Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Another video of the .25 for y'all

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 01:48 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another video of the .25 for y'all

Took a little video today. Nothing special, I just decided to go out and run a tank through it. The first part is me starting it from cold. It hadnt been ran in 2 days. It was a little lean at the end once i got to the blacktop, but i didnt have my tuning screwdriver since i left it around behind the house. It was about 45* today, so thats the main reason it needed richening. It was ok till the tank got down to about half way, then i could tell it was leaning out a little. Anyways, here is the video. [8D]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SMtfZxq-P8

I may be picking up an almost new axial .28 for it soon. Im working on a trade with a guy, and if he wants to trade, I should have it next week. May not be the best motor, but id just be trading some of my electric stuff for it that i dont need anymore, so hopefully it works out for me
Old 03-11-2009, 04:57 PM
scarletboa
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Another video of the .25 for y'all

what kind of electric stuff are you trading to this guy?

i am converting my savage to brushless and i have the stock .28 engine with the stock cooling head and a nova cooling head.

most people will agree with me when i say that the f4.6 is the most powerful and user-friendly engine that hpi makes. everyone(almost) will also agree that a f4.6 will blow any axial motor away.

send me a pm.

btw, that is a pretty impressive tune you have on that .25 engine.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:06 PM
cummins driver

Im trading a couple of trinity motors, and a Novak XRS reversible ESC. Nothing real great, but a pretty good setup for a single motor 1/10 truck.

I would have been interested in trading with you, but i have already sealed the deal with him, and i dont like backing out of deals. I appreciate it though.

Eric
Old 03-11-2009, 05:31 PM
scarletboa
My Feedback: (1)

no problem

i don't like non-brushless electric anyway

that axial motor might give you some problems, but once dialed in, it will have less power than a f4.6, but more power than the current motor that you have right now. it looks like a pretty good deal.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:39 PM
cummins driver

Im not wanting anything thats gonna rip the driveline apart, but a little more pep would be nice, and since i wont be out anything, it'll work out pretty good for me. Im gonna seal up the axial before i ever try to run it. It only has a couple tanks through it. [8D] I figured you were looking for brushless stuff. Not many people want brushed anymore.

BudBud said the Axial is the same as the K4.6, so surely it wont be too bad.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:05 PM
TJ31

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

Im not wanting anything thats gonna rip the driveline apart, but a little more pep would be nice, and since i wont be out anything, it'll work out pretty good for me. Im gonna seal up the axial before i ever try to run it. It only has a couple tanks through it. [8D] I figured you were looking for brushless stuff. Not many people want brushed anymore.

BudBud said the Axial is the same as the K4.6, so surely it wont be too bad.
Should be just fine I think... More power than the 25, so you should be even more happy!

Cool video once again!

LOL @ your pup being on cam!
Old 03-11-2009, 06:13 PM
cummins driver

Yeah, I think as long as the axial is a fairly reliable motor i will be real happy with it. [8D]

Yeah, the poor dog is old and cant hardly hear anymore but she still has fun. We got her when i was 5 y/o and im 21 now, so that makes her about 16 y/o. [8D]

Eric
Old 03-11-2009, 06:13 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like how the dog doesn't care at all, man I'd be shot for starting my Savage in that spot lol
Old 03-11-2009, 06:38 PM
cummins driver

Well, nobody else was home, so you know... What they dont know wont hurt em

Just got the trade finalized, and I should have an axial .28 spec 1s on the way tomorrow. I still have to finish break in on it since it isnt even broken in yet. I guess he started it, and got the first 2 tanks through it, but I need to finish it out, so if its that new, and the first 2 tanks were done right, then i should have a basically new motor[8D]
Old 03-11-2009, 06:48 PM
TJ31

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

Well, nobody else was home, so you know... What they dont know wont hurt em

Just got the trade finalized, and I should have an axial .28 spec 1s on the way tomorrow. I still have to finish break in on it since it isnt even broken in yet. I guess he started it, and got the first 2 tanks through it, but I need to finish it out, so if its that new, and the first 2 tanks were done right, then i should have a basically new motor[8D]
Seems to be a good deal, why's he selling btw?

Old 03-11-2009, 06:56 PM
BudBud

Do not be surprised if your 25 is faster than your Axial. The Axial should have more low to midrange torque. You may be able to gear up a little to gain some of the speed back. You should see more acceleration and easier wheelies.

My dog's [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLh5lzV6aOk]reaction to RC[/link] trucks is considerably different than yours. Glen
Old 03-11-2009, 07:44 PM
SAVAGEJIM

You know, you can embed your Savage vids now!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SMtfZxq-P8[/youtube]
Old 03-11-2009, 07:49 PM
cummins driver

ORIGINAL: BudBud

Do not be surprised if your 25 is faster than your Axial. The Axial should have more low to midrange torque. You may be able to gear up a little to gain some of the speed back. You should see more acceleration and easier wheelies.

My dog's [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLh5lzV6aOk]reaction to RC[/link] trucks is considerably different than yours. Glen
Really? If its faster I may just sell the axial then. Ill at least break it in and try it and make sure it runs well first though. Would 18/49 gearing be too much? Or should I run the 16/49 im running now? I dont want to buy another clutch bell, but i have the 16 and 18, so surely i can find a good gearing combo for one or the other.

Yeah, all my dogs except that one are scared of my r/c's
Old 03-11-2009, 07:51 PM
cummins driver

ORIGINAL: TJ31
Seems to be a good deal, why's he selling btw?

He is getting rid of his LST, and he had that going with it. He wanted to trade for electric stuff, so I asked if he'd be interested in trading the axial seperately and so we struck up a deal[8D]

SavageJim: Thanks i didnt know that. Ill have to try it next time!

Eric
Old 03-11-2009, 07:56 PM
Hordsak

Your probably going to want to clean that patio table off with some cleaner =) Nitro exhaust makes quite the mess
Old 03-11-2009, 07:58 PM
BudBud

I ran into that when I put an Axial 28 on my Tower Terror, the Axial had more power and would wheelie easier, but the 25 was noticeably faster on the ground. The Savage is heavier, so that may make a big difference. Since you have it coming, I would eyeball it really close for air leaks and bad bearings, then try it. If it has silly power, which it should geared that low, try a larger bell. Glen
Old 03-11-2009, 08:04 PM
TJ31

ORIGINAL: Hordsak

Your probably going to want to clean that patio table off with some cleaner =) Nitro exhaust makes quite the mess
Yeah, I made the mistake of running my first tank through my XL on our deck... It was so rich the fuel made a huge puddle of oil.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:22 PM
cummins driver

Sounds good. Im a fan of low end grunt, so if the axial really has some get up down low ill probably like it pretty good. I may gear up some though in order to keep some decent top end too. I like climbing hills and things, especially loose dirt that you have to claw your way up, so sounds like it should have some get up to it down in the lower RPM where ill be when im doing that. Just need to find some real good hills now. haha

Yeah, ill probably clean the table off tonight. Might not be a bad idea. I just couldnt find a good place to put it where i could video it, so i would up there
Old 03-11-2009, 09:39 PM
BudBud

The Axial 28 spec 1 is not a powerhouse by any means. You could pick about any 28 on the market and outrun it. What I am wondering is if you will actually gain anything, you may wind up with a truck that runs about the same, just at a lower rpm. I know that is the case with the 5.9 and the LRP. You can drop a tooth on the LRP in an XL to 15/52 and it will spank a 5.9 in every way. It has enough rpm to cover the top end and the lower gear gives it enough power to rip with the 5.9 on the low end. It will be interesting to see what you think when you get it broken in. Glen
Old 03-11-2009, 10:21 PM
R/C Lightweight

It's weird watching that video, Cummins. I've been fooling around with my Savage 25 for a few weeks now trying to get that "perfect tune" on it. After watching your video, I'm able to confirm that mine is running as well as it should. It was also in the mid 40s here a couple days ago and I'd swear I was watching a video of my own truck! The original .25 powerplant seems to be a good all around match for the truck. It's not the highest revving, nor is it a stump puller, but it's a decent mill that can move a fairly heavy truck along pretty well. Gets decent fuel economy as well. I'm trying to figure out right now if the fuel tank is supposed to have any play in it. I can't tell if it's supposed to move a bit from side to side or not. Maybe the movement helps prevent the mid-tank lean issue by allowing the bottom of the fuel tank swing in or out to compensate for centrifugal force? Or perhaps the reason it's loose is just vibration, I don't know how it's supposed to be.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:33 PM
cummins driver

BudBud: Yeah, I will be interested to see the difference too. I understand what you are saying for sure. If i have to overgear it to pull decent on top, and it loses some bottom end from it, then it may not run any better than it does now. Ill break it in, and tune it, and see what i think of it for sure Ill be sure and get video once i get it tuned and geared decent, and we will see if there is much difference[8D] The videos i have seen of them in a savage look to be stouter than mine though. Most seem to pull the wheels right up. One was radaring his truck, and it was going about 40mph and pulling the wheels easily down low and that is better than mine right now. But we'll see for sure. Have you never ran one in a savage Glen?

R/C lightweight: The original .25 really is a good match for the truck. It has a nice broad power band, and moves the 12lb truck pretty good. Like you said, its no fire breather, but for the little fuel i have put through mine, it has been pretty easy to tune, and rock solid reliable[8D] Fuel economy seems very good. Thats one thing im a little worried about with the axial when i get it in.

Oh and as for the fuel tank, its just pinned on with body clips. Mine has some play in it too.

I wasnt looking for another engine, I just came up on the axial, and he was willing to trade for some electric stuff that i dont have a truck for anymore, so i figured why not have it just for a spare engine if nothing else Im definately anxious to see what the outcome is myself.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:40 PM
R/C Lightweight

Right on. I know the Axials are a mixed bag, but for the deal you struck, you can't go wrong. Even if it's the same power as the .25 or only slightly better, you know that you have an extra engine to fall back on.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:45 PM
cummins driver

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwUE6xAVVhU

There is the video i was talking about. I forgot he has 3rd gear though, which changes it up since it also has a lower first gear, and a higher ratio up top. His motor is also the RR which is supposed to be better than the spec 1s.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:02 AM
BudBud

I have run the Axial 28 spec 1 and the twin to it, the Hpi K4.6. I had two of each, I also had two Axial 32s. I gave a 4.6 away recently and a nother F4.6 was given away. I sold an Axial 32, but have not seen any money yet. [:-] That is okay, he has boys and if they are happy and getting enjoyment out of it, I am not complaining. There are not many engines available that I have not tried. I will buy a Nosram or LRP 30 to see how it does, just because I want to know. Experience is the best teacher! I think if you look through my gallery you will find lots of engines in various Savages. Glen
Old 03-12-2009, 02:18 PM
nitro rc

ORIGINAL: BudBud

my dog is terrified of mine and my brother's nitros. When we fire them up, she gets the he11 out of the way!! LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.