Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

New engine for xl

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 12:35 PM
wolfie1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New engine for xl

I have just taken delivery of an lrp zr 30 spec2 for my xl following budbud and others on this site speaking so highly of it so was just wanting any tips on it please i am running the standard 5.9 exhaust and 30% fuel
Old 08-27-2009, 03:22 PM
sparky 25

Default RE: New engine for xl

I have been running mine with the stock xss pipe, its probably the same pipe which is on the xl,

and it run fine but suffered severe half tank lean,

i have just switched to the 053pipe and what a difference it makes to tank pressure,

also the performace allround has improved greatly,

i have been running mine on 25% byrons and it makes plenty of power, hope yours runs as good as mine,

enjoy.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:43 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

yes to the pipe thing i believe hpi said it was a new pipe at one point but if you check the stock #'s then you'll soon find that they are the same... [&o] which is annoying cuz the xl could've benifted from a better pipe at least...

the lug
Old 08-28-2009, 12:34 AM
wolfie1

Well if the standard pipe given runnin problems under half a tank i will just have to have a look into that pipe, what is it im lookin for a 053 a link would be good or the name of a shop which supplies it thanks
Old 08-28-2009, 06:49 AM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNUL5&P=7
thats the 053^
and here's the ever so popular 086
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXMVY1&P=ML

the lug
Old 08-28-2009, 06:58 PM
BudBud

I think mine runs much better on the 053 than the 086, very few engines have I found that to be true.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:30 PM
enoctis

ORIGINAL: BudBud

I think mine runs much better on the 053 than the 086, very few engines have I found that to be true.
Glen, the man, the myth. Yes, I'm intoxicated. None-the-less I have a question that is best suited to be answered by you. I am thinking of purchasing the ofna 053. The exhaust port & return line elbow on the 053 is 180º opposite the stock XL pipe. In order to have the exhaust port face downward, the return line elbow will have to face the chassis. Please let me know what, if any, problems I might run into when installing this pipe.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:08 AM
BudBud

None, that is the way I run mine. The stinger down and the elbow towards the chassis. You may have to gring a little off of the header flange for some starters. On the one below, I rotated it out a little, but later I switched to stinger down. Glen

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17478.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	1265121  
Old 08-29-2009, 10:26 AM
enoctis

Thanks Glen. Another question is how do you prime your engine with a pull start and the return line next to the chassis? Plugging the stinger and pulling the starter seems like it could take a minute. Why don't they make an inline squeeze-style pump for the return line? That just seems to make a whole lot of sense to me. If one hasn't been invented already I might be onto something.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:00 AM
SLAYERDUDE

You could get one of these but I have seen guys have problems with them.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXFUD3&P=8
Old 08-29-2009, 02:58 PM
bigwaltc

ORIGINAL: enoctis

Thanks Glen. Another question is how do you prime your engine with a pull start and the return line next to the chassis? Plugging the stinger and pulling the starter seems like it could take a minute. Why don't they make an inline squeeze-style pump for the return line? That just seems to make a whole lot of sense to me. If one hasn't been invented already I might be onto something.
It only takes 2 or 3 pulls of the pull start to prime mine [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 08-29-2009, 03:54 PM
Revomad1

ORIGINAL: enoctis

I just installed one of these. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFUD3&P=7 Your one way bearing should last longer if you use one of these.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:47 PM
wolfie1

wow thats 1 cool lookin engine what is it its massive? i have seen all the posts about sealing engines is it just old engines that gets done to?, well i have just got my lrp30 and put 6 tanks through it would i be worthwhile taking it out and sealing it up?
Old 08-29-2009, 07:01 PM
BudBud

I just carry about a foot of fuel line and unhook at the fuel tank lid to prime to the carburetor.

Wolfie, if your engine is doing everything right, just leave it sealed up. The SH or LRP engines have a long history of reliable service and I am not aware of any major air leaking problems with them. I just sealed the backing plate on mine, mainly because I was curious and wanted to tear it down to see the new rod and crank design. Glen
Old 08-29-2009, 07:12 PM
wolfie1

it certainly is a fair beast of an engine its just "bigger" and chunkier than the 5.9, i see these 2 ofna pipes are very popular but know anything arout the lrp's monster exhaust they make which matches up with the engine?