Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

shredding pinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 06:57 PM
dwjr8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shredding pinions

I have an XL with the stock motor and drivetrain (bell, spur, etc.) recently ive started to shred teeth off of the pinions both front and rear. two in the front and one in the rear. 3 gears over the last 5 tanks of fuel. is there a history of this issue? any aftermarket upgrades i should be checking into?
Old 02-12-2009, 08:04 PM
BudBud

Default RE: shredding pinions

I went a long time before I broke one. I have broken several now. The jumps seem to be the worst, although I have broken them on cartwheels and one running into my pickup tire. Outside of impact abuse, normally when they start going bad, it is bad pinion bearings, loose ring gear, bad out drive bearings or a distorted or broken bulkhead. Glen
Old 02-12-2009, 11:25 PM
dwjr8

unfortunately i can rule out all of those. I have a sweet connection and i am buying complete bulkheads anytime i need to replace anything bearing or gear wise. i could spend $12 dollars on the housing or $12 on a pinion or $35 on the diff set. Im buying the complete operational bulkhead for $30. all components are new. the first one i damaged was apart of that video i posted taking those ridiculous jumps. since then i have stripped 2 more doing nothing abusive (relative of course). the last front one i damaged i stripped one tooth. nothing else was damaged. this seemed weird to me. usually when you strip or break one you break 3-4. which is the case in the rear one i stripped today and is the case in the first front one i damaged. im sorta at a loss on this one.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:50 AM
BudBud

[link=http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/102246/]It would appear that relief is near![/link] Hpi says the Flux parts are an upgrade to earlier Savages. Maybe, just maybe, we have an easy solution!
Old 02-13-2009, 09:24 AM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

Not bad! So would that mean that the entire differential from the Flux would work on nitro Savages?

I find complete bulkheads for maybe $20-$25 shipped. I was lucky enough to get TWO entire bulkheads with diffs, bearings, and cups for about $20 shipped TOTAL! A little tab was broken on the bulkhead when I received it and I asked for a new one and when it arrived, it was the entire thing! I was very happy with my purchase [>:]
Old 02-19-2009, 03:19 AM
jbooker82
My Feedback: (4)

That will be a sweet up grade.

Are you shiming the diff cases when you put in a new pinion? I havent had a problem and I have mine setup on the tight side.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:06 AM
dakamat

CEN