Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Help to ID noise on Savage

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 11:34 PM
md7989
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help to ID noise on Savage

Hey guys, I've decided not to sell my newly assembled Savage (great choice right? lol) and get it broke in and running hopefully over this coming week. But tonight when I was looking over things, I hooked up my freshly charged 6v 3000mah hump pack and was just rolling it around by hand on the floor and turning the wheels and trying to lock up the brakes. This is where I noticed my potential problem (at least I hope not):

When rolling it along quickly by hand and then applying full brake instantly, I am hearing a sound that almost sounds like some type of grinding. When rolling it around and gradually applying the brakes I don't get the noise, but when going to 100% brake very fast the noise can be heard.

Any ideas on what may be casing this? I bought it a month or so back form a reputable seller on here and the only things I have done to it are add my own TX/RX & battery and installed (but not yet broke in) the Axial .32. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

-Mike
Old 05-09-2010, 04:30 AM
wolfie1

Default RE: Help to ID noise on Savage

it only does it when you brake? sounds to me like a brake problem then, does it have metal discs, are the pads worn are corodded and need cleaning up with a good run? my traxxas slayer does that if it was wet the last time i had it out the disc corrodes and makes a noise, a run alwys sorts it out
Old 05-09-2010, 06:45 AM
claccytim

I had a similar thing, is it a sort of clicking grinding noise? If so check the brake assembly, the hex that slots through the centre of the brake disk had, a groove worn through the corners so that under heavy braking the disk slips round instead of slowing the drive train
Old 05-09-2010, 09:26 AM
md7989

ORIGINAL: claccytim

I had a similar thing, is it a sort of clicking grinding noise? If so check the brake assembly, the hex that slots through the centre of the brake disk had, a groove worn through the corners so that under heavy braking the disk slips round instead of slowing the drive train
Thanks man, I will check that out, as it seems to be a pretty good idea of what it might be...so what was the fix, just buying the new hex that the brake disk is mounted on?

Old 05-09-2010, 10:08 AM
claccytim

I just bought the dual metal disk set, which comes with a metal hex to replace the worn plastc one

actually come to think of it the conversion comes with a flat sided drive cup, which gives a much better contact between the disk and drive input to the tranny
Old 05-09-2010, 10:13 AM
md7989

I just bought the dual metal disk set, which comes with a metal hex to replace the worn plastc one

actually come to think of it the conversion comes with a flat sided drive cup, which gives a much better contact between the disk and drive input to the tranny
Well, after looking at it everything is fine on the brake setup. I didn't take time to mention earlier that my truck has the dual disk setup on it, so therefore the metal hex as well.

Hmm, what could this noise be?

Old 05-09-2010, 10:20 AM
claccytim

in your first post, you said newly assembled, is this a new truck, or second hand?
Old 05-09-2010, 11:28 AM
md7989

in your first post, you said newly assembled, is this a new truck, or second hand?
Second hand...I basically took it apart to a certain extent, cleaned it up more, and then installed my electronics and new motor and gears.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:32 AM
claccytim

ok, does it feel at all notchy when you roll the truck by hand? if so it may be worth checking the diffs, as on the earlier models, the bevel gear on the input shaft inside the diffs have a habit of losing teeth
Old 05-09-2010, 12:06 PM
md7989

ok, does it feel at all notchy when you roll the truck by hand? if so it may be worth checking the diffs, as on the earlier models, the bevel gear on the input shaft inside the diffs have a habit of losing teeth
Does not really feel nothcy when rolling it, just when hitting the brakes. I'm trying to upload a video to YouTube right now...I'll post a link when it's up.

I hope it's not the diff, as the guy I bought it from had good ratings and said it ran fine and was in good mechanical shape...

Old 05-09-2010, 12:43 PM
md7989

Here's the link to the video...not the best quality due to going from my cell phone, but hopefully you can get an idea:

www.youtube.com/watch

Old 05-09-2010, 12:51 PM
claccytim

sorry to say it, but that does sound like teeth jumping to me, check the diffs to be safe, as if you run it like that you may damage more gears,
Old 05-09-2010, 01:40 PM
md7989

sorry to say it, but that does sound like teeth jumping to me, check the diffs to be safe, as if you run it like that you may damage more gears,
Well crap, so how in depth is it to get to the diffs? I've got the manual with all of the exploded parts views...dang, so I assume that means having to take out the motor, pull of the chassis plates, etc., etc. then right? lol

Old 05-09-2010, 02:32 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: md7989

Well crap, so how in depth is it to get to the diffs? I've got the manual with all of the exploded parts views...dang, so I assume that means having to take out the motor, pull of the chassis plates, etc., etc. then right? lol

You do not have to pull off the engine of TVP plates. You only have to dismount 6 screws and pull out the removable half of the diff housing to get the diff out.
The only time you have to pull off a TVP is if you have the older Savages (Pre-Savage-X)
Old 05-09-2010, 03:38 PM
-SomeGuy-

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

You do not have to pull off the engine of TVP plates. You only have to dismount 6 screws and pull out the removable half of the diff housing to get the diff out.
The only time you have to pull off a TVP is if you have the older Savages (Pre-Savage-X)
From looking at the radio box and TVPs it looks like a pre-X savage. You could start by removing the skid plate to get a look at the gears before tearing it down all the way. Take a look at the front first since this is where the weight shifts to under braking.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:31 PM
md7989

Yeah, it's a savage 25 from back in the day.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:49 PM
doug702
My Feedback: (1)

i was gonna recomend to check your diffs it might be a bad gear  or gears or the lash may not be set right hopefully this helps i had a mammoth and tmaxx that ahd the same noise on the mammoth it was gear lash and on the maxx it was a bad spider gear good luck
Old 05-09-2010, 08:52 PM
md7989

Hey guys, news update!!! So I torn off everything I needed to get a view of the pinion and ring gears in both diffs and they are fine...however, the rear driveshaft from the tranny to the rear diff seems to be too short, as I started spinning the rear tires very fast by hand and hit the brakes and noticed that the shaft came out of its cup on the tranny end...here's some pics:

Can you guys explain how I might be able to fix this? The noise definitely came from this shaft like this.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:35 AM
claccytim

1 fix for this would be to takethe shaft out, cut 2 lengths of fuel tubing to about 5 mm in length, and place 1 piece in each drive cup before reassembly, this will space the shaft and keep it more central.to be honest, i have done this to all of my drivecups, simply to remove slop, and reduce wear
Old 05-10-2010, 07:53 AM
md7989

Thanks, I will try that this evening.

1 fix for this would be to takethe shaft out, cut 2 lengths of fuel tubing to about 5 mm in length, and place 1 piece in each drive cup before reassembly, this will space the shaft and keep it more central.to be honest, i have done this to all of my drivecups, simply to remove slop, and reduce wear
Old 05-10-2010, 02:12 PM
md7989

Well I tried the fuel line on the ends of the driveshafts and it helped with the slop in them, but I've now narrowed down that the noise is coming from the transmission...what do you guys think is going on inside there for it to make this noise?

The diffs are freshly greased up and spin super smooth when the shafts are out and no teeth in the diffs are missing.

How much would a new transmission cost? Or a rebuild kit?
Old 05-10-2010, 04:30 PM
-SomeGuy-

How much would a new transmission cost? Or a rebuild kit?
http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-HPI-SAVAGE-X-...item483a7fe018
Old 05-10-2010, 06:11 PM
gonggongboy

It may just be normal transmission noise from the gears. They dont have quite interanals at all.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:54 PM
djyjrlz

i have a similar noise coming from my savage ss 4.6 and it seems that after checking it over piece by piece that nothing is broken or worn, i think is just a normal noise on the older savages. the only difference is that under 100% braking the wheels on my car just stop (which is ok 'cos the tyres are quite skiddy) but the noise is only under almost full braking.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:14 PM
inf3rn0gt

I have the SAME exact issue. I pulled the front diff out and drove it... slammed the brakes and silence....from what I understand is that we need to shim the diff . Use google to do a search and you find the how to...