Search
Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

TBM 35% Extra 260 Aileron servos?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 10:05 AM
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TBM 35% Extra 260 Aileron servos?

To all who have this plane,

Did you install two servos in each wing or leave it with the recommended 1 servo per wing? What's the torque of the servos? 4.8v or 6.0v? Anybody have problems with stability, (plane bouncing around in flight), on the single servo setup? Anyone that has the hand knowledge please respond.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 10-06-2003, 12:05 PM

Default RE: TBM 35% Extra 260 Aileron servos?

This is for a 6 v setup with Hitec 5945 or JR8411 servos. Our first TBM had the short aileron and one servo, set up for 20 degrees on low and 45 on high. For 3D this setup had plenty of power. At anything above 1/2 throttle the servo would not move the surface more than about 20 deg, ie roll rate was the same for high and low rates at high speed. The servo would hold whatever position it was in and did not cause any stability problems. If you started a roll at low speed and high rate, then advance the throttle, it would hold the surface at full deflection and it rolled very fast. This setup also ate up geartrains in about 100-150 flight. TBM #2 has the full length aileron and 2 servos. Setup for the same high and low rates, it has plenty of power at any speed and gear train is no longer a problem.

If you're going with the short aileron and 20-30 deg deflection, I think one servo would be ok. For the long aileron or 40+ deg throw, use 2 servos.

Tracy Hill
Old 10-06-2003, 03:52 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Howdy Bill! It's Kelly. I had a blast hanging out with you and Chris in Trenton this weekend and thought I'd chime in on your question. Carlos originally had 1 8411 in his Von-Extra wing but decided to add another and noted quite a large improvment in stability and sharpness. I know you fly the 5945's, so if I was you I would run 2 5945's per aileron. Hope to talk to you soon. Tell Chris I said hey.

-Kelly
Old 10-07-2003, 10:26 AM
My Feedback: (18)

Hey Kelly, Congrats again on your second place in Trenton. I talked to Carlos while we were there and he told me the same thing, and this falls inline with Tracy Hills post also. I e-mailed Baron and Fred Johnson on the subject too, because I couldn't remember if he was running duels on his. I'm going to either modify my existing wings or talk to Gene about swapping them for the two servo version since I just now started on them, "only cut the ailerons loose so far". Look forward to seeing you soon, Chris said hi.

Bill
Old 10-07-2003, 04:34 PM
My Feedback: (17)

I've had my Extra for over a year now. One 5945 per wing and elevator. It does everything flawlessly. In fact for some of the crap I've put it through it's been absolutely amazing hah! www.troybuiltmodels.com/terry.html (PS it can do IMAC to ).

I can't see adding more unnecessary weight to anything, especially the wings. Less momentum is crutial to stopping those snaps and rolls. But whichever way you feel more comfortable then go for it! That's what it's all about really, or else you won't have fun with it.