Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Keep busting diffs and bevel!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 04:29 PM
racefans26

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keep busting diffs and bevel!!!!!

Alright, almost everytime out i keep busting diffs or the bevel gear, this one lasted 2 tanks??? i have 3 speed, 15 tooth bell, 47 spur, 40 series crimefighters. I have checked the slipper a thousand times!!!! Any ideas??
Old 09-20-2008, 05:02 PM
SportsFans

Default RE: Keep busting diffs and bevel!!!!!

Are the bearing seated properly in the bulk head? Also are you letting off the gas when landing after a jump? Everything shimmed up properly in the diff? Finally any damage to the pinion gear (look close). Oiled or greased up good in the diff? Just a few thoughts.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:12 PM
madmax22

did you shim the diffs?
Old 09-20-2008, 05:12 PM
racefans26

yeah seated right, i dont even have to be jumping, this time today i was runnung on flat ground, in short fresh cut grass and busted the rear. I have ran with little grease, alot of grease, even no grease with the same result. i looked at the pinion and ring gear It is the pinion (bevelgear), that i break the most. Bevel gear stock part # 86031
Old 09-20-2008, 05:18 PM
racefans26

no shims. they seem to ride on eachother great. not to tight not to loose, just like new..
Old 09-20-2008, 05:29 PM
SportsFans

Ok that gear, that's the one I refered to as the pinion gear. Now I had one of those go also, because the diff was running out of alignment due to one bearing on the diff wasn't seated in the bulk head properly causing that bearing to fail. After the bearing failed it was quick work before the pinion or bevel gear was toast. Make sure the bearings are in good shape and no exessive play when the bulk head is all buttoned up. Oh all the gears in the diff and on the diff have the word "bevel" in their name.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:30 PM
Revomad1

With a 3 speed and lightweight tires like the crimefighters, you should be able to run a 16 or 17 tooth clutch bell. The 15 tooth clutch bell will be giving you insane low end torque, which will put a lot of stress on your drive train. A larger clutch bell will smooth out the power delivery and prevent your engine from getting into it's peak power zone too early.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:21 PM
SportsFans

ORIGINAL: racefans26

no shims. they seem to ride on eachother great. not to tight not to loose, just like new..
The diffs should've come with shims in them stock. There should not be any play on the inside of the diffs. With no shims you run the risk of breaking internal bevel gears on the inside of the diffs. Is this happening in the front and rear diffs?
Old 09-20-2008, 07:01 PM
racefans26

Yes front and rear... I have bought all new everytime. even just bought the whole diff assembly and with the same result. And Revo I just put that bell on today, that is the only one my LHS had in stock.. and the rest of the broken parts were with the stock bell and spur...
Old 09-20-2008, 08:22 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Alright, almost everytime out i keep busting diffs or the bevel gear, this one lasted 2 tanks??? i have 3 speed, 15 tooth bell, 47 spur, 40 series crimefighters. I have checked the slipper a thousand times!!!! Any ideas??
Since you did shims & all that, the other thing you can do to prevent stripping teeth on your diff outer bevels and piinions is to make sure that when you land, you have your finger off the trigger when you land. Make sure that trigger is in neutral position when the Savage hits the ground. If you a gassing it or are on the brakes, you WILL strip teeth.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:54 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

I think you pulled the crush sleeve too far in
Old 09-20-2008, 09:15 PM
racefans26

i think i dont know lol that is like set # 4 lol
Old 09-20-2008, 09:18 PM
HPI_Savage_RC

http://rcbasher.com/savcendiffs.html
Old 09-20-2008, 11:21 PM
SAVAGEJIM

i think i dont know lol that is like set # 4 lol
Wow, you are well on your way to filling up a bucket or junked parts. You might be able to take them to the recycler and sell them the metal
Old 09-20-2008, 11:24 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: HPI_Savage_RC

Oh yeah! I love the Cenchain (CEN) GST/Genesis/Nemesis diffs! They are thicker teeth and definitely tougher, but I have never taken the risk of trying to find out if the teeth wil strip when landing while gassing or braking. Too bad that all the Ebay chop shops charge an arm and leg for them; then never even offer a buy-out option so you have to bid-fight for them
Old 09-20-2008, 11:27 PM
racefans26

well thanks guys...Got a whole new savy on the way tomorrow so we will see what happens!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-25-2008, 01:00 AM
kevinmansouri

you might want to check your diff cases. if you have a striped screw it could be flexing under load and allowing the gears to slip. just a thought
Old 09-25-2008, 11:53 AM
02R6420

well thanks guys...Got a whole new savy on the way tomorrow so we will see what happens!!!!!!!!!!
You bought a whole new savage because of a diff problem? I'll take the old one off your hands. lol
Old 09-25-2008, 01:48 PM
SAVAGEBANE

I have never had any diff problems, and I dont want them of course. what I do want to know is what causes them to strip? from what I gather, if you land a jump with the throttle or brakes engaged.... then stuff is definitely going to break because of stress. Is there anything else from normal running and bashing that will strip diffs?
should i have diff grease/fluid in there?
Old 09-25-2008, 02:12 PM
racefans26

ORIGINAL: 02R6420

You bought a whole new savage because of a diff problem? I'll take the old one off your hands. lol
I didnt buy it cause my diffs, It was such a deal i couldnt pass it up...
Old 09-25-2008, 04:06 PM
bionictony

looks like you need #86922 HPI Machined Heavy Duty Bevel Gear

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTSY7&P=7
Old 09-25-2008, 06:29 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

i've never had any trouble with my diffs and i've landed many a time on power one one wheel then bounced around, going on and off power, and no failure here, maybe your carrier bearings are seiezed that happened to me once, but thats really odd

the lug
Old 09-25-2008, 06:30 PM
HPI_Savage_RC

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: HPI_Savage_RC

Oh yeah! I love the Cenchain (CEN) GST/Genesis/Nemesis diffs! They are thicker teeth and definitely tougher, but I have never taken the risk of trying to find out if the teeth wil strip when landing while gassing or braking. Too bad that all the Ebay chop shops charge an arm and leg for them; then never even offer a buy-out option so you have to bid-fight for them
An auction with a buy it now option will occasionally surface. I won a GST7.7 diff for $16, then found a buy it now auction for another offered by the same seller for $29. I've seen them go for cheaper, but $45 for 2 is pretty good, and I would have ended up paying an extra shipping cost if I waited around for another extremely good deal, which would offset any savings. There are 3 buy it now auctions on eBay right now. 2 of them are $55 each (Ouch), and another is $30.

I don't think the CEN ring and pinion teeth would fail in the case of a WOT landing. You would most likely break less durable drivetrain parts, such as the screw pins that attach the transmission output cups to the final drive gear shaft, or dogbones if you are running the stock pieces.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:49 AM
cheiro

Have you tried to shim the bearings on the diff so that the crown gear is forced against the bevel gear.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:26 AM
osuwins

what savy and motor are you busting diffs in, lets see a pic. of your setup, 40 series tires and rims are big and heavy your drivetrain may not be able to handle a dead stop to a wot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.