strip anything ... The motor flywheel on the shaft the cb connects to doesn't spin cuz the piston is stuck... I got it spin like twice and now its completely stuck..
Old 08-16-2008, 07:18 PM
BudBud

Did you pull the plug to make sure it is not hydrolocked? Not probable while running, but if it died and then flooded.... I would suspect a glow plug died, those Piccos are pretty tough stuff. Bud
Old 08-16-2008, 08:06 PM
-SomeGuy-

Try taking off the backplate to remove the bearing. The older piccos have a flaw when it comes to the OWB where it has square notches as opposed to the round notches on the .28. This makes it easier for the casing to to crack under big loads and sometimes jamming the crankshaft. Ive been through a few broken OWB casings where the bearings themselves are still good but on the 28 it just keeps going and going. I just bought a new .28 OWB and im thinking of removing the little extra material around the edge to make it fit in the .27 hoping this will give me the reliability the 28 OWB has.

EDIT: Im not at home now but when I get back Ill post a few pick to show what I mean.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:59 PM
BudBud

ORIGINAL: -SomeGuy-

Try taking off the backplate to remove the bearing. The older piccos have a flaw when it comes to the OWB where it has square notches as opposed to the round notches on the .28. This makes it easier for the casing to to crack under big loads and sometimes jamming the crankshaft. Ive been through a few broken OWB casings where the bearings themselves are still good but on the 28 it just keeps going and going. I just bought a new .28 OWB and im thinking of removing the little extra material around the edge to make it fit in the .27 hoping this will give me the reliability the 28 OWB has.

EDIT: Im not at home now but when I get back Ill post a few pick to show what I mean.
Hey! Thanks for that... I have been trying off an on to buy a Picco 27 to go with the rest of the Picco collection, maybe I really do not need one.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:18 PM
-SomeGuy-

The engine itself is great and has awesome power, honestly its hard to tell the difference between the 27 and 28. Maybe its because im not running the right pipe and maybe my tuning is not 100% but apart from the bearing issue I dont regret getting one.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99512.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	1013038  
Old 08-16-2008, 11:40 PM
BudBud

I always thought their tall head was kind of cool looking. I am sure they all have their little quirks. Thanks, Bud
Old 08-17-2008, 03:38 AM
trayman

Well I'll pull the motor later on today .. gotta catch some z's now. But yes I did pull the glow plug thats how I can see the piston not moving. I try to spin the motor by hand and nothing! oh well I'll find out in the morning
Old 08-17-2008, 04:36 AM
-SomeGuy-

Check the bearing just to make sure, and let us know.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:59 AM
naynay12

I had the same problem.What i do if put some after run oil in the head,through the glowplug hole,or take the engine head off and put after run oil on it.Hot a hair dryer warmed it up to arund 200f and turned the motor over and it unjammed.When you warm the engine up the piston and sleeve expand and it frees it.
Also if that does not work take the engine out get some thing like pliers or vice grips and turn the engine ove rby holding the flywheel,thats what i once did with a new engine.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:24 AM
BudBud

If it is just pinch stuck, I have rolled them with a small screw driver in the chassis. I think what he iis describing though is an engine with hours on it locking up. I did not think anout it being new enough for the Picco pinch...which can be quite tight. Bud
Old 08-17-2008, 11:20 AM
trayman

Oh its got plenty of hours on it. Over 4 gallons thru it. I'm going to work on it now.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:29 PM
trayman

ORIGINAL: -SomeGuy-

Well dang!! I tried to tell myself I didn't strip anything but when the piston got jammed the OWB casting is cracked! Is this something I can just go to the hobby store for or do I have to order online some place? Thanks alot someguy you really helped.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:34 PM
-SomeGuy-

You might be lucky and find one at your LHS but its not likely, check ebay but even there sometimes it might be a while until one pops up. You could find the seller rcboyz and call them directly (they have the phone# one each listing), they have allot of stuff in stock that they dont list on ebay.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:46 PM
BudBud

Picco number 51325 and these guys have been super with Picco 26 parts. Bud

[link=http://www.nitrohouse.com/picco%2027%20exploded.htm]NitroHouse[/link]
Old 08-17-2008, 07:57 PM
trayman

Thanks bud .. $22 thou!!! Oh well just ordered it I really want to get this thing out again.