Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

convertin x to xl < budbud ;)>

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 06:20 PM
the bey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default convertin x to xl < budbud ;)>

hi guys i have recently bouht a 4.6rtr savage and im extremely plesed with this little beast! but...... i want a more stable truck so decided that i want to convert it to xl spec. i have reserched it a bit and know the dog bones are uprated so the diffs will need changing and the hubs with the spacers. but what about the middle two shafts that run from g/box to the pinion of the diffs? are these uprated and will i need to chane them alon with the cups on the output shaft of box and disk carrier?
so i know i need:
stub axles and spacers x4
dogbones/drive shafts x4
diffs x2
rear centre shaft (xl is longer)
chassis sides x2
can you guys see anythin i have missed? i know budbud has done this so think he miht be able to help!
oh and i have all of the above parts (including alloy diffs) off a new (8-9 tanks) savage x oh and a set of new carbon fibre sides if anyone wants them?
many thanks
ashley
Old 01-12-2009, 06:33 PM
thzero

Default RE: convertin x to xl < budbud ;)>

The front center dogbone is the same. The rear dogbone for the XL is longer as you mention, but both output cups on the tranny are the same. You'll also need the XL engine plate.

ORIGINAL: the bey

hi guys i have recently bouht a 4.6rtr savage and im extremely plesed with this little beast! but...... i want a more stable truck so decided that i want to convert it to xl spec. i have reserched it a bit and know the dog bones are uprated so the diffs will need changing and the hubs with the spacers. but what about the middle two shafts that run from g/box to the pinion of the diffs? are these uprated and will i need to chane them alon with the cups on the output shaft of box and disk carrier?
so i know i need:
stub axles and spacers x4
dogbones/drive shafts x4
diffs x2
rear centre shaft (xl is longer)
chassis sides x2
can you guys see anythin i have missed? i know budbud has done this so think he miht be able to help!
oh and i have all of the above parts (including alloy diffs) off a new (8-9 tanks) savage x oh and a set of new carbon fibre sides if anyone wants them?
many thanks
ashley
Old 01-12-2009, 06:38 PM
the bey

oh yes i had forgotton about that! lol did think of it but also think i could grind a slot to clear the rear shaft. what are the differences with the enine mount? think i will see if i can et a tank to fit in the rear! no more half lean and it will be out of the way! oh also will my 4.6 fit the 5.9 mount? will et a 5.9 soon! lol!
Old 01-12-2009, 06:47 PM
jrock0012

The only difference is the engine plate is 3mm thick, rather then 2.5mm, and your 4.6 should drop right in.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:49 PM
thzero

Think most seem to dislike the 5.9 and say that the F4.6 is the better engine, definetly on whether its better than the K4.6.

The engine mount will fit; at least when I test fitted my K4.6 (although I hope to replace it with an LRP) it seemed to work.

There was a thread around here about someone who put a 125cc tank in 55mm space that the XL has. Personally I'm working on using an OFNA 250cc and putting it in the front.

ORIGINAL: the bey

oh yes i had forgotton about that! lol did think of it but also think i could grind a slot to clear the rear shaft. what are the differences with the enine mount? think i will see if i can et a tank to fit in the rear! no more half lean and it will be out of the way! oh also will my 4.6 fit the 5.9 mount? will et a 5.9 soon! lol!
Old 01-12-2009, 06:57 PM
the bey

i thouht about a front tank but think the radiobox is kinda neatand i like to be different! im new to rc nitro, did have a tamiya elec mini a few years ago but nitro is somethin else lol im a full petrol head! what enine would be a good upgrade to the 4.6? it only has about 8 tanks throuh it after runnin in but but my old man has a old 25 and sure he would love my 4.6!
Old 01-26-2009, 03:17 PM
mbaca

Just wondering why most folks dis-like the 5.9 engine on the XL??

Thanks for any comments

Mike
Old 01-26-2009, 03:55 PM
dakamat

Hey guys, i've just put the XL engine plate (3mm thick) on my XSS, they fit right, but i had to put little force on it to put the screw in place. I think that the fact that this plate is 3mm, we have to grind the frame a little bit to not put stress on the plate.

Is someone here have drop the XL engine plate right in the XSS without any problem??

Old 01-26-2009, 04:50 PM
BudBud

There is a few of us that like to mess with them. That being said, for the same money, you can do much better and have less trouble. They do not produce the power they should, they run extremely hot, they have bad bearings, they have a multitude of carburetor issues, they have already developed a history of broken pistons and rods. Sure you can spend money on them to make them run, but for less money, you can have a stock Picco 28 and it will flat blow that Hpi 36 or 5.9 away.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:43 PM
dakamat

ORIGINAL: dakamat

Hey guys, i've just put the XL engine plate (3mm thick) on my XSS, they fit right, but i had to put little force on it to put the screw in place. I think that the fact that this plate is 3mm, we have to grind the frame a little bit to not put stress on the plate.

Is someone here have drop the XL engine plate right in the XSS without any problem??

Is somebody have an answer for me?