Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Nothing but problems?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 09:39 PM
Matt (12 year old rc fanatic)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nothing but problems?

Ok so not too long ago i purchased a savagex 4.6 (about 1 month or so ago) and ever since its just been problems one after the other. It seems that i cant even run it on flat land without a problem occurring. The first time i drove it after break in and tuning it stripped out the front diff which was my fault but i cant believe it stripped that easy. It has also gone through about 4 spur gears by now. I checked to make sure that they had the right mesh and they did. I also bent a dogbone on a small 2-3 foot jump. Yesterday it was running great until the antenna ripped off and i cant blame the car because no matter what car it was this could of happened. But then i re-soldered the antenna and went to dive it and the engine would rev but the car wouldnt budge so i first checked the spur gear and came to find that 6 teeth were missing and the spur was all melted the the washer and i could barely get it off. So i replaced it and then i went to tighten all the screws on the truck to make sure it was in running condition but i accidently tightened the 2 speed adjustment screw (my stupidity) and now i cant seem to get it to run right. Long story short i spent a few hours trying to adjust the 2spd and failed miserably so when i went to call it a day the same thing happened as the day before. The damn spur and slipper pad were melted and i used factory settings for the slipper clutch. Please give me any info or tips about anything or how to set up the slipper so the spur doesnt melt because i am deeply disappointed and this thing has been a royal PITA so far.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:54 PM
whipnet

Default RE: Nothing but problems?

I looked and didn't see a question in there. Just a rant.

Sorry you have had so many problems with your Savage. Those trucks are usually rock solid.

Focus on driving better and I think most of those problems will go away. Hope your luck turns around.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:57 PM
3-172IN MTN

I recommend making sure that your mesh is in good shape.

If it is truly melting and not stripping you can get a vented bell and that will reduce heat to your spur.

So, in the long run we have all had spur problems and it usually happens to be a mesh issue.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:19 PM
bzinfinity

You know - I was thinking this morning about all my trucks, and someone at the LHS asked me what I would recommend for the most problem free truck.

Unfortunately, from my personal experience, that has to be the MGT 8.0. Out of all my trucks, it is the only one that has had zero issues out of the box. (Other than ones caused by poor driving).

In 4 tanks, following the incredibly detailed break in instructions, my MGT was a screaming monster.

In 4-5 tanks on the LST2 and HPI following extremely vague and possibly damaging break in instructions, both have had trouble shifting and required extensive tuning to run correctly.

When my MGT was done with factory recommended break in, I had to lean 1/8 on high speed and about 1/16 on low speed.

I'm actually so frustrated with my Savage right now, I'm in a bad love/hate. The truck is sick, but my 2 speed is not engaging properly. I'm sure it's related to the tune, but it's making me angry.

I got spoiled with the MGT. Associated made it SUPER easy to get a truck up and running, and running well.

It almost seems as though HPI was as vague as possible in the manual so you wouldn't be able to push any problems back on them if their "break in" didn't work, or caused damage to the truck.

I guess the most frustrating part is that I can see how freaking cool the LST2 and the Savage are supposed to be, and even in 1/2 functionality, they are better than my MGT in most aspects.

But the MGT starts every time, shifts every time, tunes easily, runs like a champ, takes big hits and has cheap replacement parts. It's been a tough trade off lately to haul the Savage and the LST2 to the field and devote time to them when I know I'm going to be let down.

/rant off
Old 12-28-2008, 10:30 PM
3-172IN MTN

I guess I am the lucky one as I have never had any issues that were not self inflicted since I bought my savage x. I have stripped a few spurs but I am sure that it is because of my mesh. I figured that out got a steel Spur and went to town. [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bcruuvH8UM]This is a little link to show my savvy running.[/link] I think most issues come from operator headspace and timing..
Old 12-28-2008, 10:47 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Are you running the stock composite clutch shoes? If so get some good alloy shoes. The ONLY spur I had a problem with was when I was breaking mine in and the POOR stock composite shoes slipped so bad it melted my spur as the CB got hotter then my engine. Have not had a problem with a plastic spur since and have some with MANY gallons on them. Yes a HPI Race CB is a good idea since it is vented to help keep the clutch cool. I run my slipper tighten all the way down. Being I run a 2.4GHz radio my antenna does not even stick out of the body.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:53 PM

Yes i am running the stock composite clutch shoes. What would you recommend for some alloy shoes?
Yeah im thinking about buying the racing clutch bell. Thanks for all of your help.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:07 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

17t vented clutchbell
Mugen shoes
1.0 springs

Your Savage will rip
Old 12-28-2008, 11:11 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Matt (12 year old rc fanatic)

Yes i am running the stock composite clutch shoes. What would you recommend for some alloy shoes?
Yeah im thinking about buying the racing clutch bell. Thanks for all of your help.
i run these http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPPK8&P=Z but i'ld get some thing like these http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXKKF6&P=SM
or these http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUWJ8&P=Z but the HPI's are really expensive, the itegy ones have been good so far but i have probally 5 tanks on um so not too much time...

the lug
Old 12-28-2008, 11:24 PM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

You started about two years earlier than I did, so you have a decent jump on me! If you stick with it, keep your cool, and have some extra funding, then you will definitely keep on with this hobby. I've been in this hobby for about 5+ years now and have a fully hopped-up on-road car, Savage X 4.6, XL in progress, and am thinking of getting a RS4 EVO+.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:29 PM

Yeah ive been in this hobby for about 3 years now and so far all of my other vehicles seem to have held up better than my savage. Hopefully i will work something out. Rclugnut will the ofna ones fit the savage x?
Old 12-29-2008, 12:31 AM
S.R.G.
My Feedback: (4)

Should have bought a Traxxas Revo!...lmao. I hate your having such issues with you Savage. What temp is it running? Running on gravel?

I ruined several gears by little bits of gravel = sucks.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:38 AM
naynay12

I would change to a hpi hardened spur and clutchbell,and i have not had a problem,and sometimes its been really tight or loose.Or yo8u can tery tightening your slipper clutch all the way or about 1/8 loose thats what alot oif guys here do.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:50 AM
woodwore69

yes the ofna clutchs fit fine
Old 12-29-2008, 10:51 AM
MadManAndrew

get a hardened steel spur gear and it won't melt anymore...Once you have the hardened spur you'll go through clutch bells left and right unless you get a vented racing clutch bell.The vented bells don't strip so easily becuas they're hardened steel and the stock one isn't. While you've got the clutch bell off, I'd recomend replacing your composite clutch shoes with alloy/aluminum ones because you will have soooo much more torque.
About the 2-speed, HOW DO "ACCIDENTALY" TIGHTEN THE SHIFT POINT SCREW? To get to that screw you have to take out the rubber plug, rotate the gear untill you find the screw, stick a tiny screwdriver through the hole, and hope that you hit the screw. I don't see how you did that accidentaly. About the diff gears, I'v never stripped any and I bash my truck pretty hard, but I'v heard of other people doin it, I guess it's just driving skill. but, you just got to let off the throttle when you go down, and you can get some hardened diff gears from some after-market company.

Your Welcome, Andrew
Old 12-29-2008, 10:54 AM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do not buy a steel spur, they are not necessary and will lead to more problems if you don't learn how to mesh the CB and spur properly. Since when has setting a 0.5mm gap become rocket science?
Old 12-29-2008, 11:39 AM

To Andrew, i accidentally screwed it in because i though i was tightening the screw above the set screw but i guess the gear moved and i didn't see that i was tightening the other screw. To nitrohead, i know how to adjust the gear mesh and it was set properly, i think that maybe it had to do that i was running it on grass. To SRG no i was running it on grass and street and i only checked temps when i was in the grass and it was around the 250-270 range after about a little more than 1 tank of fuel.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:22 PM
46u

I run the Nova clutch shoes and very happy with them. I run them not only in my race Savage but all so all my buggies. Last 4 plus gallons on my Savage. All so they are adjustable by adding set screws that add weight. They are on sale now for $12.99.
http://www.novarcproducts.com/clutchshoes.html
Old 12-29-2008, 08:41 PM
jimmmy

I hope your sig lies and you are really 12, not 14. You seem like another ignorant teen that comes on here to rant on how "their" savage/t-maxx/revo is a piece of, well, royal ****. I KNOW WITHOUT LOOKING AT IT that you did not set the spur right. 2nd, if you did set it right, you should have done your research and realized that savage's are notorious for f****ng over their spur gears. 3rd, appreciate your mommy and daddy's investments a little more, especially if they are taking you to the hobby shop every week to get you ****. Moreover, you said that you bent a dogbone over a "small 3 foot jump". Let me put this in perspective for you. Your truck is 1/8 scale, meaning if it was the real thing, it would have to be 8 times bigger, right? That is a 24 ft. high jump with a real car, do you understand why it broke now, tool? Now that you are not as ignorant, try this. The next time you are out working on "your" savage, please invest in some LOCTITE. It is a life-saver and has saved me tons of money. Sorry for coming off as an ass, but I have been in this hobby for some time now (way before i ever registered at this site) and i have seen all kinds of people, from people too old to too young, and unfortunantly, get a job before you have your parents dump all their hard earned money into the savage. Flamesuit on
Old 12-29-2008, 08:52 PM
MadManAndrew

ORIGINAL: jimmmy
Flamesuit on
Nice way to end a post like that
Old 12-29-2008, 09:08 PM
jimmmy

Actually, it is.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:48 PM
S.R.G.
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: jimmmy

I hope your sig lies and you are really 12, not 14. You seem like another ignorant teen that comes on here to rant on how "their" savage/t-maxx/revo is a piece of, well, royal ****. I KNOW WITHOUT LOOKING AT IT that you did not set the spur right. 2nd, if you did set it right, you should have done your research and realized that savage's are notorious for f****ng over their spur gears. 3rd, appreciate your mommy and daddy's investments a little more, especially if they are taking you to the hobby shop every week to get you ****. Moreover, you said that you bent a dogbone over a "small 3 foot jump". Let me put this in perspective for you. Your truck is 1/8 scale, meaning if it was the real thing, it would have to be 8 times bigger, right? That is a 24 ft. high jump with a real car, do you understand why it broke now, tool? Now that you are not as ignorant, try this. The next time you are out working on "your" savage, please invest in some LOCTITE. It is a life-saver and has saved me tons of money. Sorry for coming off as an ass, but I have been in this hobby for some time now (way before i ever registered at this site) and i have seen all kinds of people, from people too old to too young, and unfortunantly, get a job before you have your parents dump all their hard earned money into the savage. Flamesuit on

What a lovely rant. I have to say, you do have a point. Research is an essential part of any hobby. Another key parts is admitting ones mistakes, accepting them, and correcting them. However, YOU jimmy are a prime example for my rant. And here is how it goes. Why do you have to come around as an *****? Do you think it will portray your point better? Do you think that a kid will listen to you better? Do you think that coming around as a grouch is welcoming to anyone? For one, it is people like you, people that shun noobs off, hate on rc beginners, grind them down to a pulp on the forum, and spit them out for the dogs that I bitterly dislike with a passion.

Matt I assume is a beginner/intermediate rc hobbiest. I assume he has made errors, yes. He has hit a snag with his RC, misunderstood it, and made some mistakes, yes. But does that give YOU a right to hate on him? Does that give you a right to say "You idiot, why are you in the hobby!". Does that let you assume whatever you thin is right?

People like YOU jimmy is what sends some people packing, and gives this forum a bad taste. Jimmmy, you could have simple said "Invest in some loctite, it is a valuable in rcs. Try resetting your mess with the gears, checking it for proper meshing, and taking it easy. See how it goes." But no, you basically called him an idiot, said you were and expert and he was nothing, he did not do any research, and he is wasting his parents money. He may be, but he is enjoying the hobby, learning through his mistakes, and is a KID for crying out loud. Kids make mistakes, learn, and grow from them.

Basically what I am trying to say is your post jimmy had a point, but was very rude, crude, and unacceptable. You could have said what you said without being so harsh.

On another note, at the age of 12 I bought my own rcs and electronics, and still do. He may be 12-14, but perhaps he saved up all his money to buy an rc as I did on my first. Look at it like this. You jimmmy are 12. You save up for months to buy that perfect toy, and it is an RC. You love that RC, love the hobby, and want to learn. You accidently break a part, and ask a question on a sometime helpful forum. And an "expert" and/or "oldy" tells you your RC sucks, your an idiot, and you are just a kid that knows nothing. Bet that would make you feel a little bad wouldn't it? If it doesn't, then you are simply a mindless and emotionless person who simply needs to keep his post count low, and preferably at zero.

How was the rant (NOT INTENDED FOR AN ANSWER, no "?" at the end is there!). I am sorry if i spelled "jimmmy" with 2 m's and not 3. I guess you were not creative enough to make a unique username and gave it an extra "m" (assuming things as you do). Flamesuit has met a fire and lost!
Old 12-29-2008, 10:32 PM
jimmmy

Flamesuit, unfortunantly, has not lost, assuming you are referring to me. This kid has to learn VALUES. All i see in his posts are whining and fussing. He is complaing about how his truck keeps failing, and makes the same mistakes time and time again. 4 spur gears, really? Hell, he should have learned his lesson at #2 or for god sakes at least at #3. But it's understandable, people DO make mistakes all the time, ill admit i was in the wrong for criticizing him there. RC10T4 W/MM 7700 and bunch of RPM parts, hopped XTM XT2, Thunder Tiger ST-1, Savage X 4.6. Im assuming the MM 7700 is the 170 dollar brushless system, and the "bunch of RPM parts" is not funded by him, nor are the rest of the things in his sig. He must have been saving because all of the stuff in his sig would equal to over 1200 dollars. Either his parents "helped him ALITTLE" or he gets a 50 dollar allowance every week. Please don't come on here and tell me that i was in the wrong for telling it like it is. Oh, what is the deal with taking a stab at my low post count? Just because i'm out there driving my r/c's or riding quads or doing other things rather than sitting on computer doesn't mean you have room to make fun of me... Also, i took a look at your profile and i am being told off by someone with a traxxas, hmmm.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:38 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

ohhh i hear a mod coming a long on his/her merry little way...
i'm a mod on RC411 and this woulda been shut down by now for sure...

the lug
Old 12-29-2008, 10:40 PM
jimmmy

Alright, i don't want to ruin this kids thread, truce, S.R.G.?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.