Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Midwest Extra 300 options

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 10:34 PM
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Midwest Extra 300 options

O.K., I think I have decided on the midwest extra kit as a transitional plane on my way to a Carden or the like. Any building tips, pros and cons of the kit, weight reduction suggestions? What would be the max engine for this frame?(gas) Thanks
Old 01-30-2004, 10:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Midwest Extra 300 options

I'd recommend a 50cc gas engine. I built mine pretty much stock, just replaced the belly stringers with balsa. You can check out a video of mine with a Brison 3.2 at www.rcsites.net/flyfalcons
Old 02-01-2004, 04:59 PM

I built the kit a couple of years ago.
Ath that time no cowl or wheel pants came with the kit and you will have to get these from somewhere else.
www.stansfibertech.com would be a good place to get them.

The kit is a well designed kit and flys great. Do some lightening by opening up the existing lightening holes and lighten the plywood joiner spar by drilling holes in it as well. Be careful on the spar joiner so as not to weaken it.

I put a Moki 2.10 on mine, and btw use a Menz-S 20X10 not a Zinger, you will get better performance with the menz.

I hope this helps good luck, and have fun.
Old 02-01-2004, 05:13 PM
My Feedback: (16)

I would enlarge the rudder. Other than that, it is a good ship.
Old 02-04-2004, 03:36 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

There is alot of info on this plane here, it's a very popular plane, and for good reason. When I built mine, I lightened the wing by replacing spruce spars, with balso, and lamintated carbon fiber strips on top between the spar/sheeting. I ran the strips out about 2/3 the span of each half. Also enlarged the lightening holes that are already presenit in the fusalage by about 1/4" or so. Then of course a good dose of sandpaper all the way around getting every bit of non-wanted mass. Did the rudder too, enlarged by about 2" I think, and elev's about 3/4", it reallly has a more asthetically pleasing look this way also I think.
BME 50 for power...not cheap mind you, but it's really the only way I would go if I built another....no less then the 50 anyways...and it does have plenty of power to leap out of a hover nearly. It does take a bit of finesse though, as from my observatioin, with that much power you can easily tear one of these up. Don't get me wrong though, the kit does build very strong, but when you take the lighter approach precaution must be taken. I' really think though that the wing with c/f in it is much stronger with less flex, and just the weight of the wood difference was almost 1/2lb. Each spruce spar by my scale said it weighed between 3 and 4oz's, and the balsa weighed less then 1oz. That is x4 remember, so it all adds up. I think a c/f spiinner, and c/f gear would make quite a diff also. That kind of stuff isn't cheap though.. . Mine is going strong though, and I'm looking at a good year of flying ahead. Good luck, and keep us posted on progress.