Community
Search
Notices
Ikarus Aerofly flight simulators Get the answers to your technical questions about Ikarus' Aerofly flight simulators here in their official support forum

Couple of questions about AFPD

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 08:07 PM
Liquid 3D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of questions about AFPD

Hey hows it going. My copy of AFPD will be arriving tomorrow. Yay! Anyways, I just had a couple of questions.

My first question is this... I am going to be using the G2 controller, will I be able to set dual rates to one of the switches on there? Or is that only and option if you use the rates setting on your own radio? I am asking this because I was a little confused earlier reading a post about dual rates and expos and just wanted to make sure.

My other question was... Right now I play G2 and The planes fly pretty good stock but as soon as you start tweaking stuff and also downloading planes for 3d, they do those moves but then don't fly realisticly in regular flight... I have read a couple of posts about people changing things up in deluxe too. Like on the extra and the foamy. I thought the planes in deluxe didn't really need tweaking. Like 6.0volts per batt on the foamy...does this make it un-realistic at all? Or are these just things that you normally adjust on your real models as well. Basically I'm asking, is everything that people are tweaking in deluxe things that they could do to their real model and also do the models still fly realisticly in all other aspects when these tweaks are done.

Oh, last question, what is prop wash? I saw it mentioned in one of the afpd foamy tweak posts.

Sorry, I haven't been flying long and all I have done at the field so far is fly my dads H9 edge 540 in ovals and play g2. I can hover and do rolling harriers on g2 but I am really waiting on deluxe to become confident with the sticks as I know it is known to be much more like the real thing when it comes to aerobatics. G2 taught me the basic sticks. Flying in ovals. Landings...rolls..blabla, now deluxe will really let me develop my stick skills.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:00 PM
whoover619

Default RE: Couple of questions about AFPD

the only reason people are tweaking the planes is to make them perform monuevers more smoothly but it can throw the realistic touch of the simulator off is you don't know what your doing although i'm not saying not to tweak it because i do it alot, it help with getting used to the simulator, the planes are realistic as stock, they fly great, and real flight g2 doesn't have the 3d/aerobatic capabitities that aeroflypro/arpd has.

If you add more propwash to a certain surface it makes it more monuverable, i think it uses the wind that comes from the engines, because as ur flying the wind outside and your prop wind hits the control surface which gets deflected by the surface causeing it to monuever better.

Yes your stick skill will improve alot depending on how often you use the simulator. I use it often because i cannot get to the field as much as i would like. It has helped me alot.
The simulator is very realistic.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:06 PM
rusirius

Well, I don't actually have my AFPD yet (I'm getting it tommorow as well), but I can take a stab at a couple of your questions....

The G2 controller will not allow you to use dual rates... AFPD doesn't have dual rates built into it (only expo), so it relies on a radio for that function... If your using the G2 radio, since it doesn't actually support dual rates itself (it uses software), it won't work...

The stock AFPD planes should fly incrediably realistic... The tweaks you see people doing are basically to "improve" their performance for 3D... Can you do some of the things with a real one? Probably not... But the skills you can learn can help in real life....

Prop Wash is the stuff you use when you get grass stains on the prop... It's a detergent that .... Sorry... had to do it.... Prop wash is basically "air flow" over a control surface that is generated by the PROP rather than by airspeed.... For example, if you are coming in for a landing and kick the rudder to yaw the plane, the rudder is using air rushing by because of your airspeed..... When you do a stall turn however, the plane isn't moving at all when you kick it around, your relying on "prop wash" to kick the tail and spin the plane in that case....
Old 12-22-2004, 09:30 PM
Liquid 3D

Thanks I really appreciate the answers. Also, I have to say awwww man about the dual rates. I know my dad will not let me touch his nice futaba world champion edition radio. I guess I'll to sell some rc car stuff to really get into the hobby and invest in a radio. I have a car worth about 1500 resale value I might have to let it go! I love planes there is so much dimension!
Old 12-22-2004, 10:15 PM
ehart

You might want to keep an eye on ebay. Several folks have reported finding transmitters there for $30-$40 that they dedicate to AFP. Look for one with dual rates.

I don't think the Game Commander version, which includes a dummy transmitter, and which I have ordered, supports dual rates, but Dion will correct me if I am wrong.

- Eric
Old 12-23-2004, 12:29 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Dual rates can only be detected by your radio. So if your radio has dual rates, AFP will have dual rates. The new Commander will have 2 switches and a dial. However no dual rates. Dual rates have to be programmed in unless the radio support it with little rayostats.

AFP will do whatever your radio can do right out of the box.

Get a digital radio with 6 channels for AFP. Get a JR digital if you can, they last the longest. At least mine do.

Propwash will make that control surface more stable. It causes airflow and vacuum/pressure to make the control surface lock into the air around it. Now sometimes you don't want a lot of propwash because you want the plane to be a little slippery, that's how it does more fancy manuevers.

But on a ShockFlyer you want it to cut through the air like a razor blade and not slide around, rather react perfectly to your inputs. So in this case you want more propwash. The default setting is too low in the box. However that has nothing to do with a real "tweak". In other words your not faking the plane to do something that AFP did not design it to do. They just didn't add enough propwash.

Same with lots of planes. They are not setup real hot like something QQ would fly. They are setup light to moderate. Not overpowered and not over controlled. They start on the low end because they don't want to scare you. If you put your thumbs on one of Chips or QQ's planes, it would scare the hell out of you ... believe me.

But like I said many times, the physics are real. These are not "tweaks" like you think they are. These are just improvements to the performance.

D
Old 12-23-2004, 06:01 AM
Liquid 3D

Thanks for the great support. The forum is great because we get answers from other users and you (stlpilot) so fast. Thanks a bunch..now...I just have to wait, mine will be here today. I will be playing on my dads alienware untill about jan 2nd when my new custom laptop will be arriving...
17 widescreen high resolution w/ bright view
P4 3.2 ghz with hyper threading
1GB high speed RAM
80 GB Hard drive
Dvd writer
PCI Express ATI mobility x600 w/ 128mb video ram
has high speed wireless card and all that. It should be a real sweet maching especially considering its a laptop.
I opted for the 17 inch screen because although I wanted a laptop, I will be using it mostly as a desktop replacement.
Also, the PCI express video is said to be like agp 16x if they had it. 2x the memory bandwidth of AGP 8x.
It's nice that its coming just in time with AFP deluxe. How do you all think it will run on there? I think it should be nice.

Can't wait!!!
Thanks everyone. I'll put up some vids when I get it all going.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:38 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

WOW! Sweet system you are getting there. Looks like you'll be good to go!

Can't wait for your feedback ... that looks like the specs I'm going to get on my new Christmas present to me too!