Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

This thing is starting to annoy me...

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 05:44 PM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This thing is starting to annoy me...

Every single time that I try running this damn thing, it either takes forever to start, or it DOESN'T start at all! [:@]

I use a cordless drill with the shaft that came with the roto-start. Battery on the drill is full and the tq is set to low.

Today I primed it, tried turning it over and then primed it some more. After I primed it some more and tried starting it, it sounded like it was about to start for a few seconds and then it just went back to its normal dead popping sound. Glow plug is good, glow igniter is good...so ***?

I just wiped off the carburetor and after doing all of this, the bottom of my filter hose thing is slightly wet from fuel. Could the carb be acting as exhaust?

Please help because I don't want to drive to my LHS every time this thing is a PITA.

thank you and excuse my anger
dan
Old 08-28-2008, 08:32 PM
fasterrcs

Default RE: This thing is starting to annoy me...

you could be flooding it each time you try to run it. try this take the hose going to the tank to the muffler .pull it off the muffler and put it in your mouth and slowly blow while watching the fuel line going to the motor you will see the fuel slowly going through the line and stop blowing when it just hits the carb [ no air bubbles ] don't blow the fuel in the carb . and make sure your glow starter is fully charged and make sure your plug is in good shape also make sure the tank cap has a good tight seal and open the carb a little bit with the knob on the controller. work for me everytime
Old 08-28-2008, 08:44 PM
Wisconsin Nitro

just sounds like a bad tune to me? try setting it back to factory and go from there or have an expert tune it for ya
Old 08-28-2008, 11:40 PM
PrjctStrtFrce

I figured that my cordless drill method would have its disadvantages

When I went to prime it with my finger blocking the exhaust, it wouldn't prime it enough. Guy at LHS plugged the carburetor, primed it and it fired right up. [sm=red_smile.gif]
Old 08-29-2008, 12:50 AM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: fasterrcs

you could be flooding it each time you try to run it. try this take the hose going to the tank to the muffler .pull it off the muffler and put it in your mouth and slowly blow while watching the fuel line going to the motor you will see the fuel slowly going through the line and stop blowing when it just hits the carb [ no air bubbles ] don't blow the fuel in the carb . and make sure your glow starter is fully charged and make sure your plug is in good shape also make sure the tank cap has a good tight seal and open the carb a little bit with the knob on the controller. work for me everytime
This is THE best way to prime a engine if you don't have a primer bulb.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:36 PM
madmax22

i do the same thing fasterrc's does. the other way takes to long and wears at your OWB.... are you giving it enought throttle when trying to start it?
Old 08-31-2008, 12:21 AM
burnchassis3

delete
Old 08-31-2008, 06:19 PM
black mamba

Pull the pressure line off the pipe, blow into it until fuel hits the carb inlet nipple, put the line back on the pipe, slide your roto shaft into the hole, hit the drill and it should fire up instantaneously if you did it right. If not, you didn't prime it right or your drill isn't spinning fast enough to get it fired up.[8D]
Old 08-31-2008, 09:38 PM
PrjctStrtFrce

I already got it running and it was awesome!

Now I just have to fix the half-tank-lean thing
Old 08-31-2008, 10:20 PM
black mamba

You are only going to be able to control it if you stay with the stock tank. That's the main reason it happens-the stepped tank. Some guys shorten the fuel line, some run the carb a bit richer and some just refuel when the tank gets half empty. All methods will work to a degree to lessen the impact, but it never really goes away per se until you put a non-stepped tank on it.[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 08-31-2008, 10:30 PM
PrjctStrtFrce

So I have the shortened line that goes from the tank around the engine and to the carb.

I've just been reading up on it and quite a few people say that they LENGTHENED the line to make the half tank lean go away...so which way is it?

I can only control it with the stock tank, but it goes away with a non-stepped tank? Doesn't that cancel itself out? lol
Old 08-31-2008, 10:36 PM
black mamba

Yeah, changing the tank gets rid of it. The way I get around it is to fill up between half a tank and a quarter tank. Easy enough to do.[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 09-01-2008, 08:46 PM
PrjctStrtFrce

ooooo got it after re-reading it!

so shorter fuel tube or longer fuel tube?
Old 09-01-2008, 09:03 PM
sb13
My Feedback: (52)

Shorter tube.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:34 AM
black mamba

Yeah shorter tube. I cut about 3" off of my line and let the tank go just about empty and the truck didn't seem to exhibit any noticeable leanout symptoms. Maybe there is something to running a shorter fuel line?[sm=idea.gif] This is perfect because my 5.9 empties a tank pretty fast...........and refilling every couple of minutes when it hit half a tank was a pain in the arse.