Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Need to make my Savage faster.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 01:32 PM
quietnas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need to make my Savage faster.

Ok here is the deal. I have frepnd that is a total newbie to the hobby. He bought a Savage X4.6 and I helped him break his motor in and showed him how to tune. Now he is getting alot of info from the LHS and they talked him into getting a 3 speed and now he is bragging how he is going to run circles around me. I laughed at him but now I need to run circles around him and keeo my 2 speed. Any suggestions?
Old 04-01-2010, 02:15 PM
The Pope NJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need to make my Savage faster.

There are a ton of ways to do that need more info on what you have though and what you are looking to spend.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:15 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

picco .28 or a lrp .30
Old 04-01-2010, 03:24 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well in a straight line, hes gonna have you.. But on a course, no way, the 3 speed shifts like crazy lol.. Invest in a solid engine, Picco .28 is the way to be..
Old 04-01-2010, 04:02 PM
quietnas1

ORIGINAL: The Pope NJ

There are a ton of ways to do that need more info on what you have though and what you are looking to spend.

I have a copletely stock Savage X4.6 also. I have heard alot of things about the Picco and LRP engines. Any input on the Dnamite Big Red? Also as far as budget not a problem yet.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:42 PM
quietnas1

Oh crap what I meant to say is I have heard alot of GOOD thpngs about those engines.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:40 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

i've heard a lot of good things about the Big Red with an 086 and may get one myslef....
but most ppl will say you can't go wrong with a picco or lrp

the lug
Old 04-01-2010, 07:28 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

also could strap 30 estes model rocket engines to the back and rig up a igniter to channel 3 of a controller
Old 04-01-2010, 08:37 PM
steed2-inactive

i have a 3 speed savage and a 2 speed savage and to be honest they both accelerate about the same.....to keep it simple ....run a cold plug and buy 30 percent nitro....get her tuned in crispy and youll be ahead....if you are good at tuning you will be impressed with the improvement 30 percent gives an f4.6.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:30 PM
KID_EVIL!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think steed is right about the 3 vs. the 2 speed. My brother has a 2 and I HAD a 3 in mine and we'd drag race and it became more of a game of keeping it straight long enough to win. If you got the right tune it's gonna want to rip anyway. Besides just a bigger motor won't win you a race anyway. That's all part of owning the truck, completetly tuning the whole truck to YOUR likeing and style.

KID EVIL!
Old 04-02-2010, 11:38 AM
quietnas1

thanks for all the advise guys. I have a pretty good tune on it and already run Maxys 30% nitro. He is running 20% Basher fuel which I never heard of.

I was thinking of getting a Spur and Clutch Bell combo from Robinson Racing, O86 pipe for now, and geting a medium plug No. 8 from OS. What Spur and Bell combo should i get for better top end? I also switched to the UFO rims with the Mayhem tires. I have no issues at all with it shifting into second gear. Also later on I want to get the ERCM pipe.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:42 PM
rcnitrohead

Well for one thing, if you keep those wheels and tires on for whatever racing your doing... You will lose... Unless his truck is setup and tuned so badly that it runs like crap.. I'm not sure what that F4.6 can pull, but I used to run 18/47 on my STS which was the tallest gearing I could fit in my truck, it hauled some major @$$ on the top end. Now on the Picco .28 I have, I'm running 18/49, and with the S-25 tires, it will wheelie the truck on demand in second gear (2WD) and the top speed is nice, any bump I hit the truck catches air...

So I'd say for the F4.6, 17/49 would be a good starting point (isnt that stock?).. Then theres 17/47, 18/49, 18/47, 19/49, etc.. Depending on how much gearing that engine can push, and if you can even fit the engine in there..
Old 04-02-2010, 07:04 PM
BudBud

Acceleration suffered quite a bit, but you can get stupid ground speed running a Picco 28, Terra Pins, 18/47 gears, two speed and a 086 pipe...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExDPpRdj_Vg

A fellow member said his truck ran fine on Terra Pins with 18/47 gears, not sure what fine was, but I found it to be too much gear.

On the other end of the scale, you could run a stock Picco 28, a three speed, 17/47 and an 086 in an X chassis and flip it on it lid whenever you wanted to....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3VAeFc7_uw

Glen
Old 04-02-2010, 08:38 PM
quietnas1

Has any one ever try porting the F4.6? Just a thought to try and make it look like a sleeper.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:46 PM
rcnitrohead

Well any engine well benefit from modification, unless its some high end race mill straight from the factory (and I'm talking $500MRs or something)... Porting itself wont be anything crazy, but it should give you the edge your seeking. Just make sure you do the proper reading before taking a dremel to your sleeve, and make sure you have a steady hand.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:58 PM
quietnas1

Nah I will let a pro handle that. Same peope that make Maxys Nitro fuel also do engpne mods and they are local.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:28 AM
rcnitrohead

I'd suggest trying yourself if your into it at all.. Its a stock engine, might as well have some fun. You can start with porting, which is very basic, and learn about timing and whatnot. I did my first mod job for my STS .30, and it flat out flew after the things I did. I didn't touch the timing other than cutting the crank face a bit altering balance, but it was a good learning experience and my engine was a monster. Up to you [8D]
Old 04-03-2010, 07:23 AM
quietnas1

Well I'm pretty good with a Dremel when it comes to other things. I guess I will research it and see how hard or easy it may be. Thanks for the advise.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:04 AM
Nesal

Let us know if you decide to do it!! I wouldnt mind giving it a shot!
Old 04-03-2010, 03:46 PM
rcnitrohead

No prob! Here was my first attempt:

Stock:

Modded:

The crank face was an attempt to copy one of Rick Brake's designs for that particular engine. Here are the attachments I used, though a carbide bit would work wonders... HSS sucks for this.

Tom.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:45 PM
quietnas1

Not to bad for a first attempt. I actually have an old OS .12 and .15 that I'm going to practice with. If all goes well then I will do the F4.6. if not then I will take it to the pros. Thanks again to everyone here I really appreciate all the input.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:27 AM
head_hunter

Is a F4.1 even worth the time of moddifing? It has been a good motor the first one went about 6 gallons and broke the crank. I was going to get a 28 but HPI replaced the motor . So now I have 2 gallons through the new one. Would it be too late to mode? This motor needs a lot more power!
Old 04-04-2010, 09:15 AM
quietnas1

Well I have been doing some reading up on engine porting and really from what I have read any engine will benefit from porting. If you do it yourself then its free horse power. Some engpnes are not worth paying some one to do it. For that you can spend the extra $85.00 - $150.00 and get a new engine withbetter performance. But again if you port it yourself its free horse power.

I just want to blow the doors off my freinds truck without making it look like I did much to it. If he sees the stock engine sitting there he cant cry about me having an unfair advantage. He has only been in the hobby a few weeks and he swears he knows it all. Just want him to see that you cant mess with 16yrs of experience eventhough I am new to the Monster Truck scene.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:05 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Honestly, just play with the gearing and see what you like(stock gearing is pretty hard to beat with a stock engine), and then make sure your engine is tuned perfect along with the shift point being just right, and maybe a good pipe for the most RPM you can get out of the engine. The 3 speed is probably going to help him get out of the hole better than anything with its low 1st gear.

Eric
Old 04-04-2010, 09:38 PM
rcnitrohead

Is a F4.1 even worth the time of moddifing? It has been a good motor the first one went about 6 gallons and broke the crank. I was going to get a 28 but HPI replaced the motor . So now I have 2 gallons through the new one. Would it be too late to mode? This motor needs a lot more power!
The engine you see up there, was modded at 9.5 gallons or so.. Its never too late to mod, but of course paying someone to mod a high mileage engine would be pretty dumb... That engine lasted over a half gallon longer, till the piston retaining assembly exploded.. Too bad, I really loved that engine- but I have a Picco .28 now and cant wait to work some magic on this one [8D][>:].

Quietnas- Try some porting on your engine right now, it will definitely give you the edge. Just make sure you do your research and do it right, and you'll be surprised. Have fun with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.