Community
Search
Notices
Ikarus Aerofly flight simulators Get the answers to your technical questions about Ikarus' Aerofly flight simulators here in their official support forum

Aerofly and VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 07:23 AM
kolarshooter
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aerofly doesn't run..ARGHHH!!!

Well, I'm the boss, and $800.00 is more than I paid for my computer!
Old 01-11-2005, 07:28 AM
kolarshooter

ORIGINAL: STLPilot

I really hate to say this but I've been in computer industry for many years.

One of the reasons that these manufacturers use such fancy words like Pentium, Celeron, Rage, XP and other powerful words is to make common Joe computer shopper (which accounts for most of the buyers market) into fooling them into thinking that what they are getting is always the latest and greatest.

I've been the family computer shopper now for many years, cousins, brothers, parents etc. My advice to you is get in touch with the family computer person/geek (there is always one) and have him or her help you everytime you purchase or upgrade your computer. Don't listen to salesman or fancy magazine words or ads. Listen to people that you can trust and REALLY know what they are talking about.

Now my advice to you is to get an ATI 9800TX Raedon card. They are going for about 150+. Just do some websurfing to get your best price. Or goto Aeroflypro.com and look under requirements. You'll see other cards too. But before you or identify, come back and check with what you found.
Unfortunately, I'm the default computer geek...first time I've found myself wishing I was more of a geek! Hmm...I wonder if this computer is upgradable!?!?

Anyway... Thanks for all of your help.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:34 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

The computer does not need to be upgraded just the video card.

You must also find out if your slots are AGP or PCI or both. Also power supply wattage.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:31 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it is PCI on motherboard ony....try a Visiontek 9200 SE 128 MB it is a ATI based card. works good for me!!! C. City has them About 79 frogskins + tax a few more frogskins!
Old 01-11-2005, 02:06 PM
kolarshooter

The computer does not need to be upgraded just the video card.

You must also find out if your slots are AGP or PCI or both. Also power supply wattage.
Boy, I think I'm gonna be getting a quantum leap in my computer knowledge by the time this program is running...

Looking inside my computer, I see one large motherboard, my drives, and a couple of small plug-in boards...one is a soundblaster card, the other is a modem.

The power supply is a 250W unit.

I don't see any other larger boards...what I imagine a video card to look like (not that I'd have any idea just what one looks like...)

Is the aforementioned Visiontek 9200 SE 128 MB a viable candidate?

Thanks STLPilot...and anyone else who's helping me out here.
Old 01-11-2005, 02:45 PM
STLPilot

Did you get a list of contents when you purchased the computer?

That Visiontek is not recommended unless you have a very powerful PC with 8x slot.

Look at the requirements page at aeroflypro.com. Also your power supply is also marginal. You also need to find out if your running 4x or 8x slots.

Capn John what are you pulling (FPS) in on your Visiontek and what are you computer specs.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:29 PM
jonlowe
My Feedback: (12)

STLPilot,

That Visiontek card, Visiontek 9200 SE 128 MB , is an ATI based card that was on sale right after Xmas. There are two versions, one for AGP slots, and one for PCI slots. My dad got a computer for Xmas that had only 64mb of video ram for the onboard Intel graphics, so we bought a Visiontek PCI card, since he didn't have an AGP slot. It made a slight improvement in framerates with AFP, not Deluxe. If all you have is a PCI slot, it is barely adequate. Hopefully, this guy has an AGP slot. Even a 4x AGP would be better than a PCI slot card.

I've since found out that there are better PCI cards out there, but I lost the link I had that did a comparison between cards. That may be a good thing for you to have, as people want to upgrade older computers, or ones that don't have AGP slots.

Jon Lowe

Did you get a list of contents when you purchased the computer?

That Visiontek is not recommended unless you have a very powerful PC with 8x slot.

Look at the requirements page at aeroflypro.com. Also your power supply is also marginal. You also need to find out if your running 4x or 8x slots.

Capn John what are you pulling (FPS) in on your Visiontek and what are you computer specs.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:31 PM
kolarshooter

I've been corresponding with Compaq's support people. They've been amazingly helpful.

Here's his/her latest response:

"Dear Robert,

Thank you for writing back.

I see that the updated video driver did not help in installing Flight
Simulator on your Presario.

Robert, your Presario is shipped with an integrated graphics card. There
is one AGP slot and 2 PCI slots available on your Presario and you can
install the either an AGP card or PCI graphics card of 4x speed."

In my travels today, I swung by Staples and they had two video card candidates...

Contestant #1: ATI Radeon 9200 128MB @ $99.00
and
Contestant #2 Nvidia GeForce fx5500 PCI at $120.00

Are either of these viable? Based upon what I read at the Aerofly website, it looks like #1 might work.

How about it STLPilot...am I flying high...or deadstick?

Thanks for your patience!

Robert.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:36 PM
captinjohn

STLPilot...My computer is a HP a345w Pentiun 4 512 RAM I hope it keeps running good as it is. I get 50 -112 Frame rates. I have smoke on most the time which drops about 10 FPS. The models are clear as anything I have seen. It does not blink or hesitate at all ...only when some doumb pop up trys to get in. It is usally a re-new pop up of programs that have ran out. That is very rare right now. My RC friends that come over and fly it say they cannot beleive it could look or run any better. I am very pleased with the AFPD and the Visiontek Graphics card. Tell me this ..... at what Frame rates is it not good? Mine is nice down to 30? Give us some ideas on what to expect for frame rates in like 30...60...90...120...150..180...210 I would like to know that. Thanks Capt,n
Old 01-11-2005, 08:47 PM
captinjohn

They say AGP slot is the one to use....they say its faster? Not sure on that. AGP cards are more easy to find. The cost is less. Capt,n
Old 01-11-2005, 10:29 PM
bluemagic98

Hi

My daughter has a similar HP rig with the same grafix card the S3G that you indicated when i updated her card to a agp card I ussed a ATI 9600 128meg this card was listed at under $90 at www.newegg.com It did not require any additional power from the power supply and ran fine on the stock power supply. Well i was wrong its cheeper
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...164-023&depa=0
Old 01-12-2005, 09:11 AM
STLPilot

I suggest either the 9700 or 9800 ATI cards. 9200 cards are 4 or 5 years old.

Look on the web, you'll find good prices.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:20 AM
kolarshooter

Thanks again for everything!
Old 01-14-2005, 09:57 PM
kolarshooter

The best we could do was a 9600 (AGP). Still get the same message...only it looks much better ('cause of the much improved video card.)

I loaded the program on my old laptop (which was no video monster by any means...) and it will launch successfully (but won't recognize what is connected to the USB cable...oddly enough it "sees" and acknowledges the cable...but says it can't see the transmitter connected to it.)

Anyway...I really don't think this is a video card problem.

"AeroFly Professional Deluxe main excecutable has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." Blah Blah Blah. "Send Error Report" or "Don't Send"

Any other words of wisdom? The program won't open at all. On my old laptop I see everything...only the screen is about 1/4 size. The coffee cup, the menu, I can even hit fly...and it does, but I'm not in control.

I'm open to any ideas here.

Thanks in advance,

Robert.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:45 PM
kolarshooter

Well,

After some fiddling...I managed to get the program to open. I got a warning indicating that "no open gl graphics driver card found".

Well, I think that the 9600 series of cards supports Open GL, No?

I'm gonna get to the bottom of this. I certainly won't be the only anxious flyer buying this program trying to run it on a dinosaur computer.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Robert

I think I'll go sniff some glue now.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:37 PM
captinjohn

You are very close. I cannot remember. You may have to download a driver for it or a simple click in the right place. You will get it soon. I got to hit the hay...you know get some ZZZZZZZ. Good luck Capt,n
Old 01-14-2005, 11:42 PM
bluemagic98

I am sure that someone asked you if you ran the latest drivers from ATI http://www.ati.com/support/driver.html
also did you make sure and load the directx at the start of the disk it asks you if you want to install directx 9b or c
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

the 9c is available from microsoft it works fine also to check for system problems try running dxdiag.exe from the run box that will give you some clues as to why open gl isnt running another thought If a new vid card gives me trouble i will remove the new card and boot off the old one go to control panel system then device manager and remove any vid card drivers dont reboot shut it down install the new card reboot into setup then disable the onboard video then reboot again and windows will ask for the driver if you downloaded and ran the new driver allready windows will find that. allways run dxdiag.exe when your done. good luck
Old 01-15-2005, 04:06 PM
kolarshooter

WOW!

I got it to run after downloading drivers for hours from Microsoft and ATI. Our dial-up phone lines must have been burning up!

This absolutely ROCKS!

It's about the most realistic thing I've witnessed on a computer.

I have a question for those of you computer wizards running AFP Deluxe...which is what I'm running...

My screen size is about 3/4 of the available monitor screen. How can I make it full screen? Or am I limited by my hardware?

Thanks for your words of encouragement!
Old 01-15-2005, 04:30 PM
captinjohn

You may be able to adjust the size somewhat with your monitor controls. Also you can pick from different resolutions...that may change size some too. Good Luck. Capt,n
Old 01-15-2005, 05:24 PM
bluemagic98

under options it has the window mode checked by default the native screen size i beleive is 1280X1024 If it slows down your frame rate try a smaller size like 1024X768 or smaller good luck
Old 01-15-2005, 06:06 PM
kolarshooter

yup. I'm good to go with that now.

I'm getting used to this thing.

Funny thing...I don't get any engine sound or smoke on any of the models.

Retracts and flaps (on the T-6) work.

The yellow CAP makes my computer lock-up. Hmmm...

Favorite plane so far is the Extra with the red "blob" paint scheme (Matt's plane) No smoke or sound there either. Any Idea? I did configure a switch for smoke...same way I did for the flaps and retracts.

What a great program!

Thanks guys!
Old 01-15-2005, 07:16 PM
bluemagic98

you may have other driver issues what sound card do you have and have you looked in the device manager to see if you has any yellow exclamation marks in the little yellow yield signs that indicate a defunckt driver? Glad to see you have it running any way you may look in the sound and music section under file while in flying mode see what is and isnt selected by default the music is playing and if your sound card has issues you may find that turning off the music may free up the engine sound. I tryed editing a plane and moved the CG back a bit and what a differance in how easy it is to hover the plane Have a ball Ive killed about 6 radio batteries in the few days ive had this I think I need to buy a radio just for this sim.
Old 01-15-2005, 07:33 PM
kolarshooter

I have a sound blaster card. I'll go to their website to see if there might be some newer drivers.

On another note...I see you have an 80" Great Planes Cub. Is it the arf? If so, what is your impression of the quality of the kit? I was thinking of getting a putt-putt plane to supplement my F-90 and foamies. I had almost talked myself into a Goldberg Decathlon since it might be a little more fun in terms of aerobatics.

It won't be long before I have a Super Tigre G-90 freed up.. I'm going to try my hand at building a kit...the OMP profile Ultimate looks perfect. I'll be able to take it from my garage to the field without dissassembling it...it will JUST fit in my truck assembled! Saw breat video of it...and I can download one to fly on AFP! I think I'll do that right now!

See ya.
Old 01-15-2005, 09:50 PM
bluemagic98

i Havent found a decent cub to download I also wanted to find the c-5 they have a video of it on there site but i havent seen it. The great planes cub is 81" mine with no dihedral is 82" Its a tough plane its had a couple of minor putins and it keeps ticking do yourself a favor if you get this kit pin the hinge material they use in the struts ive ripped them out a few times now i put an elastic across the bottom to hold the struts in incase they pull the strutt out landing with one strutt hanging down can put a crimp in your day. I myself purchased this sim as to gear up for flying a wild hair 28% edge540t its a 50cc gasser still need motor and electrics but summer is a ways off. Just incase any of you wanted to know i put a futaba trainer box on the usb cord had to add a battery to the box but off it went. Curiosity got to me and i put a crystal and antena on it and it runns the plane as well guess there is more to a trainer box than sticks.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:00 PM
douglas198

Default RE: Aerofly and VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP

where do you find vidio an sound cards i have a game called schizm . tried to play but it froze my pc had to remove gam something about vidio and sound cards