Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

How to seal up a 5.9

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 09:51 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How to seal up a 5.9

ORIGINAL: BudBud

You have not burned over twenty gallons messing with the stupid things either. That is about all I did for a few months there, mess with those 5.9s hoping to find the magic combination. I learned a lot, but never did get it to run respectfully compared to a LRP or Picco 28. Hpi was so close to having a great engine, but chose to take the safe route and timed it too low. I wish LRP would bring out a .36 with their current 30 as a base design... anybody at SH or Associated listening in? If so, fire us up a .36 with the same timing and port design/volume percentages as the new 30 and watch it sell!
ThunderbirdJunkie would have to change his boxers about 150 times if that happened...

Old 06-14-2009, 10:43 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

BTW...best way to seal up a Kingstar (K5.9, 4.6, Axial whatever, etc) is to jack up the air filter and move a new engine under it
Old 06-14-2009, 11:37 PM
BudBud

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

BTW...best way to seal up a Kingstar (K5.9, 4.6, Axial whatever, etc) is to jack up the air filter and move a new engine under it
Truer words were never spoken!
Old 06-15-2009, 01:18 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Kinda the same with the picco carbs, huh? Except they cost enough money, the carb should have been right in the first place....
Old 06-15-2009, 02:29 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

Kinda the same with the picco carbs, huh? Except they cost enough money, the carb should have been right in the first place....
ahh, the old chestnut..."CHEAP STUFF IS ALLOWED TO BE CRAP"

Sorry, but the Picco you pay $200 for, and you may or may not have to spend a few bucks on a carb.

An Axial/K4.6/K5.9 you are guaranteed to need to buy a carb for, and needs crank bearings right outta the box.

Hmm.

So basically, you wind up with a$230 engine either way.

If you want to get an inexpensive, good engine...get a Mach 427. Good power, reliable, trouble-free...and if you want an expensive piece of crap, get an Axial 32 that will not outpower said Mach 427 (which is a .26), will cause you more headaches than a 300,000 mile Yugo, and eat through more bearings than a POS Dana axle.

Just reiterating what you said.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:33 AM
3-172IN MTN

I guess, except the materials in any picco mill are far superior. So, considering that you are paying for better components and a stronger mill a little CA glue on the carb (.25 fix) is a lot better than a 116 dollar fix after you have purcahsed an underpowered 28. 

I guess all in all you cannot polish poop.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:34 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: 3-172IN MTN

I guess, exceptthe materials in any picco millare far superior. So, considering that you are paying for better components and a stronger mill a little CA glue on the carb (.25 fix) is a lot better than a 116 dollar fix after you have purcahsed an underpowered 28.

I guess all in all you cannot polish poop.
But as BudBud and supertib have proven, you can port it and put a Novarossi carb on it!!!

Old 06-15-2009, 02:43 AM
3-172IN MTN

And replace the bearings, so for 300 more dollars you have a competitive mill. I still see that there is no benefit in purchasing a Axial.

So, all in all you could spend .25 on fixing the carb on a picco, or 300 fixing an axial mill.

You know someday there is going to be some kid that has been saving all his money up to buy a new mill and he is going to read about how great some people think the axial is and spend all his money on it. Only to find out it is not that great after all. So, for 116 bux I am sure some people will be happy with that mill. But that one kid wants to be competitive in his neighborhood or whatever is going to get his doors blown off by someone who thought to spend 50 bux more on their mill.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:41 AM
BudBud

CD.... "Kinda the same with the picco carbs, huh? Except they cost enough money, the carb should have been right in the first place.... "

I have watched some videos of some pretty nice running Axial powered trucks. I think Herr Savage has posted some pretty impressive videos and he likes the polished pipe. I had a K4.6 that actually ran very good when the weather was right. The problem was that I replaced the front bearing new and it had a horrible carburetor. That is the engine that I learned all of the carb issues from. I wound up with so much sealer on the carb and in the threads, that I quit adjusting it when I finally got it sealed. On good days, it ran good, on bad days, I just drove something else. It was not worth risking breaking the tuning seal.

I have found better ways to take care of them since then, but I never had another Axial 28 or K4.6 run as good as that one did on a good day. Even my Axial 32s would not run with that particular engine. I am pretty sure none of my stock 5.9 engines would run with it either.

Some of us might get lucky and get a good Kingstar engine, but the odds are against that. TBJ is right on the money with the Machs if you are on a really tight budget. I suppose there are Machs with engine troubles too, but I have not heard of very many....

I never denied any of the Picco's downfalls. That engine is incredible, strong, tough, fast.... of they only had an SH quality carburetor. I have a NovaRossi N528XR with a sticking carburetor. For a long time that was supposed to be king of the hill for non-bump engines. They sold upwards of 400 dollars new, if and when you could get your hands on one. My, how times have changed.

Now we have a very nice LRP 30 under 200 dollars that as far as I can tell, does nothing wrong, except get a heat soaked carburetor and needs primed after running out of fuel hot. It is under 200 dollars and will more than likely outrun a Picco in most hobbyists hands, simply because it has a much wider tuning window. It does not have the top end or the midrange power of a Picco, but it is much easier to live with.

Often on these forums I get semi-attacked for downplaying the Kingstars, it is just from personal experience. I have owned around 15 of them, I burned lots of fuel in them and I learned a lot from them. The Axial 28 used to sell for around 175 dollars. I think their poor quality has steadily erroded away at the money they can bring.

If a better engine comes along and upsets the Picco or LRP 30, I am not one to hide it from members here on the forums. I am all for the guys getting the most they can get for their RC dollars, and the Kingstar family has proven to me many times over that they are not the solution. When somebody obtains one though, I am always sharing what I know to help them get the most and longest life out of their investment.

I am in this hobby because I enjoy it. I am not subsidized by Picco, Associated or anybody else. I have no interest or investments in any of these companies. I have nothing to gain or lose by promoting a product. Glen

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_86...tm.htm#8699442

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8459627/tm.htm

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_80...tm.htm#8751847

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_56...tm.htm#5641751

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_79...tm.htm#7926406

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_87...tm.htm#8706666

Old 06-18-2009, 03:54 PM
wolfie1

so im not into serious racing i just go out and muck about and have fun so u reckon an lrp 30 is the 1 to go 4 cause its easy to tune, forgiving, reliable and cost affective cause i also have a himoto truck with a .18 sh engine and i have run about 6 or 7 gallons through it anyway and have only ever had to replace the cluch on the engine side of things and its always started no problem and run great, but this k5.91 gallon and its giving me problems already, what cc is an lrp 30? i know a .21 is a 3.3 and a 5.9 is .36 would a lrp30 be a 4.2 and if it was wouldnt that be less powerfull but more reliable?
Old 06-18-2009, 04:37 PM
BudBud

Those confusing numbers... at any rate, the engine size really does not have nearly as much to do with the power produced as we like to think.In this case the smaller .30 engine just smokes the .36 all the way through thepower band and kills it on top end as well. The 5.9or .36 is a pretty big disappointment. They can be made to run, but it seems foolish to spend 600 dollars on an engine that stillhas a marginal piston in it and a fairly soft chrome lined sleeve.

12ci - 2.0cc
    [*].15ci - 2.5cc[*].18ci - 3.0cc[*].21ci - 3.5cc[*].25ci - 4.1cc[*].27ci - 4.4cc[*].28ci - 4.6cc[*].30ci - 5.0cc[*].32ci - 5.2cc[*].36ci - 5.9cc[*].46ci - 7.5cc[/list]
Old 06-21-2009, 11:45 AM
wolfie1

ok i see what ur sayin like an american muscle car engine big and impressive lookin but it will get smoked by a smaller subaru imprezza turbo got ya, i was tryin to find an LRP30 on the net butcouldnt find it listed anywhere, dontsuppose u would have a link please? cause im just not for having to constantly spending money and time mucking about with a lost cause!oh and just to clarify if anybody else reading this thinks im taking a digat muscle cars imnot thanx
Old 06-21-2009, 02:02 PM
BudBud

The Associated LRP 30 is the same engine as your Nosram 30. I wanted a Nosram really badly, to get the beautiful red head, but it would have cost me another 40 dollars. Glen

http://www.jespares.com/radio-contro...pullstart.html
Old 06-22-2009, 05:38 PM
sparky 25

I dont think this oneis so expensive, http://www.modelsport.co.uk/?CallFun...n&ItemID=33247

I`ve just got myself a thunder tiger mta4, (monster gt) i might buy this nosram 30rrfor it when i get tired of the original engine,

which probably won`t be too long
Old 06-22-2009, 07:24 PM
BudBud

I wonder what that is US dollars? I would love tohave one!!or two...
Old 06-23-2009, 01:44 PM
wolfie1

hey thanx for the links and both in the uk ace, when i usually roughly work it out at 100us to 55-60 uk pounds, thats some smart engines on that page i quite like the look of the purple 1. what about the cheap 1 at the bottomits almost cheap enough to buy a new 1 when its worn out. but i would rather go on the recomendation of someone who has first hand experience ofan engines reliability i was looking to see if os did a big engine cause i have another truck with a .18 in it and have burned 6-7 gallons through it, totalpiece of cake to tuneand it hasnt missed a beat,out in the winter in the snowunder thebody full of snow cant evenget to the petrol tank lolno problems! but i dontknow if they do
Old 06-23-2009, 01:45 PM
sparky 25

Its about $240,

butyou could always just buy the cooling head off one and install it on one of your lrp30`s

here`s another link to modelsport only this timeits on ebay.co.uk

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nosram-RS-30-R...3A1%7C294%3A50