Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Thinking About getting back in

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 10:49 PM
ICE_MAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking About getting back in

I've been out of Nitro monsters for a while, but recently have really been wanting to get back in. All I've ever owned as far as monsters were Savages (dating all the way back a, then, backordered Savage 21). I've done my research ( I think) and know some from experience about what the savage will need right out of the box. So far I gather the XL needs:

1.) Brakes, I was planning to upgrade to the dual stainless steel as seen on tower.

2.) Uprights and C-hubs, which I was planning to replace with HPI alum. units but don't know if I want to do purple again as all my others have had purple goodies. Does anyone else make these?

3.) Differentials: I know the CEN fix, but do you just need the ring and pinion or what? I planned on going with alum. cases if I could find some.

4.) Steering servo, replaced with Hitec Digi, then move orig. steering to throttle/brake.

5.) Clutch, Probably would like to do something about the clutch, as all my other savages have needed upgraded clutches sooner rather than later.

6.) Turnbuckles and Rod ends: Haven't really seen problem reports, but personal preference for a tighter set-up and less tweaking in a bad landing.

Can you guys think of anything else that NEEDS to be upgraded before I bash this thing (when I get one), or can you recommend any alternatives to the above listed?
Old 10-06-2008, 12:04 AM
roccos_van
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thinking About getting back in

ORIGINAL: ICE_MAN

I've been out of Nitro monsters for a while, but recently have really been wanting to get back in. All I've ever owned as far as monsters were Savages (dating all the way back a, then, backordered Savage 21). I've done my research ( I think) and know some from experience about what the savage will need right out of the box. So far I gather the XL needs:

1.) Brakes, I was planning to upgrade to the dual stainless steel as seen on tower.

2.) Uprights and C-hubs, which I was planning to replace with HPI alum. units but don't know if I want to do purple again as all my others have had purple goodies. Does anyone else make these?

3.) Differentials: I know the CEN fix, but do you just need the ring and pinion or what? I planned on going with alum. cases if I could find some.

4.) Steering servo, replaced with Hitec Digi, then move orig. steering to throttle/brake.

5.) Clutch, Probably would like to do something about the clutch, as all my other savages have needed upgraded clutches sooner rather than later.

6.) Turnbuckles and Rod ends: Haven't really seen problem reports, but personal preference for a tighter set-up and less tweaking in a bad landing.

Can you guys think of anything else that NEEDS to be upgraded before I bash this thing (when I get one), or can you recommend any alternatives to the above listed?
I, like you recently got back into nitro MT. I've owned a .15 maxx back in the day, then a .21 Savage, then pimped out an SS with a wasp .26. I purchase an XL about two weeks ago and have driven it quite a bit. I'm not the most versed expert here, so i'm sure more exerienced tuners will chime in but this is my opinion, the XL is a fantastic truck stock, some of the things you mentioned it does not need at all. I'll go through your questions one by one and give you my opinion on them.

1.) Brakes, I was planning to upgrade to the dual stainless steel as seen on tower. - The stock fiber dual setup is really good. I have put the dual stainless on and yeah it's a bit better but you don't need to do this unless you wear out the stockers. If you want really good brakes do the ofna throttle mod. http://www.savagehowto.com/?page_id=19.

2.) Uprights and C-hubs, which I was planning to replace with HPI alum. units but don't know if I want to do purple again as all my others have had purple goodies. Does anyone else make these? - I think you can get these from various places, but i think XL uprights may be different. I don't think alum. is necessary but some like it.

3.) Differentials: I know the CEN fix, but do you just need the ring and pinion or what? I planned on going with alum. cases if I could find some. - The stock diffs are aluminum with 4 spider gears and are shimmed, they do not need an upgrade as far as i know.

4.) Steering servo, replaced with Hitec Digi, then move orig. steering to throttle/brake. - Yup, i put in a hitec 5985 and moved the stock steering servo, while you're at it, get some bearing for the stock steering posts.

5.) Clutch, Probably would like to do something about the clutch, as all my other savages have needed upgraded clutches sooner rather than later. - The stock clutch is a 3 shoe alum. racing style clutch, and also the XL has a vented clutchbell. This is good stuff so you don't need to upgrade here either.

6.) Turnbuckles and Rod ends: Haven't really seen problem reports, but personal preference for a tighter set-up and less tweaking in a bad landing. - I was going to get ti turns and such but the stock replacement stuff is so cheap you can get the stock stuff 4x over and still be cheaper than the ti stuff, plus i've not bent any turnbuckles yet, it will take years for them to pay for themselves IMO.

If i may, the best upgrade i did was to get a spektrum remote. It's something i would recommend to anyone.

Good luck with your new XL!