Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Picco engines

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 12:17 AM
BudBud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Picco engines

Sort of a compression booster when it gets a little tired, ehhh Dennis?
Old 02-11-2009, 12:46 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: BudBud

Not in my Savage, but a stock Picco P3 28 with the thin shim out on 30 percent Trinity Monster Horsepower. [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSTb_EQsqV8]linky[/link] I think the JP-2 pipe takes some top end away. Glen

Here is a video of my MBX5T with my very first modified Picco 28... I am running a JP-2 and a 15th bell, I am also running Mulcher tires on green grass...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...77112039&hl=en
Old 02-11-2009, 12:56 AM
BudBud

I remember watching that video before, several times, that is just insane! Picco power races on.... [8D]
Old 02-11-2009, 01:03 AM
fullyford

that thing is rippin hard, i like how the front tire instantly balloon up
Old 02-11-2009, 04:34 AM
BigGrump

Here is a video of my MBX5T with my very first modified Picco 28... I am running a JP-2 and a 15th bell, I am also running Mulcher tires on green grass...
That is exactly how my stock Picco works in my truggy, except mine takes about twice as far to get "up on the pipe" and doesn't balloon the front tires until about 2/3 through the rpm's and I am running a 14 tooth clutch bell.

Your engine is about 30% more than mine. Good work.

Dennis
Old 02-11-2009, 07:38 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

I have no problem getting my Picco up to temperature. Only takes a couple high speed passes. It runs just about as good cold as when up to temperature. I have over a gallon on mine. If everything works out hope to take it to a new track this Saturday. Not sure if I will get there in time to race but hope to makes some laps. Will be the first time in all most 11 months since I have been to a track.[X(]
Old 02-11-2009, 08:29 PM
BigGrump

I have no problem getting my Picco up to temperature. Only takes a couple high speed passes. It runs just about as good cold as when up to temperature.
I may be just slightly rich, but I don't think so for it's stage in life. I have not tried this yet, but after it starts running more freely it is at 1/2 tank, next time I will fill up then and see if it is a rich condition, or heat soaking as my theory is now.

Anyway, I have no complaints at all abut the overall performance of the stock Picco. Just takes a long, long time to loosen up, especially while I am using O'Donnells. My oldest Picco, the .26 Outlaw, still has some pinch and could not run better, and it is at least 5 years old and has seen pleanty of use. That is one engine I hope lasts for a long time, as it is so good.

Dennis
Old 02-11-2009, 08:36 PM
BudBud

I have a 26 Outlaw that should get some kind of tuff stuff award... I bought it used and who knows what all I have put it through.... cars, trucks, monster trucks.... it owes me nothing, but it still runs hard.....
Old 02-11-2009, 08:41 PM
46u

If you think a Picco is tight you need to break in a STS. I have had five STS and all of them did not start loosing up till at least 1 1/2 gallons except the 3 port 28 as it did not have the pinch the others had. The other four where .21 in my buggies. I am still running my Picco a little rich. Now when I started breaking it in I had problems getting it up to temperature when it was pig rich. I get no less then 8 to 11 gallons out of my engines even all but one of my STS engines. Matter of fact my stock K 4.6 has well over 9 gallons and when I took it out was running great and all the parts are original.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:19 PM
BigGrump

I am still running my Picco a little rich

I am anxious for you to write a complete review of the Picco P3, which you said (a while back) you would do.

I also have had several STS engines, two .28's and two .30's. All have been good to me.

All my STS's also had prolonged break-in's but different than the Picco. With my STS's, when they were under the gallon mark and sometimes even more, there would be a rapid temp spike at high rpm's when they were not ready for it. I could always tell when they were broken in when I could wring it out and temps would stay stable.

Never ever had anything break on an STS.

Dennis
Old 02-12-2009, 02:52 AM
fabrimacator21

When is it safe to start tuning a for power? I've got about a 1/2 gallon on my p3 and am still running rich. Still seems like it's pretty tight because even in 40 degree weather I'm hitting 250 running pretty rich with the body on.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:09 AM
BigGrump

I am seeing temps of 202 to 225 F running around on easy stuff (short grass or asphalt) with ambient temps of 65 F.

I notice the temps change quite a bit from small changes in the low speed needle. Naturally the high speed needle too. I really believe the guide should be to simply tune to good running of the engine, without any excessive temps and maintaining smoke trail.

If the engine sounds like it is running good, and actually does, then I stop leaning for any higher performance. As the engine allows, you can tell when to lean further. While that is what I believe is correct to do, I have a real hard time keeping my hands off at that point..

So, after that, I go ahead and fool with tuning, and try to remember when things go badly, it is my fault for not just leaving it alone and giving the engine time to wear in.

But, this is a hobbly, so why not.

Dennis
Old 02-12-2009, 12:30 PM
BudBud

I cannot tell that 260 to 280 hurts a thing, they do run cooler as the pinch goes down. You are correct though, as long as you only dial in enough low end to blow the tires away, or stand the truck up, it makes it run a lot cooler and easier to drive. I find that the temperaturs just dive on idle, they cool down in a big hurry.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:54 PM
3-172IN MTN

I got a used picco 27 in the mail yesterday but did not discover the delivery until this morning. The add said it needed a piston but I also noticed that the guy who sold it busted a screw off in the block.

I am currently winning a new piston and sleeve on the bay and hope that I can get a block for it as well.

We will see what happens.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:58 PM
3-172IN MTN

Made a mistake somehow.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:47 PM
46u

ORIGINAL: BigGrump

I am still running my Picco a little rich

I am anxious for you to write a complete review of the Picco P3, which you said (a while back) you would do.

I also have had several STS engines, two .28's and two .30's. All have been good to me.

All my STS's also had prolonged break-in's but different than the Picco. With my STS's, when they were under the gallon mark and sometimes even more, there would be a rapid temp spike at high rpm's when they were not ready for it. I could always tell when they were broken in when I could wring it out and temps would stay stable.

Never ever had anything break on an STS.

Dennis
I will give my full opinion once it is broke in where I can remove a shim and tune for top performance. I am not overly impressed with it right now but neither was I with any of my STS engines at a gallon. I will say it is snappy and has good power.

My Picco is running around 260 and have my warning buzzer on my TX set at 280 and it has hit it once or twice. I am mostly running not in tall grass but grass that could stand to be cut. I see temperatures going up when ever running on grass no matter what engine I run. I do not worry about temperatures under 280 and on some engines even a little more.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:05 PM
me68

I just got a boat with a older picco p90 in it and i have no idea how to tune it if anyone can give me any advice i would be very great full thank you
Old 02-12-2009, 09:47 PM
driller2948

PICCO .26 OMEGA X3 Who know anything about this mill?
Old 02-13-2009, 01:09 PM
gelwalk

whats the difference between the picco .28 pst and the picco .28 turbo non pst , hp,rpm,torque,longevity which one is the better one?
Old 02-13-2009, 01:10 PM
fabrimacator21

Basically just a turbo button head and the absence of a P/S.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:49 PM
BudBud

The turbo engines do seem to have a little more timing, a little higher rpm band. [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSTb_EQsqV8]Stock turbo P3 28[/link] and a [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ_QuBQ68TE]stock Picco pull start[/link], while they are very similar, I think the bump engines have their power at a little higher rpm. I am sure the pistons and sleeves are the same, bore and stroke is the same, other than the turbo button, it has to be crank timing. Glen
Old 02-13-2009, 11:22 PM
fabrimacator21

Glen,

When is it time to remove a shim? I have about 3/4 of a gallon on the p3 .28 now but it's been rich running to keep the temps down (tranny wouldn't shift into second causing high temps). I keep hearing 1 gallon but do you need to check pinch or is it just 1 gallon and pull a shim? It's still pushing the sleeve out of the block and is very tight. I'm currently running 20% Blue thunder but am considering switching to 25% Backyard basher.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:36 PM
BudBud

I normally remove them when the engine turns past top dead center with very little friction. It does not take long to reverse if you run into heat or tuning issues. Glen

Edited to add that you check this with the glow plug out, if it is trunig freely, the pinch has been beat down and the engine is ready to rip. ....
Old 02-14-2009, 12:24 AM
fabrimacator21

[sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 02-14-2009, 07:12 PM
BudBud

I got a new Picco 28 in today and the carb issue is still alive. This is a pull start engine with the new style carb. The carb body is not sealing against the inner sleeve. I applied a couple of coats of CA glue and have it sealed, whether that is a permanent fix or not, only time will tell. I was really hoping this issue was behind us.

This is an old photo of an Orion 26 and not the new carburetor, but unfortunately, the issue is the same.

I do both ends of the slide sleeve, this new one was leaking as bad as any I have run across. [&:][:@] I was really hoping that they had stepped up and stopped this issue. Glen

edited for spelling issues... I am good at those...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.