Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

4 stroke savage x

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 08:55 PM
Dman250

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 stroke savage x

I really love 4 stroke engines. I really woudlnt mind have one for my savage x so here's my question. Have any of you ever done this; if so what gearing did you use, what exhaust, how did you convert it to fit if you did, how do you start it and most importanly; what engine did you use? I really look forward to some positive replies on this one. Help me out guys.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:18 PM
Damo_MadTruck

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 4 stroke savage x

Here is a video of a Savage with twin 4 stroke engines:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioGFZEAa90A[/youtube]
Old 09-11-2009, 11:17 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You really need to do a search. Such conversions are rare at best, there are less than 5 conversions I've seen so far. Gearing you can always mix and match CBs and Spurs from different vehicles, its mounting the clutch onto the crank shaft which is the kicker. The 4-stroke crank is about 1-2mm thicker than our cranks. Another issue is starting it, very limited options with the Savage platform. If you think you have the money and time to go through with this, be prepared to have fun sifting through forums finding out how people did theirs, cause the only person who has a 4-stroke in a Savage in this forum is SportsFans and he doesn't have a clutch for it and the project has come to a halt. Not a piece of cake. If you get around the clutch and starting, you need to fabricate a new engine mount, as well as need a custom air filter and new throttle linkage, just some of the hurdles...
Old 09-12-2009, 12:48 AM
wolfie1

Im a fan of 4 stroke engines as well, i also have a savage xl and looked into this sh make good engines and they make a 4 stroke. I got sick of the reliability of the 5.9 and was looking into other options but 4 strokes i was advised no cause they are just so heavy and they dont rev the same but yea i think "if" you could get it to work right it would be awsome but thats just my opinion
Old 09-12-2009, 02:41 AM
Damo_MadTruck

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is another rc with a 4 stroke engine:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igEw0Hb1m0Y[/youtube]

Looks like a great engine for racing.

They use one of these 4 stroke engines: http://www.osengines.com/engines/airplane.html
Old 09-12-2009, 01:41 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

4-strokes are great once you get past their limitations in comparison with our 2-strokes.. Pulling up random videos of 4-stroke converted vehicles doesn't do anyone any good. I mean I've seen 5 or less conversions specifically for the Savage, there are a lot of conversions out there but applied on different platforms which may be easier to get rid of the kinks like starting and engine mounting.

Here is an old pic of mine for reference on the crank size and general size of the engine.

Old 09-12-2009, 03:05 PM
jbooker82
My Feedback: (4)

In one of my rc mags they did a 4 stroke crawler. For starting they used a ring gear and pinion out of a diff. Mount the ring gear to the flywheel. Then had a pinino with a diff cup in it coming in from the side. It was spring loaded too. That way you put your roto start shaft into the diff cup, push and it would engage the ring gear. Then when you let off the pinion would retract and dissengage the flywheel.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:02 PM
SAVAGEJIM

I remember that 4stroker crawler, that was the tamiya Thumper in XRC. Looks way cool, but when the engine goes into neutral, they need to address the RC rrolling backwards.