Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Picco engines

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 05:57 PM
speed lover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Picco engines

Oh forgot to ask my Cen genesis .46 engine keeps blowing glow plugs at full throttle they only last about 1/4 of a tank what could be wrong with it I have put a one way valve in about 1/2 way down the fuel line but that did not work and tried loads of plugs and checked for an air leak but nothing any ideas.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:50 PM
BudBud

Normally that is a too lean condition, could be any number of things causing it. Quick dying glow plugs can also be from detonation. Pull the heat sink and button, check to see of the piston is still shiny...
Old 07-10-2009, 04:49 PM
speed lover

It is quite an old engine and the plug last long enough to tune the engine which is a piece of cake compared to every other engine. But the last time the engine was taken upto half throttle then backing off after tunning but then when I went to full throttle lots of smoke then the plug went. The piston is golden and black.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:50 PM
fullyford

ORIGINAL: driller2948

ORIGINAL: -SomeGuy-

ORIGINAL: fullyford

anyone else running the picco .26 having problems with there one way bearing cracking on them. once the housing is cracked they don't bit enough under compression to start the engine anymore. just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if or what there solution was.....
The 26 uses the same bearing as the 27 and yes it happened to me quite often. Im betting that the crack runs right in the notch for the crankshaft and to me that is where the problem is because the notches are square. They fixed this on the 28 by making the notches round therefor eliminating the weak point. Thing is the flange is wider on the 28 bearing so it wont fit in the 26 27 engines.

My solution for this was to place a 27 and a 28 bearing back to back on a one way shaft and with a bench grinder carefully remove the excess material. A little smoothing down and its a perfect fit. Im hoping this will be a permanent fix but considering I've never had problems with the bearing in my 28 Im pretty confident.

I found a better solution[img][/img] The one way bearing from the 28 will not fit the 26 or 27 without modification. They use the same bearing. But the 28 backplate will fit both the 26 & 27 allowing the use of the 28 bearing [img][/img]
thats great news..you wouldn't happen to have a part number for that back plate would yeah.
i believe the bearing number is 51542
Old 07-21-2009, 04:01 PM
driller2948

AMain
Back Plate $22.99 OFN51541
One way bearing $27.99 OFN51542
Old 02-19-2010, 11:04 PM
jsflagstad

So what is the hot engine for the Savage now? Still the Picco 28? Supertib still modding them?
Old 02-19-2010, 11:20 PM
BudBud

I would say yes on both counts. Picco has made some carb improvements and Supertib is still making killer power. The LRP 30 has gained a pretty good following for the Savage. It is a funny deal, I really like the 30 in my XL but the one I put in my Mugen is a turd.... and it is the higher rated bump engine. I think it is mainly because the Savage is a power hog in the drive train compared to the Mugen. At any rate, an LRP 30 in a Mugen is ohh hummm boring after running Piccos. I still like the one in my XL, but I will quickly tell you it is not as fast speed wise as the Picco 28. Glen
Old 02-20-2010, 08:23 AM
jsflagstad

Cool, Thanks for the update. So I will have to look for a "Newer" Picco 28 I see to get the carb updates... How does one know he is getting the one with the updates?
Old 02-20-2010, 09:26 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have fully modded Picco 28's for $275.00 and they are the newest model with the updated carb and cooling head.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:43 AM
hypnotiq

I love my picco in my savage.. the only thing i hate it is the pullcord... Gone threw 2 of them and NO i dont start it like a lawnmower.. lol
Old 03-02-2010, 12:17 PM
-SomeGuy-

Can you post some pics without the shell?
Old 03-02-2010, 12:28 PM
hypnotiq

my build http://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums...ad.php?t=12944

If the links not allowed please just remove it [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 03-02-2010, 01:14 PM
BudBud

ORIGINAL: speed lover

Well you won't believe it after my Picco getting all that dirt through it I got the Falcon r2 .28 /ninja mr .28. And after about a gllon and a half it was going like stink unbelievable revs and power. But I hit a rock sticking out the ground which ripped the battery off and the car got stuck on full throttle hit a bush that flipped it on it's roof and blew the engine. GUTTED
I got a spear one cheap but I have to say this is getting expensive might go for an O.S 28xz next.
I am not sure how I missed this one, but the OS28ZX will not work in a Savage. It is a fine engine, but it is bump start only. We need a roto or pull start engine. The OS will not survive the kind of abuses you describe either. Clean air is imperative to long life. Running one wide open until it cuts loose is not the engine's fault either. Glen
Old 03-02-2010, 02:02 PM
-SomeGuy-

Nice! I've been wanting to do a mid tank for ever now but just never get around to it. I see you went with the FLM kit. Did you have any trouble getting the parts to fit together? I've heard many complaints about FLM with that issue.

If your having trouble starting it with the PS you might want to look at your tuning, or maybe the break in is not done yet? A broken in engine that is well tuned should start within a few pulls after being primed.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:18 PM
hypnotiq

Nice! I've been wanting to do a mid tank for ever now but just never get around to it. I see you went with the FLM kit. Did you have any trouble getting the parts to fit together? I've heard many complaints about FLM with that issue.

If your having trouble starting it with the PS you might want to look at your tuning, or maybe the break in is not done yet? A broken in engine that is well tuned should start within a few pulls after being primed.

LOL.. im all broke in and tuned.. running 30% with a MC8 plug.. things a beast.. i just hate the brittle cord. FLM has been real good to me.. no issues AT ALL. I had built that black savage build and feel in love with FLM.. now i have moved on to FLM Flux.. I love it..
http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/9099/imgp0051i.jpg
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/9845/imgp0052.jpg
Old 03-02-2010, 02:31 PM
supertib

ORIGINAL: hypnotiq

LOL.. im all broke in and tuned.. running 30% with a MC8 plug.. things a beast.. i just hate the brittle cord. FLM has been real good to me.. no issues AT ALL. I had built that black savage build and feel in love with FLM.. now i have moved on to FLM Flux.. I love it..

how much fuel is thru your 28 ?
Old 03-02-2010, 03:05 PM
hypnotiq

ORIGINAL: supertib

about 2 gallons... you bout to tell me it isn't broke in yet? LOL
Old 03-02-2010, 07:51 PM
-SomeGuy-

2 gallons is the max a picco would take to break in. You shouldnt have any more problems with your PS. If you can heat up the head before starting it it will make life easier on the string.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:03 PM
Bayer-Z28

Jeebus! It'll take me a while to get thru this thread.. Shoulda just named it "Picco pRon" haha!
Old 03-03-2010, 10:11 AM
supertib

No i just asked how many gallons thru it......if you said 10 tanks I would have told you it wasn't broken in...usually Picco 28's take about 2 gallons to fully breakin...

so the issue is not breakin, the issue is you dont know how to properly start an engine using a pullstart !
Old 03-03-2010, 11:27 AM
hypnotiq

No i just asked how many gallons thru it......if you said 10 tanks I would have told you it wasn't broken in...usually Picco 28's take about 2 gallons to fully breakin...

so the issue is not breakin, the issue is you dont know how to properly start an engine using a pullstart !
Its not an issue.. your making it one. I didn't come here to ask for help i just said that's the only thing i hate about it. Dont let the post count fool you.. i know what im doing and have no issues handling that picco. I figured this forum would have "smart ares" like you on it. Work on your people skills and maybe you'll get more business..
Old 03-03-2010, 11:54 AM
savagenitroflux

Its not an issue.. your making it one. I didn't come here to ask for help i just said that's the only thing i hate about it. Dont let the post count fool you.. i know what im doing and have no issues handling that picco. I figured this forum would have ''smart ares'' like you on it. Work on your people skills and maybe you'll get more business..
Wowzers hypnotiq, only been here for 8 posts and you already got Neal pegged, lolz.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:55 AM
supertib

ORIGINAL: savagenitroflux

Its not an issue.. your making it one. I didn't come here to ask for help i just said that's the only thing i hate about it. Dont let the post count fool you.. i know what im doing and have no issues handling that picco. I figured this forum would have ''smart ares'' like you on it. Work on your people skills and maybe you'll get more business..
Wowzers hypnotiq, only been here for 8 posts and you already got Neal pegged, lolz.

LOL ! its like he already knew who I was !
Old 03-03-2010, 11:58 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Wow dude. Skip English class much?
no issues handling that picco
Lot of other people have no issues handling it. Including not breaking pullstarts. Shouldn't you be under a bridge somewhere, harassing billy goats?
Old 03-03-2010, 12:04 PM
hypnotiq

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

Wow dude. Skip English class much?
no issues handling that picco
Lot of other people have no issues handling it. Including not breaking pullstarts. Shouldn't you be under a bridge somewhere, harassing billy goats?
Wow.. all of a sudden it went to spell check huh.. Well seeing that we have people like you on here guess you can go and point out all the errors since you have nothing better to do with your time.. Who the hell was talking to you anyway? Did i quote you? NO! Did i ask you to come on here "Spell checking"? NO! So next time.. do speak unless spoken to.. M'k Now go swing off supertits junk.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.