Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Throttle return spring

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 12:05 PM
tmanbu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle return spring

Are any of you guys using any different return springs other than HPI, like Traxxas or Losi.
Thanks
Old 09-05-2008, 12:18 PM
TheOtherSide

Default RE: Throttle return spring

Yeah.. not totally thrilled with how the HPI one works.... still fighting to get it positioned right on my Picco.... Grrrr.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:34 PM
Stablock

The spring is the first thing I threw away. I never drove my truck with that spring on for a few reasons; First, It didn't look like the carb could open all the way with the spring on. It sure did with the spring off! Second, it puts extra strain on the somewhat weak (stock) servo. It's trying to open full throttle but the spring wouldn't allow it. And third, and most important, you get faster throttle response without it.

Reasons for keeping it on? The only thing I can think of is if your linkage comes apart then there is a possibility of a runaway with out the spring . But, the chances of that are unlikely.

Personally, the reasons for not having it is far greater then having it. So I turfed mine.

I never had a runaway. I've always made sure the batteries in the receiver and radio are always charged to minimize the chances. I use to use the truck a fair bit. Now, not nearly as much (new baby). So I broke down and bought a failsafe. That way, when I blow the dust off it and take it for a burn, I'm protected against low batteries.

But I'll never put that spring back on.

The TRS does not have enough strength to close the carb if battery juice in your receiver is severed yet the linkage is attached to the servo. Try it. Turn your power off on your receiver at WOT and you will be lucky if it closes a quarter of the way.

If your battery power in your receiver becomes dangerously low, your servos become sluggish and slow to respond. If that happens (without a TRS) and you brake at WOT, it may take a full second or two before your carb closes and another second or two before the brakes start to slow down the truck! In racing, that means you missed the breaking zone after that long straightaway by about a mile and your truck jumped the banked corner and sailed clean into the 3rd row seating of the bleachers and RPMs are JUST starting to die down! That is why you need a TRS in racing! It helps close the carb in a timely manner. Same scenario WITH a TRS and you may have only over shot the corner and missed the apex and possibly drop back a position or two because some one passed you on the inside and was quicker on the throttle out of the corner! But I digress.

A TRS is to help assist the servo and return the carb to a closed position in a timely maner. In the UNLIKELY event that your linkage disconnects from the servo, the return spring will close the carb. Yes. However that is not what it is designed to do.

I think that spring can be put to better use. Keep it as a spare for your favorite pen!
Old 09-06-2008, 01:02 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Stablock

Reasons for keeping it on? The only thing I can think of is if your linkage comes apart then there is a possibility of a runaway with out the spring . But, the chances of that are unlikely.
And the typical scenario for THAT would be that the ball end comes off the carb pull....which means you still have brakes.

My brakes can stop my truck at WOT, so all is good
Old 09-07-2008, 10:48 AM
Stablock

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

And the typical scenario for THAT would be that the ball end comes off the carb pull....which means you still have brakes.

I never even thought about that. Interesting. But I don't think I would test it.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:51 AM
TheOtherSide

Gonna make some improvements to my throttle/brake this week..... just ordered enough stuff to do 2 ofna throttle mods to 2 of my Savages. Then I'll work on the throttle return spring scenario....

Old 09-07-2008, 12:01 PM
traxxaskid109

I keep things simple. use a low tension rubber band. enough to keep the carb closed in failure and weak enough to not put stress on the servo.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:00 PM
GANGstar305

ORIGINAL: traxxaskid109

I keep things simple. use a low tension rubber band. enough to keep the carb closed in failure and weak enough to not put stress on the servo.
+1 [8D]
Old 09-07-2008, 10:48 PM
Stablock

...enough to keep the carb closed in failure ....
What failure are you refering to?
Old 09-07-2008, 10:55 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

I never even thought about that. Interesting. But I don't think I would test it.
I have. I hit a parked car and the force of the crash caused the ball end to pop out. The ball end was worn anyways, and needed to be replaced. The return spring did its job and put the engine back to idle instantly.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:56 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: tmanbu

Are any of you guys using any different return springs other than HPI, like Traxxas or Losi.
Thanks
For all my HPI engines (K4.6s), I use the stock spring. For my aftermarket engines, I use the spring that comes with them. If the engine did not come with a spring, I have used Liso, Traxxas, and Mugen return springs.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:17 PM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm using the HPI spring......it's the only one I had lying around.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:39 PM
traxxaskid109

...enough to keep the carb closed in failure ....
What failure are you refering to?

In the event your linkage somehow goes bad. That really is the only mechanical malfunction possible, or within reason at least, but not including electrical malfunctions like a bad servo. The only other thing that may go wrong is a jammed carb which actually happened to me last year, but that rarely happens.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:25 PM
Revomad1

I stretched mine so it's not as strong and hooked it on the vertical chassis plate next to the header.