Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

What did you do to your Savage today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 12:15 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What did you do to your Savage today?

Nope, ThunderbirdJunkie saw two of these threads on Jeep forums...thought it translated to the Savage nicely.

Cleaned up the Savage some, ordered a few spurs, and reshimmed the clutchbell (and yes, this IS directly related to the new spurs...)
Old 03-18-2009, 08:50 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Nothing yet as of today, but ill be finishing break in and tuning on my Axial .28 spec 1s tonight
Old 03-18-2009, 11:19 AM
bray 1

getting ready to take mine to track today looks like a good day
Old 03-18-2009, 10:13 PM
Flux Driver

Cleaned the truck using an air compressor machine thing. May use some Team Orion spray from the LHS to get a few more spots. I scrubbed the dirt off the shocks and put Bad Horsie sleeves on the springs. I'm gonna use red locktite on the screw stub for the gear on the motor.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:24 PM
scarletboa
My Feedback: (1)

i took mine out of the garage and just stared at it for a half hour. i was just contemplating how i am going to do my brushless converseion. i carved a piece of styrofoam so it had the same dimentions as the batteries i'm looking at and just looked for places to mount them where i could still bash the truck without destroying to the batteries.

i also saw a man and his son driving their new savage x 4.6 in the dirt lot right next to where i was bashing my rustler vxl. they were completely new to rc and i gave them a few tips. i told them they made the right choice when choosing an rc. the kid was about 8 years old and loved watching that thing crash. it's a good thing they chose a durable truck over something like a t-maxx or a duratrax rtx-27[sm=52_52.gif]

i think i'm going to be finding a new home for all of the nitro components off of my savage to help fund my conversion a little better. i'm still thinking about my motor/esc options as well as battery options and battery mounting options. i think i might end up getting xl chassis plates so i can mount the batteries inside the TVPs.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:58 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ThunderbirdJunkie thinks you need a Tekin G12III esc and a Trinity D3 9 turn motor with a Trinity matched 2400 pack with some PowerPole connectors[8D]

Old School is the only way to roll!
Old 03-19-2009, 07:24 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Please do not conduct any sales of your car parts in the discussion forums. You may place a for sale ad in the RCU Market Place. Thanks Dave
Old 03-19-2009, 08:01 AM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

The only thing that I can do, is look at my XL just sitting there feeling jealous of my X4.6, because of all the run time it receives. []
Old 03-19-2009, 03:44 PM
veedub

realized how much of a difference having the wrong glow plug can make.. accidentally using a hot plug then putting a cold plug in and the truck starting immediatly and running perfect. woot
Old 03-19-2009, 05:09 PM
Kraegar

Put it up for sale. []
Old 03-19-2009, 06:19 PM
wingedwheel-0420
Banned

dang already kraegar,what a bummer

i lubed up my savy today
Old 03-29-2009, 12:47 PM
SAVAGEJIM

I plan on taking on of my Savages out today, all that cold stuff blew past me the other day.

I wanted to run my twin engine Savage yesterday, but I could not get the right side engine to fire up. The back plate is broken, right where one of the screws go into! So that means for ALOT of slippage of the OWB when trying to fire it up.
I think I will tighten down the other two screws to see if that will keep the starter plate from coming out of position: I noticeted the starter plate looking like it was wiggling loose from the remaining two screws loosening out.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:17 PM
BudBud

Put three of them on battery chargers, thinking maybe I would run today or tomorrow. We had a seven to eleven inch snowfall, but it is melting rapidly. I am thinking a set of paddles in a really wet snow might be fun. Glen
Old 03-29-2009, 05:37 PM
SAVAGEJIM

That cold crap that was on me a few days ago must have been what is on you now. Damn, it was cold!
Its still cold now, but at least it is not freezing (well, according to what the news says, I beg to differ).

I took out two of my Savages today, ran on tank eack through each engine.
I had a bit of problem with my twin engine Savage, like I mentioned in my most previous post in this thread, the right side engine has a busted back plate, so it slips like crazy when trying to start it. I think I might have fragged the starter OWB, because after a half tank and it dies and I tried to restart it, it simply will not grip the crank pin to turn the crank over. [:@]

Then, I wussed out from the cold and came back in hoping that RCU was finished with the newest features uploads. Unfortunately, it is still uploading alot so it is still mega slow on page turning. If it werent so cold, I go back out and burn the rest of my gallon of fuel!
Old 03-29-2009, 07:44 PM
sharkattack99

i ordered rear diff parts today hopefully will be back in to runin order by the weekend.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:24 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I placed bids on 2 easy access X spec complete bulkheads last night. I only won one[], but I got it for $15 shipped. So at least I'll be able to have 4WD and the front end will be easy access. It feels funny how I need to update my truck, the Savage line really has come a long way. Though I do think that it will be some time until I upgrade to XL dimensions, IMO the original Savages looks just right even if they did handle the rough stuff a little worse. I'll be needing new wheel bearings as mine have become squeaky from our snow storms, and maybe some other update parts.

Tom.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:31 PM
barrydidntknow

Took mine out today for the first time after switching the 5.9 to a pull start. Got it started on the 4th pull. I think that is acceptable for a pull start newbie. She ran pretty well, just ordered my wheelie bar and a pull start conversion for my nitro 4-tech. I did find that with the pull start on the savage xl my roll cage and the fuel tank get in the wat a bit. Not a big deal, just a bit less skin on the knuckles.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:14 PM
scarletboa
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: DavidAgar

Please do not conduct any sales of your car parts in the discussion forums. You may place a for sale ad in the RCU Market Place. Thanks Dave
sorry, won't let it happen again

i went looking around for motor/esc options and i think i found my setup.

i found a motor that is BIGGER THAN THE MMM MOTOR! and the best part is: it only costs $55. [link=http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=4937]KB45-8xl[/link] the MMM motor is 40x75 while this motor is a whopping 45x77

i'm still a little unsure about the esc but i found a 200a plane esc that has been proven at 125a on a different forum. is anyone here familiar with this esc? will i need a pistix for it? [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/200A-Brushless-Motor-Speed-Controller-RC-ESC-200aESC_W0QQitemZ110318943175QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRa dio_Control_Parts_Accessories?hash=item11031894317 5&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50]mystery 200a esc[/link]

i'm still debating if i'm going to use 5s or 6s lipo. there is about a $1 difference between the 2 choices i have. i could run 2 5s 3ah lipos in parellel or i can run 2 3s 5ah lipos in series. both batteries are rated at 20c constant. i think i'm leaning toward the 3s lipos because i would be able to charge them at the same time.
i'm still a little
Old 03-29-2009, 11:18 PM
Flux Driver

I took my Flux to a bash spot I was told about at a LHS. It was fantastic. Two other guys were there for their second time. One had a 5 year old Savage with the original engine that hasn't been used in a few years. Ran great except it wouldn't switch to 2nd gear. The other had an HPI MT2 which he felt wasn't running that fast. My Flux just had two 7cell NIMH batteries. The terrain was hard ground with soft white dirt, almost like sand but more powdery but also a little grainy. My Flux still has its stock tires so it didn't get traction all that well. But still it ran great and it was fun to run our vehicles in circles around the area. I never ran an RC to follow other RC's before and never raced. It's definitely different from bashing alone.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:47 PM
bigwaltc

I ran my X for a while put on some new terrapins to see how they would work with stock gears they work ok but I have a 15 CB and a 52 spur for it [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 03-30-2009, 12:00 AM
usmc_VTOL_mech

Flux Driver
Whereabouts is this secret bashing spot of yours?
I might have to take a look see
Old 03-30-2009, 12:21 AM
Flux Driver

It's not all that secret. In Orange County, California, it's on Bake Parkway(has a 5 freeway exit) and Orchard. Orchard is a street north of the 4 freeway, on the way to Foothill Ranch. If coming away from the freeway, you won't be able to turn left on Orchard but take the next left at the light. Then left into the business center. Most of the buildings seem to be unused looking for renters or something. Actually I'll use Google Map to take screen shots. I'll have to wait til the forums here are working properly so I can upload them here. Then I can point where to park. Basically up against the slope where you walk up a path to the large open area behind the buildings. Lower level nearer Bake Parkway is for RC helicopters and airplanes. Upper level over a slope is for ground vehicles. There's a small track there to be found. And area with a few low dirt ramps. And some large oval or circle track with a long curve cut into a hill. I'll take pictures next time I go there.

There was a couple guys with helicopters. One of them, I couldn't tell if he was joking or being negative. I said that someone from a certain LHS store told me about the spot and he asked if it was a certain person by name. I said no but I couldn't remember the name of the guy who told me. He then ask if it was that "dumb kid" or "tall dumb kid" or something. Well don't worry no one owns that area and just for him, I'll gonna let everyone here know about it. :-)

Cause hey, the more nicer people that go there, the better. Helps offset any not so nice ones.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:51 AM
usmc_VTOL_mech

Flux driver awwww crap.......orange county way to far for me...I am up here in Glendale
(yeah I need to update my location)
Sometimes I take my Flux and my crt .5 conversion to the oc/rc indoor track in HB maybe once a month or so
Other than that I usually run all my cars on the track in Montclare
Old 03-30-2009, 09:57 AM
Foxtrap

Not Today...but over the weekend I installed the OFNA linkage Kit!!....best mod yet I think...well besides bigger motor and XL conversion....

Haven't Taken it out yet...but I did fire it up at a Party I had here, and razzed it around my apartment a bit...lol!

looks like the Kit actually makes my brakes 250% better....just couldn't get it dialed in right with the stock stuff.

Oh and I made a deadly skid plate out of a tupperware container that looks like it was custom fit for the savage!!!....its got a sort of slide rail look to it on the sides and all.....heres some pics...

Rubbermaid Skid

Ofna linkage...Rye ..and yes...Patio Furniture in the living room...not hard to see where my priorities are!!...There is a full Heineken Umbrella on the table too...which classes things up a bit.;-)
Old 03-30-2009, 11:01 AM
usmc_VTOL_mech

Foxtrap
My G/f was horrified once when she saw me put my savage into the dishwasher
(minus engine and electronics of course)
But dam did it come out pretty!
The overhead umbrella definately classes the place up.....about as well as my milk crate car stands!

Savage looks good man!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.