Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

BigJoes and Velocity 40 series wheels on Savage X

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

BigJoes and Velocity 40 series wheels on Savage X

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 09:29 PM
hghflyrjd1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BigJoes and Velocity 40 series wheels on Savage X

I just got these and they are 14mm hex hubs. I got the hubs. But the stock X wheel nuts won't fit IN the wheel to bolt on the X nuts have like that extra washer on it. What is everyone useing to bolt them on.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:36 PM
-SomeGuy-

Default RE: BigJoes and Velocity 40 series wheels on Savage X

The stock savage 25 nuts.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXM849&P=OW
Old 07-02-2009, 10:50 PM
hghflyrjd1

Ok ill give those a try. I know these are heavey and all that and will slow me down some ETC. but is it that tough on the diffs and stuff I have XL shimed diffs. Running 16 47. And a 200+oz servo. I got em new for 40 bucks so I figured there worth trying.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:36 PM
Revomad1

I use Axial oversize 8 spoke wheels (same as 40 series). They use 17mm hubs. They look better than the Proline wheels also IMO.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:21 AM
hghflyrjd1

I like the axials also but not for the price of 40 bucks. What damage could these huge wheels and tires cause??
Old 07-03-2009, 08:35 AM
paedbo
My Feedback: (2)

I have savage x 4.6 with the axial's and big joe's, the 4.6 has one head shim removed and running on 20% with a cold plug. We beat the crap out of that truck. Thing's that have broke with 5 foot jumps have been 2 spur's , 1 from a rock and the other i believe because I poorly meshed it ( Engine was cocked alittle although the play felt right ). A bent dogbone. A broken front diff pinion gear. And recently the ball cups that hold the rear wheel's straight are now poppin off like crazy and need replacing. Wheel's are getting alittle sloppy. so the carrier or wheel bearing's might need to be looked at soon. I have now set the low speed needle alittle rich just to tame the wheelie drive train killing start's. A 12 and 14 year old drive it mainly. They are not easy on it. They can barely land jumps because they think the only way to fly is full speed all the time (Even over jumps). They've landed it at least a dozen times with full throttle. Which thank goodness they have stopped since they realized i was going to yell at them at the top of my lungs everytime they do it lol.

Overall I think it was worth it. I got tired of chasing a savage that tipped over every time you turned it at 1/2 throttle or above.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:35 AM
Revomad1

ORIGINAL: hghflyrjd1

I like the axials also but not for the price of 40 bucks. What damage could these huge wheels and tires cause??
That's for bead locks. Bead locks are heavy and they don't hold tires well. I use the 8 spoke glue on wheels. They are less than $30 for a set of 4 at Tower hobbies. Here's a pic: