Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Axial .28 rr

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 10:30 PM
hghflyrjd1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axial .28 rr

I just got this axial 28rr motor brand new never run what do i need to do to it befor i install it or run it. do i need to seal the carbn or area around the high spped needle the flywheel and bell from the savage will just drop on right..also is there any special tuneing that people use on these motors compared to stock motors?
Old 03-22-2009, 12:11 AM
scarletboa
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Axial .28 rr

if i were you, i'd sell it and it you only have $150 or less to spend on an engine, get a sportwerks .26 or a losi mach 427 engine. if you have over $150 to spend i say, get a LRP, or a picco. if you are somewhat new to nitro, go for the LRP .28. if you really know what you are doing with nitro, get the picco .28. they are the most powerful engines you can get for $200 or less.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:50 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Nothing wrong with the Axial. I really like mine so far, but im still having clutch issues too.

Seal the backplate, and carb(i use RTV). And you may also want to seal the mid speed needle somehow, as they tend to unscrew themselves on their own if you arent careful.

I have almost a gallon through mine now though, and other than needing a better clutch, so far so good. It starts and idles great, and when the clutch decides to work, it has no problem keeping the front wheels in the air.

Eric
Old 03-22-2009, 07:54 AM
FRENCHBLUE72

Just seal her up and let her rip.. Make sure she gets the proper break in and all will be good..
Old 03-22-2009, 08:59 AM
hghflyrjd1

This guy says sell it. Lol. I just got it for really cheap too. I've seen a lot on these motors so I assume they must be somwhat as good as those otheres like some piccos and stuff. And it the 28RR. Anyone have a link to how to seel all the stuff up and what do u use to accually seal it
Old 03-22-2009, 09:00 AM
BudBud

Does anybody know who makes the Axial RR? The spec 1 is a Kingstar engine, but the RR looks like it is of the LRP-Nosram-SH block design, yet Axial says ot has a three needle carburetor. This three needle looks smaller than the K carbs, interesting... I never had an RR but I have watched a lot of videos of them and they certainly sound stronger than the K or spec one engines do. I would run it, just to find out for myself, if nothing else. Glen
Old 03-22-2009, 11:58 AM
Lilredmachine

I have a .28RR in an XTM Mammoth ST Pro. It's mental when you hit a good tune. Can't imagine needing any more power to be honest, and the Mammoth makes the savage look like a dinky toy in terms of size so I know it'll be throwing that Savage around with abandon.

Seal 'er up and get it mounted, you'll have a beast of a motor when she's run in.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97330.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	200.0 KB
ID:	1163311  
Old 03-22-2009, 05:08 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: BudBud

Does anybody know who makes the Axial RR? The spec 1 is a Kingstar engine, but the RR looks like it is of the LRP-Nosram-SH block design, yet Axial says ot has a three needle carburetor. This three needle looks smaller than the K carbs, interesting... I never had an RR but I have watched a lot of videos of them and they certainly sound stronger than the K or spec one engines do. I would run it, just to find out for myself, if nothing else. Glen

they are also made by kingstar...
Old 03-22-2009, 05:12 PM
BudBud

Just a redesign of their carburetor? Hopefully it is a better carburetor than the previous engine. They are priced dangerously close to the LRP and Picco engines though. Glen
Old 03-22-2009, 06:17 PM
hghflyrjd1

So what I wanna know is it gonna be a GOOD improvment from my stock K4.6 motor. Will it have alil more speed and a lot more tourque. Like if it has a change what type of chabge will it be. The RPMs are alil lower then the '4.6. And alil smaller in c.c
Old 03-22-2009, 06:42 PM
hghflyrjd1

With these motors tuneing em. The highspeed has like that plastic narled cap like thing looks like u would just grab it and turn it by hand but then it has the slot like most other hsn. Any tips on tuneing them. My brother in law has the spec 1 and its barely broken in and it still won't change to 2nd yet. I'm assumeing we still need to lean it mor to get it to shift
Old 03-22-2009, 06:52 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it wont be a hue step above the 4.6, it will however definitely be an improvement..... I hate to say this but chances are you would find what your looking for with either a LRP or Picco...But the RR will still likely make you very happy so worry not...
Old 03-22-2009, 06:56 PM
cummins driver

I dont think you will see much difference going from the k4.6 to the Axial, but maybe a little. I saw a pretty good jump over my .25 engine, but i think the 4.6 will be pretty similar in power.

Eric
Old 03-22-2009, 07:09 PM
hghflyrjd1

Well cummings, u have the spec 1. I think the spec one has like 2000 LESS rpms. So I guess I'm gonna have to just drop it in to see what's the deal
Old 03-22-2009, 07:42 PM
cummins driver

Yeah, i know the RR is supposed to run better than mine. But i ran with an F4.6 this weekend, and we were fairly close. He seemed to have the edge on me though. His gearing is 17/47 i belive. Mine is 15/49, so obviously he was killing me on top end, but bottom end seemed pretty close.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:12 AM
robertpage
My Feedback: (10)

I have the .28RR in my savage x and the only problem i had with it was the mid-range needle but some blue locktite solved that and for brake in dont just idle it the factory setting are way to rich! I just puted about 1/4 throtle for 1/2 tank then leaned out 1/4 turn for the other 1/2 tank did this for about 5-6 tanks slowly leaning out! but as far as performance i didn,t see that much more torqe but alot more top end but i was going for speed not realy anymore power wheelies are not my thing three speed trany,high speed third gear set and robinson 16/46 spur and clutch bell also still has no problem popin wheelies
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55879.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	1366201   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61253.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	1366202  
Old 01-28-2010, 09:29 PM
SAVAGEJIM

I have 2x of the original Kingstar (sold by Axial of course) .28RR (not the newer version 2, the original .28RR that came out a couple of years ago).

Axial (really, Kingstar) screwed up on this engine by giving it a terrible timing profile. Actually, the timing profile is okay only for a basher truck, but it is not a performer like they were pumping it up to be. So, if you are only bashing around in the back yard or in the gravel pit, it is an okay engine.
But honestly, I would recommend an SH or resold SH (from like LRP for example) instead. The SH and resold SH engines are much much better for backyard bashing.

As for the quality of Axial (And any other Kingstar, including HPI's K engines), the materials quality of these unfortunately suck. I hate to say it, but even SH engines are better materials-wise.
I have run a done of Kingstars; several HPI K engines, and of course, my two Axial .28RR engines. The block aluminum is too brittle, and I have ruined mounting tabs on Kingstar engines too many times.