Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Need Help Tuning W/Vid

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 10:54 AM
FULLYGROWNKID

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Tuning W/Vid

help me out guys... i've been leaning both needles.... got the hsn right to the point where it would cut out on me... backed it up with 2 1/8 turns.... still leaning the lsn tho... keep leaning, or what? the engine has been sealed... and the slipper has been tighten.... i have ran about a half gallon of O'Donnels 20%.... tuning this engine is nothing like the .18 and .21 on my buggys, they run great and temps stay around 240.... my xl temps hit 220-240, but performance isn't there....what gives?.... looking for suggestions and advice.... THANKS!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYn-CHv6L0k

Old 06-27-2009, 02:39 PM
BudBud

Default RE: Need Help Tuning W/Vid

I never tried to tune one on 20 percent, but your engine sounds great. I always ran 30 percent Byron's, O'Donnell's or 30-35 percent Trinity in mine. he best I ever got one to do on the stock pipe was http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVCLxpFJmTs and even then, it was sagging pretty bad on the top side. It usually takes a gallon and a half or so for them to really wake up, if there is such a thing. Too bad they could not have made it with LRP 30 type performance. I also found that some of the polished pipes do not deliver nearly as much fuel pressure as others, making the tune very hard to keep close as the tank goes down. If your local hobby shop has it, grab a quart of Trinty Monster Horsepower in 35 percent and see how your truck runs on that. I always had 260 to 270 run temperatures too. Glen
Old 06-27-2009, 04:46 PM
FULLYGROWNKID

okay thanks, i just ran out of that O'Donnels yesterday.... so i'll pick up a couple gallons of the Trinity....thanks for helping me with this....i really appreciate it!!!
Old 06-27-2009, 05:00 PM
BudBud

I had four of those 5.9s, a fifth one now, I guess. Anyway, two of them just flat would not make any power. I sent one to Supertib and he did a mod on it for me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJqAPcx2qtc It has at least six gallons of fuel through it now and still runs great. But there are so many with broken pistons, I am not sure what to do with it. I hate to run this piston until it blows, but I hate to put in a new one and have it be one of the bad ones. It is running on Picco bearings, a NovaRossi carburetor and an 086 Ofna pipe with a Picco medium hot glow plug. Basically it is a six hundred dollar engine that may out rev, but will not outpull a LRP 30 by much if any. It would be cheaper to buy three LRP 30s and avoid the hassle. It will run very close to a stock Picco 28 on top end, which is pretty impressive for an engine that had me so frustrated, I basically sent Tib to see if he could figure out what was wrong with it. He was going to imrove the timing and got carried away, something sweet and different, but not really magical. Glen
Old 06-27-2009, 07:07 PM
Chris_RC

BudBud, I've tried a couple Trinity fuels, Monster and Platinum, and platinum is much better. If you plan to run higher nitro content fuels, add an extra head shim. I would personally only run up to 30% nitro, and down to 8% oil, even less if it has alot of caster oil in it. That 5.9 looks like a mut engine, meaning something of every brand.

Fullygrownkid, Is the O'Donnell you have the R2R or the Race? I have ran O'Donell R2R and it ran absolutitely HORRIBLE. Temps went from 230 with Byron to 300 with O'D R2R, and the O'D didnt have the crisp throttle response. So when you buy fuel, make sure it is race blend. [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8831801/anchors_8831801/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#8831801]This[/link] thread will help you get good throttle response. Just pinch the line close to the carb and it should idle for about 5 seconds then die. That gives a baseline LSN tune. How many gallons old is the engine/car? The clutch shoes might be worn out. I like to just tune my engines until I feel the engines are powerful but not lean, then take temp. RTR engines like to run hot, so don't be alarmed if you come in after hard running and temp is at 290.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:36 PM
bigwaltc

I also don't have a very good running 5.9. I run Byron's 30%,a 086 pipe, took a head shim out wasted about 1 1/2 gal trying different tune combos. It has about 2 or 2 1/2 gals through it now barely will pull the front wheels up. It runs a lot better now then when it was new. Just waiting to get the money together for a LRP 30 or a Picco [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 06-27-2009, 07:37 PM
BudBud

Chris, Have you messed with one of these K5.9 engines? They are really something different. I see by your signature that you are into race type vehicles. I burned a couple of gallons of Trinity 35 in a K5.9 with no problems, no detonation, great burn pattern. The K5.9 is a turd. Too bad they built a much nicer cooling head than they did a sleeve. The head is really nice. Their timing profiles are horrible, the engine quality is horrible and the engine is definitely all Kingstar.... Just an overbored Axial 32.... with poorer timing. Glen
Old 06-27-2009, 09:03 PM
FULLYGROWNKID

I was using O'Donnels Race, and I have done the pinch test. The engine idled for 4 sec. then revved up and died. My temps never went over 240, no matter how many WOT passes i made. I'm going to pick up some Byron's 30% from the lhs tomorrow and try it. I called today and they don't even carry the Trinity passed 25%. I'm also thinking about ordering the Dynamite 086 pipe, but I don't want to cut into my rc fund to much, i'm trying to save up for the LRP .30, besides that, I heard that the LRP runs better on the 053 pipe. I do wanna get the tune down so that it pulls the wheels up, but as long as it ripping hard i'm good. Its making enough power to outrun all the stray dogs that hang out around the park i run at. so its kool with me!!!
Old 06-27-2009, 10:57 PM
Doctp1885

Fully,

what kind clutch and spring are you using? I had composite clutch and .9 springs (that's all the LHS had at the time) and I would rarely pop wheelies. I noticed my wheels were spinning alot when i pick up my truck. checked everything and found out I had a busted clutch shoe. replaced it with aluminum and now I can pop wheelies everytime on demand. If you use aluminum shoes with 1.0 or 1.1, you might get that wheelies on top of 30% nitro.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:33 PM
FULLYGROWNKID

The shoes and springs all stock. but i will check them for wear and damage tho
Old 06-28-2009, 07:09 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: BudBud

Chris, Have you messed with one of these K5.9 engines? They are really something different. I see by your signature that you are into race type vehicles. I burned a couple of gallons of Trinity 35 in a K5.9 with no problems, no detonation, great burn pattern. The K5.9 is a turd. Too bad they built a much nicer cooling head than they did a sleeve. The head is really nice. Their timing profiles are horrible, the engine quality is horrible and the engine is definitely all Kingstar.... Just an overbored Axial 32.... with poorer timing. Glen
Not sure if it was a 5.9 but I tuned someone's Savage a while ago. I have more vehicles than the one's in my signature, for example rustler, xtm mammoth, losi muggy, and 1 or 2 more I recently sold. RTR engines usually run and tune alot different from race engines but I still tune every engine the same way-my method I posted before. I have heard quite a few Axial horror stories, so if this is almost the same engine.....
Old 06-28-2009, 07:40 PM
rotzilla

i'm not all that im pressed with my 5.9. it tokk over a gal for it to start to come around. finally starting to pull wheelies . mine doesnt seem to run good until 275+ and normally likes it hot for good power.even when its hot it still seems rich. im hopeing it will put out good power and lower temps with the switch to byrons....
Old 06-29-2009, 12:14 AM
BudBud

I can tell you that an Axial 32 is a much nicer engine to tune and live with than the 5.9. I never had anything that I fought so much, I have somehwere around 30 plus nitro vehicles and engines of all sizes, I started this mess back in 1968. The 5.9 is on an island by itself, at least that is where they should be. Given that, I still enjoyed running them and helping others troubleshoot theirs.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:13 PM
rotzilla

i agree with you glen, i fight with mine all the time. you have stay right on top of them and even then. just met a guy @ my lhs and hes haveing all kind of temp issues...