Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

"Nitro School"-After-School/Summer Program

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 08:57 PM
mhovanes21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Nitro School"-After-School/Summer Program

Hey guys, I guess this is slightly off-topic but I'm excited about it and thought I would share. I work as a physical therapist and also coach football at the high school level. The coaching isn't for the money, as cliche' or "corny" as it may sound, I love working with teens and have always been involved in football since I was about 8yo. Anyways, I decided to volunteer on the after-school program committee to come up with an idea for a new program.

I got into nitro almost 2 years ago and I know the hobby can bring great pleasure, as well as be a pain sometimes when things break or won't work correctly. But I'm sure most would agree that there is a high level of satisfaction when you are able to build/fix/problem solve and get your truck up and running. So I thought I would give some kids a chance to experience the same and possibly get interested in something other than video games and girls.

After a lot of negotiating, a lhs is going to lease the Savage X SS RTR at the cost of $162/ea.....yes $162. But the trucks are to be returned in September with only stock parts/replacements. (More on this later) We are required to use their track at least 2x/week and pay the normal usage fees. They are to get ads in the schools weekly newsletter, sports programs, and a sign posted at the football and baseball stadium. Myself, and a friend who knows MUCH more about nitro than I, are going to strip down these trucks. Kids will be coming after school and into the summer (August) to rebuild, tune, race, fix, upgrade, etc. Only cost to them will be initial $30 membership (to help make ends meet with school and LHS).

As of now my budget will allow me to purchase 12 trucks from the LHS. But after that, there is minimum money for replacement parts. Any upgrades/mods will have to be purchased by the students. Ideally I'd like to get additional sponsors to donate while the kids are building so by the time the trucks are completely, we have some reserve cash for parts. Now the best part about this is that come September, the kids will have the option of purchasing their truck for $150. How awesome is that?!?!?
Old 03-02-2009, 08:59 PM
kamicowzi
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: "Nitro School"-After-School/Summer Program

That's really really cool man. I hope it works out great for you!
Old 03-02-2009, 09:03 PM
Flux Driver

I hope it works out. A lot more exciting than those pinewood cars they do in the Boy Scouts, that's for sure. If it works out, see if HPI will do a feature on it on their website.

It's also a great way for them to learn how to use tools, how nitromethane and engines work, and learn some physics. Even at the age of 31, one of the reasons I got the Flux was to gain confidence in trying to open things up to fix them.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:27 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Nice idea but watch out for liabilities!
Old 03-02-2009, 09:29 PM
mhovanes21

ORIGINAL: 46u

Nice idea but watch out for liabilities!
As far as injuries to self or others, school has it covered lol I enjoy working with kids but I'll be d@mned if I'm gonna lose my car/house/savings because someone takes out a bicyclist at a park lol
Old 03-02-2009, 10:19 PM
Clymer122693

Thats awesome man! Sounds like your a pretty cool teacher!
Old 03-02-2009, 10:22 PM
mhovanes21

ORIGINAL: Clymer122693

I do PT and coach, definitely not a teacher...could never teach the same material year after year.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:50 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Have you talked to the school yet and what age group?
Old 03-02-2009, 11:09 PM
mhovanes21

ORIGINAL: 46u

Have you talked to the school yet and what age group?
oh yes, everything is set to go. I've been working on this for months. Just waiting to see how many are going to enroll. We are going to open it up to all students, freshmen thru seniors
Old 03-02-2009, 11:44 PM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

Make sure to set up some surveillance cameras in the room occupying all the parts/trucks...[>:]
Old 03-02-2009, 11:56 PM
Clymer122693

ORIGINAL: mhovanes21

ORIGINAL: Clymer122693

I do PT and coach, definitely not a teacher...could never teach the same material year after year.
Coach,teacher same diff lol Either way its pretty damn cool what your doing IMO.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:11 AM
mhovanes21

ORIGINAL: PrjctStrtFrce

Make sure to set up some surveillance cameras in the room occupying all the parts/trucks...[>:]
LOL, its definitely a potential issue. Hell, I know it would have at least crossed my mind when I was younger [&:] ...going to have some strict sign in/sign out rules, and all trucks/parts are going to have to be locked up in a separate room.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:13 AM
3-172IN MTN

I know my tow big brothers went to RHS and if that is the school you are speaking of, those kids are not always good kids. There are a bad bunch. My cousins all went there as well and they seem to have come out alright so far..

You will just have to hope for the best and the best is sure to come. I am also sure that the bad eggs are not interested in anything but drugs and girls.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:03 AM
Flux Driver

What if someone takes a nitro engine and converts it into some kind of high power bong or crack pipe?
Old 03-03-2009, 03:16 AM
3-172IN MTN

I guess as long as they share with the rest of the class it will be alright!
Old 03-03-2009, 09:41 AM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: Flux Driver

What if someone takes a nitro engine and converts it into some kind of high power bong or crack pipe?
lawlz...30,000+ hits per minute!
Old 03-03-2009, 05:49 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very cool idea, I wish I had some type of mechanical programs/things at my school like that.. Too bad I go to a stinking arts/theatre/music school, I guess its not bad if you enjoy it but I quit the sax last year when my old teacher went cookoo. But that is really chill, I hope it works out!
Old 03-03-2009, 06:09 PM
SAVAGEBANE

i thought about that once. i hope it works out for you, you seem to have the means and a good plan. if kids are interested in it then they will latch onto it like crazy.
the kids and teens around my area kinda already have it in them. they are putting weedwacker motors on their bikes and fixing little go carts and stuff. they always get in trouble by the police because they are flying down the street doing like 30mph with no light, no helmet and one hand holding the throttle open! i thought if i could get these kids into basic affordable rc then get a decent place to run them with no public interference....it would keep them busy and occupied. they would learn lots of valuable things that you cant get from a L.A. public education, AND they wouldnt have time or money for trying drugs and other stupid stuff. I still wanna do it but someone beat me to the punch and turned the empty lot into a dog park.
Anyway i hope your plan works!!!