Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

savage xl half tank lean

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 11:37 PM
sxviper698

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default savage xl half tank lean

first off hi to everyone here . i've had my savage xl for 3 weeks and it's awsome. this is my first nitro truck. was into electric when i was a kid. nitro was a fortune 20 years ago!!! . i keep reading about this half tank lean issue. i can't hear if its lean because the lack of experiance with nitro motors. i watch for smoke and check temp regularly. how can i fix this problem? pictures and step buy step directions would be nice. also engine protector doesn't fit ,and how can i get the exaust routed out the back of the truck as to keep it from getting nitro exaust all over the side of the truck and rear a arm. what a mess. thanks from a nitro first timer.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:23 AM
MadManAndrew

Default RE: savage xl half tank lean

1. If you don't really see a half tank lean problem just leave it alone, unless your racin its not that big of a deal. but: There's no way to rid of half tank lean other then getting a new tank and doing a tank mod.There's some good designs on here, search for "savage tank mod".
2.What do you mean the motor protector doesn't fit? My cut into my body so I cut slots for it with my dremel tool.
3. As for the exhuast, you don't need rear exhaust just get an exhuast deflector.[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0095p?FVPROFIL=&FVSEARCH=exhaust+DEFLECTOR+++]Here's a link to some.[/link]The Venow ones will fit perfect.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:45 AM
BudBud

Funny you would post this just as I was working on fitting a Tower Terror tank. I tried it on my Truckzilla and it was just a little too short. This tank is longer, narrower, shallower and has more capacity. It is 170cc. The step in the Savage tank design is the root of the problem, I think. At any rate, you can help your situation a lot by making your fuel line as short as possible between the tank and the carb. Take the main needle tube loose and turn the nipple so it points between the carb body and the engine block.

The engine protector does not fit, the extended XL chassis is too long for the X designed engine protector. I have seen some pretty cobbled up wire tie solutions. I just run an after market body that protects the engine, like a Pro Line Dodge Mega Cab or the 1980 Chevy Pickup for the MGT sized trucks.

The exhaust deflector is actually a very good idea for the polished XL pipe. The pipe has very low fuel pressure and makes the engines go lean on top end. The deflector will generate a little more back pressure.

Here is the tank mod I was talking about. It will require two small holes to be drilled into the chassis. Those are stock Tower Terror tank mounts and a stock Tower Terror tank. I will have an answer for you if this works or not by the end of the week. I aplogize for me very dirty LRP. Bud

The Mega Cab...

The Chevy... and yeah, I have to remove the body to tune, start or fuel. My newest Mega Cab I did cut the back out a little. Bud

Old 08-26-2008, 07:34 AM
sb13
My Feedback: (52)

No one ever seems to be at it like BB. Nice work on the mods dude.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:38 AM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

I just trimmed down my fuel line so that it is much shorter and just goes around the head and directly to the fuel intake. No lean issues for me.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:01 PM
sxviper698

thanks for all the info. my stock head protector doesn't reach the rear shock mount,its about two inches short and its the one that came in the kit.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:18 PM
BudBud

ORIGINAL: sxviper698

thanks for all the info. my stock head protector doesn't reach the rear shock mount,its about two inches short and its the one that came in the kit.
Exactly, it was designed for the X and not the XL. I just run with a decent aftermarket body that covers the engine. The XL is a MGT/LST2 sized truck. If you go to buy an aftermarket body, get one that is big and use it for a roll cage.

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbfEt9pks5U]These are both XL trucks[/link] with the Proline MegaCab bodies. I think I left a pretty good tumble or two in there. Your stock body is beautiful, but thin and you will break it soon anyway. Bud
Old 08-26-2008, 11:30 PM
sxviper698

thanks. one other question. if i put low profile tires on the truck will it over rev the motor and not go so good. if not what size and tires do you suggest. i'm eyeing phaltlines with rimms and tires on ebay .
Old 08-26-2008, 11:53 PM
xc7

ORIGINAL: sxviper698

Pretty shady on HPI's part !! They knew about it but chose not to re-open the boxes and remove them.. Kinda dirty if you ask me and there isn't a fitted one available as of yet. This is what I was told by my lhs anyhow. In the mean time, I used my extended body mounts and have now watched them get ground down to almost nothing pretty quick, so it looks like I'm gonna do what BudBud said and use the body as my cage
Old 08-27-2008, 12:12 AM
sxviper698

are they making new ones ? and about low profile tires any idea . thanks
Old 08-27-2008, 08:54 PM
twomanytoys

If you change tire size in any way you have to regear and or even redo your shift points.