Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

savage 25 limited edition?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 05:23 PM
rider12693

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default savage 25 limited edition?

There is a brand new savage 25 limited edition, the one with the 3-speed, on ebay that I was looking at getting. I was planning to get the savage x ss and sell the motor and get a lrp. If I were to get the 25 I will probaly sell the motor and get a lrp and I just have a couple questions about which truck would be best to besh with.

1. Is the 25 as good if not better then the savage x ss
2. Can it handle the power of the lrp
3. Does any of the savage x 4.6 parts and accessories fit on it
4. Should I get the 25 or the x ss
5. Is anything else needed like a radio or servos
Old 12-11-2008, 06:07 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: savage 25 limited edition?

i'ld get the X ss, its a better truck, yeah the limited has the 3 speed but thats about all it boasts over the X, i don't think people really understand the significant differences between the 25 and X, the x is worth it for sure, i was looking at the old instuctions to get to the diffs must've been murder, its like 6 screws now its soo nice, (8 for the turnbuckes in the rear....)

the lug
Old 12-11-2008, 06:13 PM
BudBud

All of the parts are interchangeable. The three speed gave the 25 pretty decent performance, as it does in the newer 5.9 trucks. The 25 plates are a little higher center of gravity and look tougher, I think... anyway, the X plates are lower and the trucks seem to handle better. You can definitely wheelie easier with the 25 lates, it just rocks on back and rips them off. I am not sure when the four gear metal differentials came in, but you can pick them up cheap enough on Ebay. I think the early three speed trucks like the LE had a standard third gear and the newer ones are an over drive. That never really bugged me though, since there are so many spur and bell combinations. Either truck should stand up to the LRP quite well. If you find yourself with a broken differential, the four gears can usually be bought shipped for around 25 dollars. The X has the newer easy access differentials, but some of us think the old style case was stronger. I really prefer the way the 25 holds the hinge pins on over the X. In fact, I have the XL differentials in the old style housings on two of my XLs now. The bumpers and shock towers are specific to the X and the 25, but you can take the assembly as a whole and mount it on the other chassis. In other words, an X bumper will not work with the 25 shock tower. All that typing and I doubt I helped you a bit. They are both great trucks. Glen
Old 12-11-2008, 06:27 PM
MadManAndrew

ORIGINAL: BudBud
All that typing and I doubt I helped you a bit.
if he bothers to read it all, it'll help him alot in his decision...
Old 12-12-2008, 02:36 PM
rider12693

So what truck would I be better off with?
Old 12-12-2008, 03:49 PM
newpat

obviously he didnt read it all
Old 12-12-2008, 03:55 PM
rider12693

I did read it but it is hard to understand.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:38 PM
BudBud

They are both great trucks, I would buy the X RTR if I were to buy one, but that is personal preference. If I bought the SS, I would sell the engine and buy an LRP or F4.6. I like the lower center of gravity. We all have diiferent driving styles and preferences. Glen
Old 12-12-2008, 09:52 PM
5AVAG3
Banned

Go the XL it's more upgraded if you can. Otherwise the X I have all three.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:58 PM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw that LE on ebay. Up until last year, Stormer Hobbies was still selling them new.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:14 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IMHO the 25 LE is an awesome truck - but the older 25 series diffs didn't stand up to bigger engines too well. Even newer X-gen ones don't.

For that reason - though the 25 LE is a great truck, I would prob get the X SS. Easy access is what it all comes down to..

If you were to leave the 25 LE stock, you could run it probably for 4-5 gallons without problems - then it'd be time to upgrade probably t at least the engine. Since you'd in all likelihood be getting a bigger one, you'd want to change to the X-gen diff setup. To do that, you need the X shock towers, bumpers, skid-plates, etc.. Still, it's doable - and not all that expensive given the chop-shops, etc..

So it all depends on your budget I guess - if you're really tight and just want something to bash with right away, get the LE cuz it's RTR.. With the XSS you need servos, etc.. - so it'll cost more, assuming you get anything decent..

Some people don't like to hear me say it, but it's also my opinion that the older pre-X Savages have better-quality plastic. At least that's my experience...

Just my $.02..

Get what your get says to...
Old 12-14-2008, 02:23 PM
black mamba

The platics are better. I'm still running all of the orginals on my S25. The arms are getting a little sloppy around the hinge pins, but still.........they're just about 5 years old so that's OK.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:55 PM
rcnitrohead

With the X shim kit, the 25 series diffs will stand up to all the abuse I dish out. I do side wheelies 24/7 with my STS .30 screaming at full RPM's, nothing has blown yet. They are not as weak as HerrSavage says they are, mybe if all you are running are the oldest 2 gear diffs with plastic cups you will rip them, but not the updated ones.

Tom.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:52 PM
hydroboy
My Feedback: (1)

I've been out of the game for over a year now (built a house) now that I'm getting back into it I thought that the X easy access diff set up would be nice. bought a couple and realized that all the aftermarket aluminium that I've invested in around my differentials has not had any problems since I learned to drive and quit blowing them up. The advantage to the ss hits over the rtr models is the fact that in building them you learn so much more about the truck. I can have the diffs out and back in in about 30 minutes in my old rig and that works well for me.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:55 PM
black mamba

Yeah, one negative part about the non-X Savvys is having to tear the truck apart to access the diffs. Now that I'm spooled, I never have to get into them anymore though.