Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Best Alloy upgrade...

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 03:33 AM
5AVAG3
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Alloy upgrade...

Please give me a list, as my savage breaks too much.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:56 AM
pythonfan
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Best Alloy upgrade...

diff cups, shocks. that's about it...

if your arms are braking upgrade to rpm arms, other then that leave it stock.

with alum, its gonna be a chasing the weak point type of thing.... say you get alum arms, then the weak point will be the bulk head so you upgrade there, then the point gets moved to the shock tower, upgrade that, your gonna be chasing it till you have a 99% alum slug that is now a shelf queen that you can't run and if you do, since the alum won't snap under load it will bend its gonna cost your triple to fix...

best bet on things i would upgrade are, nova diff cups, cen diff gears, rpm arms, rpm skid, Lunsford Combo Kit Savage, engine mount, engine plate, upgrade to the ofna throttle mod, and maybe just maybe alum knuckles.

but that's just me..
Old 11-15-2008, 07:02 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

rear turnbuckle eliminators from Integy are nice..(but nothing else from Integy!!...)
Old 11-15-2008, 10:10 AM
Parputt537

ORIGINAL: 5AVAG3

Please give me a list, as my savage breaks too much.
If you put aluminum parts instead of plastic it will break much more. Plastic will bend when stressed and snap back to shape. Aluminum will bend and stay bent. As stated above the only good aluminum part for the savage is the Integy rear turn buckle eliminators. Other than that stick with stock plastic. You can get a ton of replacement A arms of eBay for under 20.00 bucks. If you are bashing hard (like you should be) broken parts are a part of the game.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:45 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

I have beat the hick out of my Savage and broke VERY little. Could it possibly be the driver? Most alloy parts are a waste of money and like others said will only pass the breakage to the next weakest point. All so it is HEAVY.

What are you breaking?
Old 11-15-2008, 12:30 PM
HPI_Savage_RC

Integy aluminum rear carriers are NOT a good "upgrade"! No Integy part is. I've seen many of those carriers with massive amounts of slop due to prematurely worn out hing pin seats, and knowing Integy's butter soft aluminum alloy (lower yield strength than the stock parts), they will not hold up to bashing.

Anyway, the only aluminum on my truck consists of a few custom parts, and upgraded versions of parts that were already aluminum. The plastic durability of the Savage is unmatched. Tell me exactly what you are breaking, and I will give you some recommendations.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:49 PM
46u

ORIGINAL: HPI_Savage_RC

Integy aluminum rear carriers are NOT a good "upgrade"! No Integy part is. I've seen many of those carriers with massive amounts of slop due to prematurely worn out hing pin seats, and knowing Integy's butter soft aluminum alloy (lower yield strength than the stock parts), they will not hold up to bashing.

++++1
Old 11-15-2008, 01:25 PM
Van Pelt

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

rear turnbuckle eliminators from Integy are nice..(but nothing else from Integy!!...)
I agree based on my own personal experience. I have them on one of my Savages. They have about 2 gallons on them and NO issues. Our Savages are not shelf queens.... we run them hard.

Sounds like other people haven't had the same luck.

That's the only aluminum part on my trucks. At one time I had the aluminum a-arms on my son's truck. He would break the wierdest things.. (bend TVP's, crack bulkheads, etc.). Switched back to the stock arms and the breakage stopped. The factory parts allow for alot more flexing and adsorb the shock of the beatings we put on them.

Jon.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:59 PM
rclugnut10

^^^+1, idk about you guys, but i've broken very little, and imo when i get this to the track i wail on it, WOT off a 10ft up 15-20 ft forward jump, it has a screwy lip that i mess up a lot (tho i'm getting better) and i've landed so many odd ways, on and off power, mostly off camber 1 wheel usually, bumpers, roof, engine, all are pretty beat up but no breakage just scratches, so it depends on what you're breaking, the only thing stronger/better than stock is RPM, so idk what you're breaking/ how but something soulds fishy..

the lug
Old 11-15-2008, 05:40 PM
5AVAG3
Banned

So..are you guys basically saying .....do not install any metal or alloy after market products on your vehicles...as they are heavy, expensive to replace and bends...

I might just try those integy rear hubs though......

Please correct me if I'm wrong.....

I'm not breaking arms,

just my HEAD SINK, suspension caps, and fuel tank actually, ruins my day every time.

Old 11-15-2008, 05:56 PM
rclugnut10

what oil are you running in your shocks?? assuming they're stock

the lug
Old 11-15-2008, 06:04 PM
46u

Most of what I have that is alloy is not for more strength but for handling. Like the HPI suspension conversion and HPI big bore shocks. The one thing I do recommend alloy is a good set of clutch shoes. My HPI suspension conversion comes with the rear hubs like Integy but much better alloy. What truck are you running and you are not running the engine guard like comes with the X?
Old 11-15-2008, 06:20 PM
pythonfan

fuel tank is really nothing you can do about that unless you upgrade to a side tank mount of a smaller tank....

the shock caps, could be a few things, oil being one of them.....

and run the X roll cage or look into a older style savage roll bar that's about it, you really can't protect the head of the motor, there are a few trick you could do...

put zip ties on the first fin, or line them with fuel tubing and that will help your head from being scratched, really that's what the body of these cars is for is to keep that from getting damaged and keeping the elements out...

my earlier post, those were things i would do, but i have yet to brake anything on the savage but a fuel tank and cen shocks i put on the savage....
Old 11-15-2008, 06:25 PM
rclugnut10

i put a hole in my tank once cuz a rock hit it, but it was odd cuz it was real close to the engine, tho i was upside down at the time, good thing i was coming in for a refill... bad thing, no more savvy today...

for the head the X roll bar and spacer, as well as run your body a bit higher, i know i like mine real low and i got a bent fin cuz of that...

the lug
Old 11-15-2008, 07:15 PM
HPI_Savage_RC

Get an Ofna 125cc tank and tank guard. The smaller tank mounts out of the reach of the upper shock bolts (Cause of 90% of tank failures in my experience), and the guard protects it from damage from rocks and other debris.

Heat sinks... How are you breaking them if you are running a Nylon cage?

Shock caps blow off when the oil is too viscous, or the shocks are overfilled with oil. Don't use anything over 30wt oil, and fill the shocks to about 80% of their capacity. They are not designed to be run oil free.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:16 PM
46u

My Savage started life as a 4.6SS and the older roll bar does nothing for saving the head. Matter of fact the HPI LCG chassis I run came with the old style roll bar and I modified the X roll bar and engine guard to fit. works real well. Coarse with my HPI LCG chassis my engine, fuel tank and transmission sits 7mm lower then on an X.

They do make a fuel tank guard that helps protect the fuel tank.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:33 PM
5AVAG3
Banned

lol....That is why I built them...just wanted to see, how the other fellas would solve that problem...

I'm already running CEN diff, Integy rear hubs, HPI bigbores, hardened outdrives, drive cups, hardened dogbones, hardened CB, Hardened spur.....

So what you guys think of these....? Non alloy, Non metal rollcage....

Old 11-15-2008, 11:01 PM
pythonfan

and you wonder why mods delete your posts.....
Old 11-15-2008, 11:07 PM
46u

What has he done that is so wrong? I am surprised to see 5AVAG3 here with what he posted on SC but glade to have you here.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:42 AM
HPI_Savage_RC

Cage is the best I have ever seen for a stock chassis.

I figured this thread might be a test for the members of this forum. Nice thinking.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:58 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

You know, I've never broken a fuel tank

Plenty o' fuel tank mounts though!
Old 11-16-2008, 01:51 AM
SAVAGEJIM

I busted a fuel tank or two in all my Savage bashing months. I slammed it sideways into a curb, that goot the tank

I also botch a jump when I half-@$$3d a jump abort (I was alerady half-way up teh ramp when I realized I needed to abort teh jump),. The Savage puttered up the edge of teh ramp from sheer momentum and whet at teh top, the nose poited straigt in the air and it fell staight on its @$$. The force pushed the rear bumper and collapsed it all teh way to teh reay shock tower, the rear shock tower was pressed into the tank, and it was the shock mount screw that pierced the tank

Lots of fun...good times
Old 11-16-2008, 01:56 AM
46u

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

I busted a fuel tank or two in all my Savage bashing months. I slammed it sideways into a curb, that goot the tank

I also botch a jump when I half-@$$3d a jump abort (I was alerady half-way up teh ramp when I realized I needed to abort teh jump),. The Savage puttered up the edge of teh ramp from sheer momentum and whet at teh top, the nose poited straigt in the air and it fell staight on its @$$. The force pushed the rear bumper and collapsed it all teh way to teh reay shock tower, the rear shock tower was pressed into the tank, and it was the shock mount screw that pierced the tank

Lots of fun...good times
You can tell when people are getting tired by there post. LOL As far as the shock bolt busting the tank I am glade some one told me to turn it around do to this problem. I have yet busted a fuel tank.