Back for the first time

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 09:16 PM
Fear2722
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back for the first time

Hey all!

Probably 10-12 years ago I belonged to IMAC, and attended one JR IMAC Challenge in Rantoul, IL as a spectator. Hell it was probably 12-14 years ago now that I think of it.

Anyway, Looking to get in to it this next year, naturally starting off in the basic class. The only "scale" bird I have for the moment is my Hangar 9 Christen Eagle II. I am confident in my abilities with this aircraft, but never have flown a "Routine".

Aside from re-joining IMAC, where do I begin? Will the CE be good enough for the first year while I'm getting the hang of it? Any tips/advice are appreciated. I'm in the North Central region.

Thanks!

Donivan
Old 11-26-2012, 05:39 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Back for the first time

Visit an IMAC event, and look at what you like best. That should get you back on track real fast.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:06 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Go to the IMAC website and take a gander at the rules: Mini-IAC.com

The first thing is that for Basic Class a scale airplane is not required. Personally I would love to see someone show up and fly a CE though, major cool factor IMO. While on the IMAC site download and print out a copy of the basic sequence. Most guys are capable of "Flying" every manuver on the sequence. Notice what I did there? There is a huge difference between flying a Cuban eight and "performing" a cuban eight so that it scores well. The first thing you will need to do is set up your CE so that it will fly the sequence easily. For most guys this means reducing the rates, fine tuning the CG, get the engine thrust set correctly and making sure it is 100% reliable. Then comes the practice. For new aerobatics pilots, I suggest just going out and practice strait lines with turn around manuvers at each end. Almost everyone then realizes just how difficult that is. The goal is to position the airplane about 150' from the dead line and keep it there, with wings level while doing 1/2 cubans, humpty bumps or sharks tooth turn arounds. Practice this until you can keep the box depth, then start in on the sequence. Keep a relitive slow pace between manuvers, rushing the judges always ends up in poor scores.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:57 AM
underdw
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Find a mentor who can fly with you frequently!
Old 11-27-2012, 03:24 PM
FlyinTiger
My Feedback: (45)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While it may be getting cold and not very fun to fly at your local field you can still get in some practice. There's probably someone in your local area that is also an IMAC member and chances are they would love to get together over a cup of your favorite hot beverage and chat about the rules, walk you through the basic sequence using a stick plane and talk about common downgrades.

Biggest thing is to capitalize on your previous experience and not be shy about getting to know others. Attend a judging school in your region this coming Spring and be sure to read the rules...others have mentioned this, but it is so important. Several guys who flew IMAC in years past showed up at a contest I CD'd last year and hadn't read the current rules...it took a lot of time to help them during the contest and was a distraction. There were five guys like this who hadn't read the rules or practiced...don't be that guy!

Good luck! I'd love to be at the contest where the CE flies...it would be neat to see a classic aerobat be put through the paces.