Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Visiting shocks again...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 09:14 PM
BudBud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Visiting shocks again...

I took the Truckzilla out today and was trying to climb a large pile of wood chips. It kept burying itself into the chips, so I kept adding a little more speed. At any rate, some time in the abuse I managed to bend two more aluminum shocks. These are the Hot Bodies shocks with the threaded body. I like the way they look, adjust and handle on the smooth, but they really seem to bend easily.

I know Integy reservoirs are junk, they were on this chassis when I bought it.

I am curious how the guys that bought the Hpi Big Bores are getting along with them, now that they have been running them for a while. I am looking for a review, before I blow more shock money. Maybe a set of stockers is what I should pursue....

It may be time to think about buying some towers and different brand shocks....

Another set of XL plates arrived yesterday, so this may be the last run for the old Truckzilla plates. Just think, a few months ago that was my favorite chassis.... Thanks .... Bud
Old 08-16-2008, 10:11 PM
BudBud

Default RE: Visiting shocks again...

I guess I only ruined one, the left front. At any rate, the shaft is quite a bit heavier than the stock Savage shock, but apparently not as tough.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:12 PM
Sparco

ORIGINAL: BudBud

I guess I only ruined one, the left front. At any rate, the shaft is quite a bit heavier than the stock Savage shock, but apparently not as tough.
What about replacing the shaft with stock shafts? On all the HB shocks.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:49 PM
madmax22

what about LST shocks? you should try them!
Old 08-17-2008, 10:00 PM
BudBud

I do have a set of LST shocks on an EK4, I guess I could just buy mounts and/or towers and steal them off of the other truck.

The Hb shafts are longer and larger in diameter than the Hpi shafts, the shock is a completely different design internally. I really wish somebody with bog bore experience would chime in.

anybody...

Old 08-17-2008, 10:42 PM
HPI_Savage_RC

You are running very flexible nylon suspension arms and rigid aluminum shock bodies... Guess what is going to happen when the wheels are subjected to an impact that causes the suspension arms to elastically deform? Yep, the shafts will bend. I only run stock plastic shock bodies, because they elastically deform in a similar manner to the arms when force is applied to the shafts, which substantially reduces the reaction forces exerted on the center of the shafts by the bodies. I still bend shafts occasionally on very high jumps, but I really doubt there is an R/C shock in existence that can withstand repeated drops onto one wheel from 15+ feet.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:13 PM
BudBud

ORIGINAL: HPI_Savage_RC

You are running very flexible nylon suspension arms and rigid aluminum shock bodies... Guess what is going to happen when the wheels are subjected to an impact that causes the suspension arms to elastically deform? Yep, the shafts will bend. I only run stock plastic shock bodies, because they elastically deform in a similar manner to the arms when force is applied to the shafts, which substantially reduces the reaction forces exerted on the center of the shafts by the bodies. I still bend shafts occasionally on very high jumps, but I really doubt there is an R/C shock in existence that can withstand repeated drops onto one wheel from 15+ feet.
I am not a big air person, I doubt this truck has ever seen three feet. I have bent these on cartwheels, which I could understand. I bent one stuffing it under the bottom of a chain link fence, also understandable. This set apparently compressed entering the pile of wood chips. It would be similar to bending them going up a ramp. I am running Hpi 20 wt silicone shock oil, maybe they need 10? They appear heavier, but they have not turned out to be that way. There was no sky landing , no impact with a solid object, maybe a quick compression from entering the pile of chips. They are nice looking, but like a lot of nice looking accessories, not worth the money I spent on them.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:08 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

BB, I think you need vigilante's low-profile shock towers, some Jammin X2CRT rear shocks (x4), and then you can do the lowrider body.

Seriously, though...HPI_Savage_RC explained what I could never put into words...which I think is part of the reason I've had so much trouble with shocks since I decided to ditch the stockers.

Perhaps I should go aluminum lower arms (UGH I hate even THINKING that...)

I seriously doubt, unless it's just a straight-up CRAP choice in materials, that your shock shafts would've bent under compression before the jump with 20 wt oil.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:24 AM
HPI_Savage_RC

We need 6V 4Al titanium shock shafts, far greater modulus of elasticity than steel. Think FlexTech suspension arms.

So, who's going to email Lunsford...
Old 08-18-2008, 12:33 AM
BudBud

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

BB, I think you need vigilante's low-profile shock towers, some Jammin X2CRT rear shocks (x4), and then you can do the lowrider body.

Seriously, though...HPI_Savage_RC explained what I could never put into words...which I think is part of the reason I've had so much trouble with shocks since I decided to ditch the stockers.

Perhaps I should go aluminum lower arms (UGH I hate even THINKING that...)

I seriously doubt, unless it's just a straight-up CRAP choice in materials, that your shock shafts would've bent under compression before the jump with 20 wt oil.
That is just it, there never was a jump. It was just hitting a steep hill of wood chips. Loose wood chips, the kind of stuff you would like to fall into versus dirt, next best thing to straw or water. I have bent some running across fairly flat ground and going through a little dip too. I am not bying another set of these, as I destroy them, I will switch back to stock until I no longer have enough of them to set up one axle. I had three sets all together, I am down to six spares. [:@] Maybe this post will keep somebody else from buying them... They look pretty nice though...