Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Out with Nirto In with Electric?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 04:31 PM
SureToCrash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Out with Nirto In with Electric?

ORIGINAL: thzero

Um, no. The Flux is no better or worse than any of the X series of trucks for racing. I think SavageSam has demonstrated that to the extreme with both his X and Flux version of his slammed racer.

ORIGINAL: black mamba
Of all the Savages, the Flux is the most race capable of them all. lol
I did not mean to say the Flux couldn't race, just that the stock setup is "not racer or even a true MT" (this is direct from a HPI rep- not my words). The flux is power machine designed to go in a straight line and get big air basically. You cannot achieve the 65mph without a tire change. I haven't even been able to hit WOT because the smallest steering correction will send the truck cartwheeling. I've been meaning to get out to a large field so I can hit WOT by letting it wander wherever it wants but haven't had time yet.[&o]
Old 07-25-2009, 06:44 PM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Um, no. The Flux is no better or worse than any of the X series of trucks for racing. I think SavageSam has demonstrated that to the extreme with both his X and Flux version of his slammed racer.

BudBud I have a MMM in a RC8Te (I have an XXXT, so wanted to try different brand in my truggy... 'sides, I still think its a shame neither Losi is part of Losi anymore) and even with two 2s 4800MaH packs its a blast so I imagine an 8ight-T 2.0 would be just as wild. Probably more controllable without monkeying with ESC settings than the Flux due to the center diff. Although in grass, especially deeper grass, you gotta be careful of the engine temps. Nitro seems to have less of an issue with this.

I meant the Flux is the most race capable OUT OF THE BOX without touching a thing. Bigsquid raced one right out of the box and it ran around the track like no box stock nitro Savage could ever run. At one time they had video on their website. Maybe it's still there? lol
Old 07-25-2009, 06:46 PM
black mamba

ORIGINAL: SureToCrash

I did not mean to say the Flux couldn't race, just that the stock setup is ''not racer or even a true MT'' (this is direct from a HPI rep- not my words). The flux is power machine designed to go in a straight line and get big air basically. You cannot achieve the 65mph without a tire change. I haven't even been able to hit WOT because the smallest steering correction will send the truck cartwheeling. I've been meaning to get out to a large field so I can hit WOT by letting it wander wherever it wants but haven't had time yet.[&o]
Get yourself a Castlelink adapter. It'll be the best $20 you have ever spent so far. lol
Old 07-25-2009, 06:49 PM
black mamba

ORIGINAL: hydroboy

I'll agree with you about the RX pack being a pain, mine won't hold a charge for more than 2 days after one tank. But the roto? Dump that POS I swapped th a pull and have never been happier.

I've got a couple of electrics and its just not the same, and lets face it those battery boxes hanging off the sides are butt *** ugly!!
Where else are you going to put the packs? Not too much room to stick stuff on a Savage TVP setup, especially big 3S packs. lol
Old 07-26-2009, 01:54 PM
thzero

Um, it depends on your type of racing I suppose. If the Flux has any advantage over a nitro Savage it means you don't have to do break-in and tuning of the engine, so yes you could take it out of the box and go at it.

As a platform, its no more capable or less capable of a racer, considering the Savages were built for bashing. There is no denying the power and easy (not to mention cost) of brushless. But its also more of an 'instant' gratification. As much as I enjoy my converted RC8T, I'm taking more pride in getting my Savage with its LRP 30 up and running...

I meant the Flux is the most race capable OUT OF THE BOX without touching a thing. Bigsquid raced one right out of the box and it ran around the track like no box stock nitro Savage could ever run. At one time they had video on their website. Maybe it's still there? lol
Old 07-26-2009, 02:17 PM
supertib

I agree, I have been bashing with a Flux and its definitely alot more stable and controlled then any nitro Savage I have run, the layout of the Flux has a much lower COG and it shows when driving it..... unfortunately we still have crunched a few diffs on the Flux, but when it is running the performance is quite good for a Savage.....
Old 07-26-2009, 04:18 PM
hydroboy
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: hydroboy

I'll agree with you about the RX pack being a pain, mine won't hold a charge for more than 2 days after one tank. But the roto? Dump that POS I swapped th a pull and have never been happier.

I've got a couple of electrics and its just not the same, and lets face it those battery boxes hanging off the sides are butt *** ugly!!
Where else are you going to put the packs? Not too much room to stick stuff on a Savage TVP setup, especially big 3S packs. lol
Mamba I'm not saying that ripping one aroud wouldn't be fun and I don't know where else to put those batteries........... but they are about as cool looking as a brick with wheels!!
Old 07-26-2009, 04:48 PM
black mamba

I hear ya man. The battery boxes are not one of the high points of the Flux, but they are about as good as it's going to get until the aftermarket steps up and makes better ones. lol
Old 07-27-2009, 09:14 AM
SureToCrash

Get yourself a Castlelink adapter. It'll be the best $20 you have ever spent so far. lol
Have it. I'm just being stubborn about leaving it at stock settings. The power is addictive.[sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 07-31-2009, 12:00 AM
hydroboy
My Feedback: (1)

Well I just got a spanking from the moderators for using the a certain acronym to describe the "wonderfully junky rotostart" that I have come to vehemently dislike, as my post evidently displayed vulgar forum ediquette I feel the need to apolgize to my RC Bretheren and their young ones. Alas you may want to never let them leave the house as there may be worse out there. I thought that term would really only be offensive when directed at an individual or group of people. But lets face it rotos have feelings too![&o] Again this is really an apology.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:34 AM
gonggongboy

I bought a charger off of Xheli.com for $50. Real nice charger can do up to 6s lipo. Then i bought a couple of Batteries for $30 just mess with until i get my Zippies
Old 07-31-2009, 03:41 PM
boats4life

I got my Flux a month ago I've been running Venom 5400 3s and burned out the clutch twice and now I killed the drive gear. Are these batteries too much for the truck? I sent it back to HPI they are going to fix it for free (great customer service). Should I get smaller batteries when I get it back to make it more dependable?
Old 07-31-2009, 03:43 PM
boats4life

I hear ya man. The battery boxes are not one of the high points of the Flux, but they are about as good as it's going to get until the aftermarket steps up and makes better ones. lol
I was ty wrapping them after one of the batteries flew out of the truck.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:59 PM
SureToCrash

ORIGINAL: boats4life

I keep hearing this happens but have not yet experienced it. I haven't even had a rubber strap pop off. I gotta wonder if you guys are making your batteries "snug" enough in the tray.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:58 PM
MadManAndrew

Yes! Out with that darn "Nirto"!
Old 08-01-2009, 06:21 AM
boats4life

ORIGINAL: SureToCrash

ORIGINAL: boats4life

I keep hearing this happens but have not yet experienced it. I haven't even had a rubber strap pop off. I gotta wonder if you guys are making your batteries ''snug'' enough in the tray.
The 5400's are actually too wide and bow out the boxes so the straps didn't hold