IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Cap,Edge,Extra 60 size

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2003, 05:01 PM
Spanky1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cap,Edge,Extra 60 size

Good day.

I would like to move to a one of these planes in a .60 size, Kit if possible, scratch build an option also. Currently I fly a Modeltech Extra w/a .35 os. It moves like a rocket. No complaints though. Whip snap response in the air and flys very scale. It seems REAL squirrely, landings are nerve racking, and it has a very prominent high speed tip stall.

Question: In reference to the above, will going to a bigger plane magnify these characteristics? If so I don't have enough hair on my head for landing a cruise missle. Or does going bigger in effect start making the planes more stable? i.e. landings.

Any recommendations on plans or kit would be appreciated. I don't believe there is anything offered that a .60 would give unlimited vertical is there?

Any help thanks.
Spanky
Old 09-20-2003, 07:29 PM
RCAIR-BAM

Default RE: Cap,Edge,Extra 60 size

Size does matter but you could also be to far back with the cg or to much throw on the elevator. I had an H 9 edge 120 size like that, when I moved the cg forward 1/2 an inch it flew much better. Try moving the cg forward first it can only make it a little better not worse. The tip stall makes it sound like to much elevator or not balanced laterally. I would try the cg first.
Kevin
Old 09-20-2003, 08:12 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Great Planes Extra is a very good flying plane. A 60 probably wouldn't take it unlimited vertical; you'd want a 90 for that. If you have a 60 lying around, the 40 size kit is also very good. I'm flying my 40 size Extra with a Supertigre 75 and it has ballistic performance, yet slows down quite well on landings. The bigger they are, the better they fly. The Goldberg Extra is another good flying plane, and again you'd want a 90 2 stroke in it to make it really perform.
Old 09-21-2003, 06:50 AM
Spanky1

Thanks you guys. I'll look at the CG after I fix it from this last landing. I happened by an airstrip last night and asked the same question. Sort of the same response. However, a couple of guys said " on landing, tip the ailerons up"???????? I thought having dual servos ment putting them DOWN on landing?
In this little extra, maybe hard trimming the ailerons UP would do it.
Oh well, more trial and error.

Thanks
Spanky
Old 09-21-2003, 09:38 AM
Spanky1

Ok I think I've narrowed it down to 2. Either the GP Cap 232 .40 or the GP Giles G202 kit. The Giles has a little bigger wing span. To me this would aid me on landings.

Any suggestions on the two?

Thanks
Spanky
Old 09-24-2003, 12:04 AM
live_2_crash
My Feedback: (84)

ok i don't know if this will hepl but i have the gp g-202 and it flies great
and slows for a mild landing
i would recomend this plane to anyone
but i go have a question for you guys
according to the plans it balances 5 1/4 inches
back from the leading edqe at the fuse
well inorder for it to be balanced there i need 2 more ounces of weight on the tail
but as it is it snaps very easily with more than a breath of elevator
and inorder to do aerobatics this needs to be fixed
do you have any more suggestions on how i can fix it
thanks alot
Old 09-24-2003, 07:24 AM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

Go to www.vectorflight.com all they make are .60 extra edge suhkoi arfs.. I have the 58" extra and it flys superb and the arf is well built. they range from 149 to 189 dollars ..........
Old 09-30-2003, 06:25 PM
gare
My Feedback: (2)

Any of the Yellow Aircraft 60/90 size planes. They fly as well as a lot of larger planes. They like a 90 2 stroke, 90 to a 110 4 stroke. That may be more plane and motor that what your shopping for but they are a good size to move into to. My 14 year old son flies the Cap with a YS91. That show has to be seen to be believed.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:29 PM
majortom

Spanky, when they say "tip the ailerons up" they're in effect saying deploy your flaperons as spoilerons (both ailerons up instead of down), which will change the aerodynamic angle of attack in the wing, get your plane down on the ground easier. Normally you would mix in (or hold) a bit of same elevator with the flaperons/ spoilerons, so you'd be slowing your landing down either way, but flaps down makes the plane float while spoilers up makes it sink.
Old 10-01-2003, 10:10 AM
Spanky1

Thanks for the input. Settled for the Cap 232. I have to tell you, after working on the last couple of kits from garage sales and some kits 20yrs old, this Great Planes kit is FANTASTIC! They have come a long way baby.

majortom, I understand what you are saying.
I think the guys comments on the spoileron based his statement on the theory that with the ailerons up, as you apply direction, one aileron will drop, increasing the lift to that side of the wing. Rather than with the ailerons down, when one raises, you have taken away the lift to that side inducing a stall or could induce a stall/tip stall more rapidly. In theory it makes sense. Does that sound right?

Spank